Measuring the Ventilation in Amtrak Superliner Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertflyer

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I got a new toy recently, an Aranet4. It measures CO2 concentration in a given space, which is one way you can get an idea of how well ventilated the space is. This is especially important at the moment given the airborne virus causing the pandemic. Here is a scientific paper from the University of Colorado on the topic for those who have an interest: Carbon dioxide levels reflect COVID-19 risk: Research confirms value of measuring carbon dioxide to estimate infection risk

So with my new toy, I've been recording CO2 concentration in a bunch of different places, especially public transportation. It's interesting to see how buses, ferries, and trains differ. I brought my Aranet4 on the Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, and the New Mexico Railrunner in December. I figured I'd share here since it's interesting to me, so maybe it is to someone else too!

In a well-ventilated space you can expect 430-500ppm concentration of CO2. 500-1000ppm is likely influenced by the people in the space. 1000+ppm is typically a sign of poor ventilation.

OKJ - LAX on the Coast Starlight in Superliner II Roomette 6
In the measured roomette were two adults, the temperature was set to cold, and the air vent was open.

A chart showing the CO2 and temperature of a Superliner II roomette. The CO2 measured varies from 1200ppm to 2100ppm.

As you can see, the roomette varied pretty significantly from CO2 1,000ppm to 2,100ppm. Generally, we felt like the room was a tad too warm. What is interesting is that our stop at SLO was from 3:09pm - 3:37pm, which had the door open. I believe that is the cause of the significantly lowered CO2 and improved ventilation for the room. What I didn't expect was that after that point, the CO2 stayed lower for quite a while.

Overall, I think the air exchange in the roomette for this trip is not even close to what Amtrak advertises. They claim air on the trains is exchanged every 4-5 minutes.

LAX - ABQ on the Southwest Chief in Superliner II Bedroom C
In the measure bedroom were two adults, the temperature was set to cold, and the air vent was open.

Amtrak-co2-ppm-dec25-2021.png

From the time we boarded until approximately 7am the next day, the air was being exchanged much faster than on the previous train. I don't know if this is because the bedroom is larger with more air coming in, or something else. The room got quite warm in the morning as we approached ABQ. It was also cold outside the train, which may have been a factor for how the HVAC system was operating.

ABQ - Santa Fe on the NM Railrunner Bombardier Bi-Level VI Coach
This train was quite crowded at about 70% load factor at peak. We sat upstairs and were able to have four seats for the two of us.
NMRR-ABQ-SF-dec26.png

The ventilation of the Railrunner Bombardiers seems like it did fairly well considering the number of people on board. I would still question the air exchange rates that transit agencies have stated about similar trainsets. Unfortunately, I don't have an Amtrak Superliner Coach recorded to compare.

To me, it seems like it would be really beneficial for Amtrak and Railrunner to install MERV-13 filters and perhaps even UV lights on the HVAC systems. I know in the Bay Area, both BART and SMART have done this and although it doesn't improve ventilation, it cleans the recirculated air. It's pretty clear to me that the amount of air being exchanged from outside the train varies significantly depending on what the HVAC system is doing at any given moment, so if a lot of air is being recirculated, cleaning that air could be beneficial for health.

I will do the return trip as a follow-up post.

Last edited:
I got a new toy recently, an Aranet4. It measures CO2 concentration in a given space, which is one way you can get an idea of how well ventilated the space is. This is especially important at the moment given the airborne virus causing the pandemic. Here is a scientific paper from the University of Colorado on the topic for those who have an interest: Carbon dioxide levels reflect COVID-19 risk: Research confirms value of measuring carbon dioxide to estimate infection risk

So with my new toy, I've been recording CO2 concentration in a bunch of different places, especially public transportation. It's interesting to see how buses, ferries, and trains differ. I brought my Aranet4 on the Coast Starlight, Southwest Chief, and the New Mexico Railrunner in December. I figured I'd share here since it's interesting to me, so maybe it is to someone else too!

In a well-ventilated space you can expect 430-500ppm concentration of CO2. 500-1000ppm is likely influenced by the people in the space. 1000+ppm is typically a sign of poor ventilation.

