Memphis, TN

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent a full day docked in Memphis on October 11, on my Mississippi River cruise. Our Hop On, Hop Off shore excursion buses took us to various tourist attractions from our landing location. We walked from the Civil Rights Museum over to Central Station, then up Main Street along the MATA trolley route all the way up to Beale Street and over to the Rock and Soul Museum. We did not at all feel we were in any danger. Local people were friendly, and there were plenty of tourists around. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.

Attachments

• IMG_6507.jpeg
    IMG_6507.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6508.jpeg
    IMG_6508.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6513.jpeg
    IMG_6513.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6512.jpeg
    IMG_6512.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6516.jpeg
    IMG_6516.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6515.jpeg
    IMG_6515.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
Some more from Memphis…

Attachments

• IMG_6517.jpeg
    IMG_6517.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6522.jpeg
    IMG_6522.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6520.jpeg
    IMG_6520.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6524.jpeg
    IMG_6524.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6546.jpeg
    IMG_6546.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6556.jpeg
    IMG_6556.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6554.jpeg
    IMG_6554.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6591.jpeg
    IMG_6591.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6593.jpeg
    IMG_6593.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
I have some travel questions; my mother is planning a group trip from Hammond to Memphis and was wondering how get around from the train station/hotel (planning on staying at the Central Station Hotel) to Graceland.

We were wanting to take an Uber but my father wants to rent a car/van so what is your opinion on this?

We are also needing restaurant suggestions for when we get off the train.

The trip isn't until June, but we are planning ahead.

Also, any sightseeing places you suggest.
My suggestion is to go to the Memphis tourism website. I’m sure they can give you ideals.

I spent a full day docked in Memphis on October 11, on my Mississippi River cruise. Our Hop On, Hop Off shore excursion buses took us to various tourist attractions from our landing location. We walked from the Civil Rights Museum over to Central Station, then up Main Street along the MATA trolley route all the way up to Beale Street and over to the Rock and Soul Museum. We did not at all feel we were in any danger. Local people were friendly, and there were plenty of tourists around. We thoroughly enjoyed our time there.
Memphis is a different place @ Night!

It mostly resembles New Orleans as George said. As for Crime and being fleeced @ Tourist Traps( Beale Street and Graceland) it depends on where you are, but in the Daytime it's like most Big Cities.

Last edited:
Memphis is a different place @ Night!

It mostly resembles New Orleans as George said. As for Crime and being fleeced @ Tourist Traps( Beale Street and Graceland it depends on where you are, but in the Daytime it's like most Big Cities.

Yes We are not planning on going anywhere at night, we were just worrying about food when we got there, like a place on same block or street as we would be in coach for this trip.

We will just have to bring food onboard or find something in cafe car.

Thank you all for your suggestions and advice.

Back