Metra has relented - MED schedule changes

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Metra has listened to rider complaints and relented on some of the specifics in the Electric District schedule changes pertaining to service to 59th Street. They planned to eliminate stops there on various trains and listened to complaints from the UofC, their hospital in particular, regarding to planned cuts in service which affected hospital employees in particular.

Here's one link, I'm sure there are others, to a source: Metra scales back changes to Electric Line schedule

I see they're using PTC as an excuse for the change. I cannot imagine how PTC is a cause, unless the whole signal system is antiquated?

One of the problems is that you can't turn a train as quickly with PTC as you could under the old signal system. The engineer has to enter new codes every time the train is turned.

Eliminating stops along the route really didn't have a lot to do with PTC (slowing trains and spacing them more probably would help, at least at rush hour). Hopefully PTC eventually can be made quicker, but the Electric District is suffering ridership declines due to population declines in the south suburbs and far south side.

One of the problems is that you can't turn a train as quickly with PTC as you could under the old signal system. The engineer has to enter new codes every time the train is turned.
That was "discovered" when RTD in Denver had to replan rapid transit proposals with commuter rail. It tends to take longer to turn the commuter trains than the light rail trains, with consequent costs and terminal capacity issues.

Back