Metra signs contract for new passenger cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pluses: Absolutely love the two doorways on each side! Also like the real second level instead of the cramped galleries of the present cars.

Possible minus: No vestibule doors is good for passenger flow but means the outside door seals better be really good, as I've seen the enclosed vestibules on some of the present cars fill up with snow in blizzard conditions.

Oddity: They don't show electric sockets at each seat, but I'm presuming in 2021 (and with Metra being pretty good about retrofitting sockets on the existing trains) that this is an oversight in the computer rendering rather than the actual cars.

Metra's Board of Directors approved a new contract to build 200 new cars with option(s) for up to an additional 300 cars.

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2021/01...nger-rail-cars-to-replace-1950s-gallery-cars/
Here is a link to a short video with computer generated images of the exterior and interior of the new cars:

)

Beautiful cars! I also like the split level stairs at entrance ways with common articulation level between cars.

I do not like the stairwell in the Superliners... with upper level articulation level between cars. Hope the newer LD liners will adapt this method of passenger flow for any new bi-level designs... also eliminating the need for a transition car.

Also like the focus on cleanliness in common areas and bathrooms. I wonder if they have employed new technologies to insure that the doorless vestibules will remain tightly closed to protect from wet / cold weather.

Anything new... anything improved... is good for rail transit in our country!

Slightly OT but not worth a new topic, are the SD70s still on order? Id think for a retrofit design they would have arrived by now?

The funny thing is, here in Chicago the biggest complaint I hear about this design is no more reversible seats. Typical Chicago, they act like riding backwards is a human rights violation not understanding that the Metra seat is fairly unique. They'll ***** about it for a while then forget that flipping seats was ever a thing.

The funny thing is, here in Chicago the biggest complaint I hear about this design is no more reversible seats. Typical Chicago, they act like riding backwards is a human rights violation not understanding that the Metra seat is fairly unique. They'll ***** about it for a while then forget that flipping seats was ever a thing.

Once actual everyday passengers ride in these cars, the complaints will be about which lines are stuck with the old cars.

Yet Metra Electric operated with fixed seating from the 1970's to the delivery of the HIghliner II's -- without any massive passenger revolution.

Well, here are my personal thoughts:

-First of I hate gallery cars. They suck. Ugly, terrible interior, one door, terrible. So this is an upgrade

-That being said, I hate the box design with the cab car. The classic Bombardier cars, and the Rotem cars have a very similar design yet look so much better on the outside. The interior looks great, however.

-Is this replacing the ENTIRE fleet? Or will some of the lines still have the old cars?

-Glad to see two doors on each side, I have no idea how one of the busiest commuter railroads can withstand with one door...

-What will happen to the electric line?

That's all. So really, I think it's a great improvement in terms of, well everything that's practical. I just hate the look the cab car front.

There will be no change to the electric line. Their fleet is (relatively) new, and will continue to operate for a couple more decades, at least, barring some major unforeseen shift in circumstances.

Just looked at the video of the new cars. As one of the comments at the end of it mentioned, the engineer sitting at the lower level, seems particularly vulnerable in most grade-crossing accident situations. I see that the HVAC components are above the 'cabs'... I think that they should have put the HVAC on the lower level, which might even make maintenance easier, and put the cabs above them. Even if they had to put a few steps from the aisle to the cabs...

BTW, what is the "firemans's" cab for? The conductor?

Just looked at the video of the new cars. As one of the comments at the end of it mentioned, the engineer sitting at the lower level, seems particularly vulnerable in most grade-crossing accident situations. I see that the HVAC components are above the 'cabs'... I think that they should have put the HVAC on the lower level, which might even make maintenance easier, and put the cabs above them. Even if they had to put a few steps from the aisle to the cabs...

BTW, what is the "firemans's" cab for? The conductor?
I believe so.

And the Bombardier cab car, one of the most used, has their cab low to the ground. I think it will be fine,

If I was an engineer, I would want to be in a locomotive, and one of the old "long hood forward" style, like the N&W used to operate... ;)

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this one, but Alstom is campaigning to get VRE to join Metra in acquiring new Coradia Multilevels. The presentation might look slightly familiar- 🙄

Didn't want to start a whole new thread on this one, but Alstom is campaigning to get VRE to join Metra in acquiring new Coradia Multilevels. The presentation might look slightly familiar- 🙄

I think the cars look ugly, however are great in terms of everything else.

It's a much needed upgrade from the gallery cars IMHO

I agree with the comments about them looking ugly and boxy. I suspect the design is based on them needing to be able to be used interconnected with the older cars. So as to how these will be deployed I think they will have trains with a mix of old and new cars for quite a few years. Everyone with a bike will want to be on the new cars, my Dutch bike is a hard lift on the steep stairs that I currently need to use to get it on the Metra.

Personally, I think I would've designed the cab cars with a more aerodynamic front end. With the way they look in the rendering, they're not aerodynamic and would likely be prone to turbulence drag.

Personally, I think I would've designed the cab cars with a more aerodynamic front end. With the way they look in the rendering, they're not aerodynamic and would likely be prone to turbulence drag.
I agree with you, but when you’re talking about the performance of rebuilt freight engines, I don’t think aerodynamics make much of a difference 😂

Back