Menu Changes (October 2017)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like the french toast selection - for breakfast is gone - I really liked that one. and I will NOT be trying the Mussels had them once at a restaurant - one time too many!

Hope they bring back the french toast for breakfast

It seems like the french toast selection - for breakfast is gone - I really liked that one. and I will NOT be trying the Mussels had them once at a restaurant - one time too many!

Hope they bring back the french toast for breakfast
Amtrak rotates the Menu between French Toast and Pancakes. IMO neither is particularly good, but OK with Butter and Syrup. ( the French Toast Sticks served on the Cardinal are pretty bad in most people's opinion.)

It seems like the french toast selection - for breakfast is gone - I really liked that one. and I will NOT be trying the Mussels had them once at a restaurant - one time too many! Hope they bring back the french toast for breakfast
Amtrak rotates the Menu between French Toast and Pancakes. IMO neither is particularly good, but OK with Butter and Syrup. ( the French Toast Sticks served on the Cardinal are pretty bad in most people's opinion.)
There was a time when the French Toast was actually pretty good. Since then it has varied from okay to bad and back again. I've never found the pancakes to be appetizing, with or without butter/syrup/jam. Maybe pancakes simply don't mix with train kitchens?

I am traveling the Southwest Chief tomorrow. According to the menus on Amtrak.com, the SWC menu has not been updated. I'll see if this is just a misprint or if they have the updated menu tomorrow.

I actually like the new selections, but was a bit surprised ( I know I shouldn't be) by the sodium content, even on some of the lower calorie/lower fat entrees.
Yes sodium counts are very high, in particular with the entrees that are pre-made and then reheated on board.

As someone who has to watch sodium in take like a hawk, I have to chose very carefully.

The short ribs dinner special packs in at 100% of your recommended sodium in take for a full day.

http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/restimg2/force/template/1/Amtrak__Food_Facts/w459/h337/AMFF-FALL-2017-39.pdf

Ken

There are items that are going to be high in sodium where you expect it. When it is over the top in an item that could probably be prepared with considerably less, that's what bothers me.

I just took the TE DAL-LAX and the Starlight LAX-OAK. On Each train, it was the crew's first trip preparing the menu.

I liked the Chilaquiles. They were pretty spicy one time, but just medium heat the other time. A bit chewy, but the flavors were pretty good for Amtrak.

The salmon was really overcooked.

The sea & land is now a crab cake and steak. I liked it okay, although it reminds me of something you'd get at an Applebee's (I imagine, never been to one). It's almost too much food to consume in a single sitting.

The risotto was just so-so. Without the chicken it would be a small serving.

A seatmate had the mussels and said they were really good. I think it needs another side or something since it's just a big bowl of mussels with sauce.

The desserts were good. The chocolate and raspberry was really rich. No dining car had the pumpkin version of the cheesecake, unfortunately. The pecan tart is also so rich that you could share it between two people. I had a lemon tart which was only offered in the PPC and it was very tart - I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite dessert of the trip. Only in the PPC did they bother to plate the cheesecake and it made the dish much more appealing. I wish they'd bring back some fruit sauce for the cheesecake. Now there is also a dab of whip cream on every dessert (depending on the crew).

Please excuse my while I go for a long bike ride to work off all of those calories.

I just took the TE DAL-LAX and the Starlight LAX-OAK. On Each train, it was the crew's first trip preparing the menu.

I liked the Chilaquiles. They were pretty spicy one time, but just medium heat the other time. A bit chewy, but the flavors were pretty good for Amtrak.

The salmon was really overcooked.

The sea & land is now a crab cake and steak. I liked it okay, although it reminds me of something you'd get at an Applebee's (I imagine, never been to one). It's almost too much food to consume in a single sitting.

The risotto was just so-so. Without the chicken it would be a small serving.

A seatmate had the mussels and said they were really good. I think it needs another side or something since it's just a big bowl of mussels with sauce.

The desserts were good. The chocolate and raspberry was really rich. No dining car had the pumpkin version of the cheesecake, unfortunately. The pecan tart is also so rich that you could share it between two people. I had a lemon tart which was only offered in the PPC and it was very tart - I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite dessert of the trip. Only in the PPC did they bother to plate the cheesecake and it made the dish much more appealing. I wish they'd bring back some fruit sauce for the cheesecake. Now there is also a dab of whip cream on every dessert (depending on the crew).

Please excuse my while I go for a long bike ride to work off all of those calories.
Hopefully you will have a trip report with pictures coming :)

There are items that are going to be high in sodium where you expect it. When it is over the top in an item that could probably be prepared with considerably less, that's what bothers me.
It is simple for someone who wants a saltier taste to add salt. In any practical sense, it is impossible for someone to remove salt from a prepared meal. It seems obvious that meals should be prepared with no added salt at all.

Some items don't cook properly without some salt, adding it later doesn't cut it, it isn't just about saltier taste. Cooking without any added salt will not work. A bigger problem are the items that don't taste salty but have lots of salt. Some foods have fairly high salt content by themselves without adding it.

Was there NOT warm bread?! Amtrak food facts mentioned warm bread in the description, and I was already imagining my glorious satiation as I sopped up ounce upon ounce of golden, garlicky broth with piles of warm crusty bread.

Well maybe not piles, because it's Amtrak, but maybe a couple of pieces.

I'll be heartbroken if there was no bread.

Was there NOT warm bread?! Amtrak food facts mentioned warm bread in the description, and I was already imagining my glorious satiation as I sopped up ounce upon ounce of golden, garlicky broth with piles of warm crusty bread.

Most likely just the standard dinner rolls they serve on the train.

I like the cut of your jib. :lol:

Some items don't cook properly without some salt, adding it later doesn't cut it, it isn't just about saltier taste. Cooking without any added salt will not work.
I did not know that. Thanks for the education.

With no evidence to support my conclusion, I still believe there is way more salt than necessary in most foods.

Was there NOT warm bread?!
On some trains, there is warm bread with supper, but it has been years since I've had a warm dinner roll on the Empire Builder. It always surprises me that the dining car staff does not warm the bread before bringing it to the table.

There is plenty of evidence to support the notion that there is too much salt in many prepared foods. When companies have put there minds to it, major reductions in sodium have been achieved without killing taste. Not always possible, but certainly achievable in many cases. People who need to avoid sodium content absolutely need to read labels, lots of foods don't taste salty at all, but are loaded with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's time for me to send that certified letter to Mr. Anderson about Amtrak's lack of ingredients lists. All this "new food", still no idea whether I can eat any of it.

Back