Mechanical Solari Board to return to Philadelphia 30th Street Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s my understanding that it’s not easy to keep running (maintenance & parts).
That would make sense, and probably more sense than blaming ADA on its demise. After all, the one in Baltimore worked perfectly well with the video monitors and automated announcements.

I wonder if it might be possible for Amtrak to partner with a museum, who would take responsibility for keeping the artifact in working condition.

That would make sense, and probably more sense than blaming ADA on its demise. After all, the one in Baltimore worked perfectly well with the video monitors and automated announcements.

I wonder if it might be possible for Amtrak to partner with a museum, who would take responsibility for keeping the artifact in working condition.
Isn’t it at the PA RR museum in Strasbourg?

Isn’t it at the PA RR museum in Strasbourg?
Well ten, maybe the PA RR museum could operate the board at the station, in partnership with Amtrak, using separate funding (federal or state grants, a fundraising campaign, etc.) to keep this bit of technology history operating. And while they're at it, maybe raise some funds to pay for someone to operate a hand-lettered chalkboard listing arrivals and departures, like they used to have at 30th. Street before they got the Solari Board.

I’m glad it will be back in any form.

However, I would love it to be functional. I understand the need for ADA compliance. For some reason, however, I could read the Solari board just fine but cannot see the display on the new boards (perhaps glare from a cataract developing).

So I’m sure the ADA requirement helps some people. But last time I was in a station, I had to ask someone what the status of my train was on the board because I couldn’t read it. She said her mother has the same problem.

I’m glad it will be back in any form.

However, I would love it to be functional. I understand the need for ADA compliance. For some reason, however, I could read the Solari board just fine but cannot see the display on the new boards (perhaps glare from a cataract developing).

So I’m sure the ADA requirement helps some people. But last time I was in a station, I had to ask someone what the status of my train was on the board because I couldn’t read it. She said her mother has the same problem.
I don't think the ADA is the real reason why they took it down. I suspect it was a matter of the expense of operating an antiquated technology where parts and the skill to keep it running may be in short supply. They just used the ADA as an excuse.

I agree! Bring back the Chalk Boards. They are even more quaint. I bet someone misses the squeak of chalks LOL! It will enhance employment opportunities too! ;)
A few restaurant concepts are doing this for menu boards and signage - so the commercial artists could and should certainly be encouraging the employment enhancing opportunities...

Wasn’t the ADA issue the inability to display announcements for the deaf/HoH?

I believe it was, and obviously I have no problem with that issue being addressed and rectified. But in solving one problem, it created another for those of us who don’t see as clearly as we used to.

Wasn’t the ADA issue the inability to display announcements for the deaf/HoH?
Yes. That issue has not gone away and is not going to be addressed by any restored mechanical Solari Board, no matter how much the good Congressman may desire.

But 30th St is a big station. I am sure they can find a place to hang the old board without requiring the removal of the more modern electronic board. And while at it they should probably get better, more legible electronic boards too. BTW, I believe the new board is also a Solari one, just not a mechanical one.

Having a board pretending to display information that is in fact static could be a recipe for misinformation.

Having a board pretending to display information that is in fact static could be a recipe for misinformation.
I agree. But it is also true the 30th St. has plenty of space to have two active boards. In fact the great hall to the side with the sculptures on the wall would be a great place for the historic board. And it should be operational. My fear is they won't find the funds to do the operational part unless some local outfit steps in, Maybe the good Congressman could contribute some from his large stash. :D

Last edited:
Although some hurricane (name I can't quite remember) kept me from travelling from DLD by train to the grand opening of Washington DC Union Station in September, 1988, I started spending countless hours there over these past 35 years. My memory has again failed me. Did WAS at one time have a functioning and operating Solari in the great hall when the renovations were completed in 1988?? Also, short list of currently functioning Solaris in US railroad stations???

My guess is that when (if?) it returns to 30th Street, it will be a special display perhaps rotating through a programmed loop of legacy Pennsylvania Railroad trains in the north waiting room. It was a neat contraption, but I bet that thing was a mechanical nightmare to keep working. Then linking the mechanical to the electronic train status data - likely another nightmare. Every so often the Solari would go bonkers and show trains going from from Pittsburgh to Trenton or from Boston to Vermont (via PHL?) with goofy combination letters and numbers train numbers. I greatly prefer the new board - brighter, larger font, easier to read, and not as inclined to lose its mind. Maybe I'm the only one. :)

IMG_1914.JPG

Last edited:
Unless they display train names of long ago that once graced the board: the Broadway Limited, the Morning Congressional, the Duquesne, the Manhattan Limited....so many possibilities!

30579[/ATTACH]

I do see your points. The problem for me is that it is harder to read. The white print on a black background was much easier than white on light blue and I’m assuming LED lighting. Because of the lack of contrast and the bright glare, it’s hard with a cataract to see the writing on the display.

To be fair, my eyes are not what they were when the Solari board was active so it may partly be me.

Back