Menu Choice email?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

I'm leaving in 1 week on the Silver Star, should I expect an email from Amtrak to pick my choices for lunch/dinner, wasn't sure if they are still doing this?

It does not seem to make a difference. When I’ve selected from the email they have not asked for my name on the train. In fact on my last to trips on west coast trains I was not even asked to provide room and car number on the empire builder in the diner.

This was only being done in the east - it was never expanded west because flex dining out west was a temporary thing with Covid. Seems like maybe they stopped it in the east too with one of the more recent menu changes.

CraigInNC

Train Attendant
When I traveled on the Star in March I received a food email. When I traveled on the Star earlier this month I did not. In both cases my SCA took my dinner and breakfast order and I ate both in the dining car. Of course if you select something you are not bound by it. Not sure what advantage pre-ordering has other than gives Amtrak some basis for inventory.

neroden

Engineer
When I traveled on the Star in March I received a food email. When I traveled on the Star earlier this month I did not. In both cases my SCA took my dinner and breakfast order and I ate both in the dining car. Of course if you select something you are not bound by it. Not sure what advantage pre-ordering has other than gives Amtrak some basis for inventory.
I would like it if Amtrak could get its inventory right given their history of understocking....

I would like it if Amtrak could get its inventory right given their history of understocking....
Understocking? Amtrak? No way!

They didn't load any beef meals on board in Chicago for our eastbound Cardinal trip. How do they manage to do things like this? Is the incompetence like water - it flows downhill?