Menu Item Must-Haves and Must-Not-Haves

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the bratwurst on a pretzel roll is still on the regular menu, but perhaps it occasionally makes an appearance as a special? A delicious lunch choice, I thought.

10278264476_939b1c0dc9_b.jpg
Where's the bratwust? :giggle:

Another dissenting vote: we love the Angus burgers but I typically don't get them if I am trying to balance my calories on a long train ride. For breakfast I will normally get the pancakes. Most of the time I love the vegetarian options. On our first trip on the Empire Builder, they had a mac and cheese that I actually ate for lunch and dinner for every meal and I felt guilty about it but still did it because it was so good! I also love salmon and really, really, really did not enjoy that. My husband really enjoyed the lamb and never complains about the steak. The chocolate parfait is my fav!

Forgot about the great Lamb Shank, best Ive had too! The Turkey Shank that took its place doesn't come close!As for the Steaks, they've varied from horrible ( Flat Iron aka Pit Roast) to very Good! The portions seem to be smaller! I also like the Corn medely in place of the Mixed Veggies( cardboard!) and as for the Fish, I've found the Crab cakes good and the Salmon also! I don't care for Talapia myself!

Overall I consider Breakfast the Best Meal on Amtrakand usually alternate the Omelete with Grits and Chicken Maple Sausage ( skip the bread) and the Continental Breakfast is hard to mess up!

And I said Most items are edible, not all, depending on the chef and your taste! The Veggie Pasta is terrible and the "Clam Chowder" for lunch is meager in portion, tastes canned and is loaded with salt!

I too like the Veggie Burger but with Bacon! ( a cheaters Burger!)

All of the deserts are OK, but I miss the Bourbon Pecan Pie and the Chocolate Bundt Cake with Ice Cream!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a really good turkey shank this year on the CZ. It was much better than the lam shank IMO.

I'm also a fan of the bratwurst and the French toast.

I have had a few hockey puck burgers but always on an eastern train, never on a western train.

I like the signature steak. Not so the flat iron steak. It was named right....eating it was like eating a flat iron. :rolleyes: I love seafood, especially salmon. But I've had Mahi Mahi, tilapia, and catfish. Never had a bad meal with any of them.

For me it's:

Breakfast: Cheese omelette

Lunch: Angus burger

Supper: Steak

Desserts: Cheesecake

No reason for me to stray, I'm a creature of habit and love to eat what I love.......plus, with this lineup, I've never had a complaint!

I appreciate the effort that the Amtrak culinary staff has made to serve guests well:

Best dinner choice:

Several years ago when riding the CZ from Denver to Chicago, I had a very nicely presented stuffed - double - pork chop with baked potato and veggies. It was so good I almost ordered another dinner to go, for a midnight snack in the Superliner lounge.

Room for improvement:

The Angus Burger needs attention. The hockey puck issue can be avoided by boarding the burger frozen and grilling on board.

The corn has outlived its flair. Change the veggie to a more creative and still cost effective - julienne of carrot/broccoli/yellow zucchini. They could be boarded fresh-frozen and steamed - just as the diners are seated at the beginning of the meal service -

and served with a vinaigrette, hollandaise or garlic-pesto glaze, for example.

If you've not already done so, consider changing the cheesecake to Eli's, especially out of Chicago.

Kudos:

The Brat on Pretzel with chips is a really nice presentation. Perhaps serve it with a tart cole slaw?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like grits with my breakfast on the CZ, and the blood orange sorbet for dessert with both lunch and dinner.

Isn't the burger the same thing you can get in the cafe lounge for about two bucks less?

I've always enjoyed the fish options. Have had some excellent salmon and whitefish. There was a braised beef special on my SWC trip last year which was the highlight discovery. Hearty portions and reasonably (well, comparatively, for the diner) priced. Really wish I would have opted for the lamb which everyone brags about over a just ok steak on the CZ.

The turkey shank was the best dinner I've had on Amtrak. And I am another vote for the veggie burger. The signature steak is reliable. The hot dog you get from the dining car is pretty quality, grilled and on an oversized crusty roll. I don't go too far outside those...can we get a little malbec and/or shiraz on these trains, please?

in rank order

the steak and baked potato

the angus burger

the French toast (if it is available, our last EB trip it was not)

the omelet

the brat (again if available)

the cheesecake

She Who Must Be Obeyed had one good, one bad tilapia - I remember what Mae West said about fish so I refrain

Been years since I saw lamb shanks on the menu but I remember them as being the best meal on Amtrak.

Lately, the beans - the veggie with the TE dinners - have not been so good. Last time they tasted like they'd been soaked in brine first.

Isn't the burger the same thing you can get in the cafe lounge for about two bucks less? .
AFAIK, absolutely not the same. Actually, the burger in the cafe, IF PREPARED PROPERLY, (which I have only seen once or twice in years, I mean YEARS!) can be ver tasty. Notice I wrote "tasty", not necessarily healthy.

The buffalo meatloaf they had as a special once in a while is great; not sure if it's still being offered anywhere. I've never had a bad experience with the half chicken but some find it overly salty. I prefer the pancakes to the french toast, but that's largely a function of my feelings towards those dishes in general.

I want to try the black bean burger with bacon added now. Reminds me of a coworker who frequently orders a vegetarian pizza then adds "but with salami."

While not available in the Diner, I have gotten hooked on the Plain Cheese DiGiorno Nuclear Pizzas you can get in the Lounge. So much that I now pick them up periodically at Walmart and enjoy them as a railroad themed snack when I'm not on the train.

At $6 they are a nip pricey but to get them at Walmart they run about $3.50 each; so the Amtrak markup is not too Eart shattering.

RR French Toast

Angus Burger

Steak

(Once had salmon that was OK)

I like the gelato

While not available in the Diner, I have gotten hooked on the Plain Cheese DiGiorno Nuclear Pizzas you can get in the Lounge. So much that I now pick them up periodically at Walmart and enjoy them as a railroad themed snack when I'm not on the train.

At $6 they are a nip pricey but to get them at Walmart they run about $3.50 each; so the Amtrak markup is not too Eart shattering.
I'm not much of a pizza eater myself, but did enjoy that pizza on my WIL-BOS-WIL trip. I also picked one up at the grocery store to enjoy at home.

Looks like I'd be the sole vote for the whole-grain biscuit at breakfast.

And I don't put anything on it, as I figure it is rich enough.

Traveling in jeans, I need to be sure I don't eat so much that I'm not comfortable. And with the whole grain, my systems might get restored to some semblance of normalcy.

I do like to include the chicken and steak on every trip. I found the tilapia seafood good.

Gotta say though, budget cuts notwithstanding, you'd think they could have a bit of variation on the changeable options for successive trains going the same direction.

For three nights and four days on EB and LSL, the same chef's choice sandwich, specials, vegetables, all of it the same every day.

And I've mentioned before, to cut out the lunchtime entree salad is not healthy for those of us travelers who want our dark green leafies. Closest I found was that they put asparagus in the omelet.

I wouldn't consider any of Amtraks menu options a 'must have', more a case of picking what isn't as utterly bland or grim as the really bland or grim.....

I wouldn't consider any of Amtraks menu options a 'must have', more a case of picking what isn't as utterly bland or grim as the really bland or grim.....
Yep, gotta agree with this guest.

In spite of what trained and talented, (many culinary trained) chefs/cooks CAN do, what they are INSTRUCTED to do, and the limited set of tools they are given, is almost criminal...

RELEASE THE HOUNDS!

I like chicken and am glad that many who have posted find it to be a good choice. But, trying to eat a half chicken on a train, isn't that a bit messy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back