Menu Changes (October 2017)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a one riders insight into new menu experience, I rode 421 the other day with the new menu on both Eagle and Sunset.

The Romaine Salad was refreshing and good in my experience, only problem was our chef didn't thaw the "little pucks" of goat cheese! When talking to him about this, he explained they would get mushy if thawed. Then on Sunset it looked like the chef had thawed and cut up the cheese into small slices.

One followed the rules and it didn't work, one bent the rules and it looked to work, he'll probably get written up for doing it right.

The Breakfast Special #1 scrambled eggs on a quesadillas was decedent for Amtrak, par for the real world.

The Dinner special #2 Shrimp Biryani was a reasonable quality and taste frozen dinner with a good kick to it, which is better than a bland low quality frozen dinner but is still a frozen dinner at heart. I'm not sure based on the demographic of the dinning car it will work but I give them credit for trying this.

The Raspberry Tart with real whip cream, was the goods, had it both nights with dinner, best dessert I've had on Amtrak in a long time.

I have always thought the menu was too bland, so it was refreshing to see some new items with some kick. With the more recent cuts the menu had just become bad, this is a small but good step in the right direction.

There is plenty of evidence to support the notion that there is too much salt in many prepared foods. When companies have put there minds to it, major reductions in sodium have been achieved without killing taste. Not always possible, but certainly achievable in many cases. People who need to avoid sodium content absolutely need to read labels, lots of foods don't taste salty at all, but are loaded with it.
I am a survivor of 2 heart attacks, death and a heart transplant. The first thing they teach one in heart healthy nutrition school, is not to eat prepared frozen meals. Loaded with salt. TV dinners, frozen chicken, Hungry Man, Amtrak Dinners, heavy with salt. Salisbury steak was mentioned too. My freezer is all but empty as I only do fresh and free range and very little red meat. More work, but hey, I am alive. I cut out the carbs too and lost 110 pounds. I do know that few Amtrak entrees are not made on board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although a bit of topic, I was on the LSL a few weeks ago. I was surprised that the side garden salad was discontinued and plastic utensils are now used for the meals. How long has this been going on?

Although a bit of topic, I was on the LSL a few weeks ago. I was surprised that the side garden salad was discontinued and plastic utensils are now used for the meals. How long has this been going on?
Maybe because the LSL has the diner lite? The side salad was on at least one of the 3 trains I was on the past 1-1/2 weeks (though I declined it). And we had metal utensils for at least some of the meals.

Maybe because the LSL has the diner lite? The side salad was on at least one of the 3 trains I was on the past 1-1/2 weeks (though I declined it). And we had metal utensils for at least some of the meals.
I was on the LSL a couple of weeks ago and there was no side salad and plastic utensils. As Betty mentioned, I believe the lack of salad and use of plastic utensils is due to the fact that the LSL does not currently have a full diner. I have been on 5 other LD trains (with full diners) in the last couple of weeks and side salads were always offered and plastic utensils were not.

The new Land & Sea item does not do anything for me. The "straight" steak and shrimp item was good, but the idea of a "miscellaneous seafood cake" doesn't do anything for me (whereas I'd have happily gone for a straight crabcake).

With that being said, the Shrimp Briyani (sp?), salmon, and risotto all look like they're worth a look...but with respect to whomever pulled this together? As a regular sleeper passenger, you've just downsold me by $20/trip.

I gave the mussels an A for creativity, but they have to be handled very carefully, and this case the instructions are pretty clear that the pre-cooked, package has be

"cooked" from frozen, I would assume that "cooking" means a water bath.

I like the note about this lunch entree becoming a passenger and crew favorite. Does the dining car staff have a "family meal" before the start of service ??

http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/restimg2/force/template/1/Amtrak__Food_Facts/w459/h337/AMFF-FALL-2017-17.pdf

Ken

As for the food choices, we were on four Amtrak LD trips last year and not one had the "ACAT Inspired Special" . We always took the first dinner seating and still no specials. Has anyone here ever been served one of these dishes or is the addition of it to the menu just taking up space? It says "limited availability" but is was so limited it wasn't available.

As for the food choices, we were on four Amtrak LD trips last year and not one had the "ACAT Inspired Special" . We always took the first dinner seating and still no specials. Has anyone here ever been served one of these dishes or is the addition of it to the menu just taking up space? It says "limited availability" but is was so limited it wasn't available.
I had the same expierence, they were always "out" of the specials or they had been "discontinued" according to the LSA.

I had the same expierence, they were always "out" of the specials or they had been "discontinued" according to the LSA.
Last July on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder and Calif Zephyr they had one of the three at the most, quite often none of the three. Was told they rotate among the three.

The new Land & Sea item does not do anything for me. The "straight" steak and shrimp item was good, but the idea of a "miscellaneous seafood cake" doesn't do anything for me (whereas I'd have happily gone for a straight crabcake).

With that being said, the Shrimp Briyani (sp?), salmon, and risotto all look like they're worth a look...but with respect to whomever pulled this together? As a regular sleeper passenger, you've just downsold me by $20/trip.
"miscellaneous seafood cake" = CAT FOOD!

The burger for lunch is almost $13 and is very average For that price you should have a choice of how you want it done. Way overpriced. Had the mussels yesterday. Just a bowl of mussels. Not even any bread or sides. Again at $14 overpriced. Unless I am in a sleeper I don't eat in the dining car,except for breakfast. Still more than what you would pay in a regular restaurant but decent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

You have unreasonable pricing expectations.
Amtrak doesn't have to lower their prices to make people happy. They can simply serve a burger that is actually worth $13. Instead they sell a precooked frozen reheated hockey puck for $13. I've visited sports stadiums that did a better job of offering value for money than Amtrak's dining car.

Not really. If you are going to pay $13 for a basic hamburger,ar least they could cook it to order. On the other hand the steak is delicious and is always done the way you like it. Of course prices will be higher on Amteak,but with the higher prices better quality is expected.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I think the breakfast and dinner choices are good, but there's nothing I like on the new lunch menu. I asked for the kids' menu items twice and was given them with no quarrel. The mac and cheese was blah (basic children's food out a box), but the hot dog was quite good.

You have unreasonable pricing expectations.
Amtrak doesn't have to lower their prices to make people happy. They can simply serve a burger that is actually worth $13. Instead they sell a precooked frozen reheated hockey puck for $13. I've visited sports stadiums that did a better job of offering value for money than Amtrak's dining car.
If a burger is worth $13, Amtrak will charge you at least $20. You're on a train and a captive audience. It's simple economics. Expecting good value for the price on a train is idiotic. Why should they? What are you going to do, take another company's train? Oh wait. Take Greyhound? Have their food. Oh wait.

Back