Menu Changes Again?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I was reading here that the appetizers on the CZ and SWC are now gone. Also, the menu may be a bit more limited. Anyone seen this first hand?

If they are gone, it sure did not last long.

I am torn over the appetizers on the menu.

Sleeping car passengers use to have a simple rule for meals. Everything on the menu is included.

Adding appetizers to the menu, but not including them for sleeping car passengers, only added confusion and complexity to what was originally so simple.

I am torn over the appetizers on the menu.
Sleeping car passengers use to have a simple rule for meals. Everything on the menu is included.

Adding appetizers to the menu, but not including them for sleeping car passengers, only added confusion and complexity to what was originally so simple.
I know someone has already posted this but I wanted to say that I saw it first hand. You CANNOT substitute an appetizer for an entree. I wonder what bean counting genius figured they could save money by not letting a pax have a $6 appetizer versus an $18 flat iron?

I was reading here that the appetizers on the CZ and SWC are now gone. Also, the menu may be a bit more limited. Anyone seen this first hand?
If they are gone, it sure did not last long.
Yes, new menus. Blue cover replaced yellow cover, and no appetizers. I can't recall other changes offhand and neglected to photograph it despite seeing it eleven times on the EB!

Steak cooked to order, fish (varies, it was good trout on 28), game hen, and vegetarian dish (I ate it but can't recall what sort of pasta on the way out, because I was enjoying the scenery and my dining friend, but lasagna on the return) are the only dinner selections. Didn't the burger appear as a dinner option before, or was that only ore-December? Likewise, I can't recall if the pizza was on the previous new menu.

Lunch was burger (beef, turkey, or garden, except no garden for now because of a nationwide product recall), hot special (open-faced turkey on biscuit with gravy on 28), sandwich special (I think it's been chicken salad on every train I've taken), and Caesar salad (chicken optional). No pizza. Well, and no "just mozzarella sticks for lunch" option).

Omelette, scrambled eggs (with grits or potatoes), French toast, or continental for breakfast. Juice and coffee both included.

Note that neither juice nor coffee are included with the current Diner Lite breakfast. So eggs, OJ, and coffee costs $6 on the EB but $9 (6+1.75+1.25) on the LSL!

I'll let you know what the Diner Lite lunch menu looks like in about five hours, since I'm on 48 right now.

Yes, just returned from SWC, Coast Starlight and EB and the new menu is very limited compared to past trains in January. No pizza, no appetizers, fish was trout, salmon. Now paying $5 for wine and cheese on the Coast Starlight, still free on the EB. Menus dont seem to deviate anymore. EB was special but now the same as other trains. The food was generally very good but the same menu on all trains gets old after two weeks. Looking forward to CONO train in Oct to see what differences there are. Fantastic diner crews on all trains this time. What an enjoyable experience that was!! :p

Was the flat iron really just $18 before? It's $21 now ($16 for fish, $13 for game hen, $11 for vegetarian, some may be 50 cents on top of those dollar amounts, sorry but my memory isn't THAT good).

Come to think of it, I'm not sure whether the EB 27 in late April had the yellow (December) new menus or the blue (newer no appetizers menus) but I'm pretty sure there were no appetizers.

Photography to the rescue! The yellow menu had the same dinner prices, but also a fifth option (country-fried... I mean, chef's evening marketplace special), plus yes, the burger for dinner. Lunch was the same but with specialty fresh salad instead of Caesar. Also the yellow menu had a fifth option (special) now not on the menu.

The Diner Lite breakfast menu has not changed since the Cardinal of September 30 2007. As it's a completely separate menu from other meals I can't compare the rest yet.

Your on-board reporter, Will.

Was the flat iron really just $18 before? It's $21 now ($16 for fish, $13 for game hen, $11 for vegetarian, some may be 50 cents on top of those dollar amounts, sorry but my memory isn't THAT good).Your on-board reporter, Will.
Will;

The flat iron is $18 on the CCC and still $21 in the full service diners. They lowered a lot of prices on the Cross Country Cafes menus.(i.e.,IIRC, domestic beer is $5 in a regular diner and only $4 in the CCC.) I just hope that the blue menu is NOT the original SDS back again. It was the ultimate disaster and it was blue; the same color I was after trying to eat off of it!

Was the flat iron really just $18 before? It's $21 now ($16 for fish, $13 for game hen, $11 for vegetarian, some may be 50 cents on top of those dollar amounts, sorry but my memory isn't THAT good).Your on-board reporter, Will.
Will;

The flat iron is $18 on the CCC and still $21 in the full service diners. They lowered a lot of prices on the Cross Country Cafes menus.(i.e.,IIRC, domestic beer is $5 in a regular diner and only $4 in the CCC.) I just hope that the blue menu is NOT the original SDS back again. It was the ultimate disaster and it was blue; the same color I was after trying to eat off of it!
Rest assured, it's not old-SDS again. Steak still cooked to order, game hen, no country-fried special, no bob evan's scramble. And no menus 1,2,3--no obvious number anywhere suggesting there are multiple menus. But the fish and vegetarian dinners vary train to train and so do the hot and cold lunch specials.

Does this mean that I can't get a side of meat with my eggs/french toast at breakfast?

Diner-Lite is a former cafe car converted into a quasi dining car. It was given a large freezer, steam table, and a few other changes, but by and large is not a full fledged dining car. They can't cook anything to order as there is no grill or ovens with which to cook things. Everything is either heated in the steam table or a convection oven.

Diner-Lite is a former cafe car converted into a quasi dining car. It was given a large freezer, steam table, and a few other changes, but by and large is not a full fledged dining car. They can't cook anything to order as there is no grill or ovens with which to cook things. Everything is either heated in the steam table or a convection oven.
What do they offer & what routes do they serve?

What do they offer & what routes do they serve?
Currently only the Lake Shore and the Cardinal run with a Diner-Lite car.

Was on the EB out and back to Seattle on 6 June - 8 June. Same menu every day. I am not much of a meat or fish eater. [ Thats just me] So I had to eat dinner some times and lunch other times. Pasta got old quick. I did however get juice and coffee at breakfest. Our breakfest mate asked for eggs sunny side up and got them no problem. Great crew all around.

just to clarify for me: is it true that non- alcoholic beverages are not included in meals for sleeper pax anymore or is it just breakfast and, if so, whose brilliant idea was this?
Coffee, tea, pop, milk, juice are included with all meals for sleeper car passengers, no charge.

so on the new menu what are like the real choices i am taking the CZ from chi to emy which is like forever and a day so ill have a lot of meals on board cause i have a roomette are there really only 3 dinner choices

also i am taking the Capitol Limited from New York Pen to CHI will that be the same menu as on the CZ

so on the new menu what are like the real choices i am taking the CZ from chi to emy which is like forever and a day so ill have a lot of meals on board cause i have a roomette are there really only 3 dinner choices
also i am taking the Capitol Limited from New York Pen to CHI will that be the same menu as on the CZ
Capitol Limited goes from Washington DC to Chicago. Do you mean the Lake Shore Limited?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back