Menu for Vegan Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Susan W

For long-distance sleeping car passengers: Can anyone tell us whether there is one "set" vegan (strict vegetarian) menu that all long-distance train kitchens use, or some variety? Any recommendations from vegetarian or vegan passengers as to whether Amtrak will provide healthy, tasty food (for the several days of train travel) if they request vegan food in advance? Or would it be something "blah" and same every day?

For Vegetarian options, there will be a pasta dish for dinner, and a "entree" salad for lunch. Breakfast has the eggs, French toast, pancakes, etc. The actual salad and pasta dish will sometimes vary from train to train, but don't expect much.

As for Vegan, I'm not sure what Amtrak offers but I would guess its a special "vegan meal" that repats itself.

Thank you. It sounds like either way, taking along plenty of vegan items to supplement the menu would be a good idea. I appreciate your input.

First off, welcome to Amtrak Unlimited! Vegan meals arn't something that I have seen or heard discussed, so this is a great question to bring up! I would suggest calling Amtrak based on the information here http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241337915248, at least 72 hours in advance of your trip to inquire. If they can provide you an answer (i.e. if it is only one set of repeating meals, or if it can be multiple sets for multiple days) please let us know so we can share that knowledge with others.

I would agree with taking along items to supplement the menu in any case, as especially with dietary restrictions (like my fiancee has), it is always better to have your own food that you can trust available.

~ DCTE

Thank you, kindly! What a great group!

I called Amtrak and was pleasantly surprised that the CS representative was able to answer my question right away. In addition to the daily vegetarian menu option, there is a fixed vegan lunch and dinner menu (if requested 72 hours prior to travel).

It has just a few items, but they sound "not bad" to me:

Garden Vegetables, Bean Chili with Orzo

Stuffed Grape Leaves with Tomato Sauce

Coconut Curry and Vegetables

Udon Noodles

The Amtrak rep said that they don't have a vegan breakfast menu, so that's helpful to know.

I'll make a note to post a review after the trip. Thanks Again!

Whoa. That's really cool. I had no idea you could request vegan meals. Yay Amtrak.

The "continental" breakfast includes cereal (cold or steel-cut oatmeal), fruit, croissant or biscuit, and yogurt. I can tell you that the oatmeal and fruit make a nice light breakfast with no animal products! However, they once ran out of oatmeal (a long time ago, I don't think they limit the supply as much these days). They also have nice teas, including herb, with fresh lemon available.

I'ver always got dried fruit and nuts "just in case."

I called Amtrak and was pleasantly surprised that the CS representative was able to answer my question right away.
I have found that this is consistently true. I have travelled with people with all manner of weird dietary restrictions. (My fiancee is allergic to dairy products, for instance.) Sometimes Amtrak didn't have anything they could eat -- but *I was always able to find out in advance*. Which is very nice.

I called Amtrak and was pleasantly surprised that the CS representative was able to answer my question right away.
I have found that this is consistently true. I have travelled with people with all manner of weird dietary restrictions. (My fiancee is allergic to dairy products, for instance.) Sometimes Amtrak didn't have anything they could eat -- but *I was always able to find out in advance*. Which is very nice.
I am allergic to garlic and the last 3 times I have been on the train, I was unable to eat any of the dinner entrees. I ate vegetables, baked potato, salad and dessert (except when the only dessert choices contained dairy since I do not eat dairy). I bring granola bars with me when I travel and my own packets of salad dressing.

The special meal selections on Amtrak are slim. I am allergic to MSG and Sulfites (sulphur dioxide) but they seem to be very common in prepared food. At the very least I would suggest to Amtrak that they offer healthy food choices free of all of those poisonous food additives and preservatives.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've enjoyed the veggie burger served bunless at lunch many times, but am unsure whether it would meet "vegan" requirements.

The special meal selections on Amtrak are slim. I am allergic to MSG and Sulfites (sulphur dioxide) but they seem to be very common in prepared food. At the very least I would suggest to Amtrak that they offer healthy food choices free of all of those poisonous food additives and preservatives.
I think this too. I will eat most of what the diner serves, but am often wondering about additives... I am not fanatical about it but in general do not buy any groceries with any additives at all. I found what looked like the black bean burger that is served in the diners for lunch at my local supermarket, and the list of chemical sounding ingredients was daunting... it may be veggie but it is not health food.

As much as I like the dining car itself - the social aspects as well as the pleasures of being served on a train while riding along, I am going to rely on bringing more of my own food on trips in the future. Especially in coach, when I am trying to save money.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the very least I would suggest to Amtrak that they offer healthy food choices free of all of those poisonous food additives and preservatives.
I tend to agree with you, but have to balance that, with that such food would look like, after sitting around for a several days (a very long round trip for LD trains). The reality is that Amtrak trains don't stop enroute at farmer stands to pick up fresh supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back