OKJ - LAX on the Coast Starlight in Superliner II Roomette 6
In the measured roomette were two adults, the temperature was set to cold, and the air vent was open.

View attachment 26628

As you can see, the roomette varied pretty significantly from CO2 1,000ppm to 2,100ppm. Generally, we felt like the room was a tad too warm. What is interesting is that our stop at SLO was from 3:09pm - 3:37pm, which had the door open. I believe that is the cause of the significantly lowered CO2 and improved ventilation for the room. What I didn't expect was that after that point, the CO2 stayed lower for quite a while.

Overall, I think the air exchange in the roomette for this trip is not even close to what Amtrak advertises. They claim air on the trains is exchanged every 4-5 minutes.

LAX - ABQ on the Southwest Chief in Superliner II Bedroom C
In the measure bedroom were two adults, the temperature was set to cold, and the air vent was open.

View attachment 26629

From the time we boarded until approximately 7am the next day, the air was being exchanged much faster than on the previous train. I don't know if this is because the bedroom is larger with more air coming in, or something else. The room got quite warm in the morning as we approached ABQ. It was also cold outside the train, which may have been a factor for how the HVAC system was operating.

ABQ - Santa Fe on the NM Railrunner Bombardier Bi-Level VI Coach
This train was quite crowded at about 70% load factor at peak. We sat upstairs and were able to have four seats for the two of us.
View attachment 26630

The ventilation of the Railrunner Bombardiers seems like it did fairly well considering the number of people on board. I would still question the air exchange rates that transit agencies have stated about similar trainsets. Unfortunately, I don't have an Amtrak Superliner Coach recorded to compare.

To me, it seems like it would be really beneficial for Amtrak and Railrunner to install MERV-13 filters and perhaps even UV lights on the HVAC systems. I know in the Bay Area, both BART and SMART have done this and although it doesn't improve ventilation, it cleans the recirculated air. It's pretty clear to me that the amount of air being exchanged from outside the train varies significantly depending on what the HVAC system is doing at any given moment, so if a lot of air is being recirculated, cleaning that air could be beneficial for health.

I will do the return trip as a follow-up post.

How you feeling?

How you feeling?

In terms of health? Both my partner and I feel well and have tested negative twice since we've returned home. I think that sleeper travel is still relatively safe since I bet most of that CO2 is our own. I would be really concerned if the numbers are that high in coach. We ate all meals in our rooms.

On the Railrunner we double-masked with one KN95/N95 mask. In Santa Fe, we didn't eat or drink indoors and always wore N95/KN95 masks when indoors around others. It was, of course, quite cold at times, but we managed.

That is quite interesting. Those temps seem hot to me, and indeed I general ly do feel hot on the train. I always turn the knob to cold and the open the vent to high and have never really known if it makes a difference…the temp seems to not be affected by those actions. This on a super liner roomette.

and I still haven’t figured out the music and volume controls

That is quite interesting. Those temps seem hot to me, and indeed I general ly do feel hot on the train. I always turn the knob to cold and the open the vent to high and have never really known if it makes a difference…the temp seems to not be affected by those actions. This on a super liner roomette.

and I still haven’t figured out the music and volume controls
The music hasn't worked for at least 25 years....

My experience is that the temperature knob only controls a baseboard heater by the window. The heat comes out of the holes under the window.

So this means: It only works if the heater is activated and working. They seem to deactivate them in warm weather, and even if it's cold you can't rely on it working.

The only control you have for the air vent is open/closed. You can't control the temperature.

The audio controls were for an old system similar to what airliners had back in the day. There was a multi-track tape loop and you could select channels with different music genres. Maintenance of the tape players and licensing fees most likely killed it. Channel 1 should still work for the intercom.

Thank you for sharing these data! Certainly something we haven't seen before. It is fun to be able to measure and quantify things - something I really enjoy.

Interesting to see the variation with trains, location and time. Even though some levels were slightly over the recommended amounts, nothing I saw here would dissuade me from riding Amtrak. Others, of course, might react differently.

Thanks again for the info.

Back