Metro North, failure to enforce mask rules.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you enforce the rules?

Or how do you enforce the rules with out get punched in the nose?
The same way Amtrak and the airlines do it. You have police help out.

Since there is no way to easily check who has been vaccinated (unlike Amtrak and the airlines who could, if they wished, require you to provide evidence in advance of travel, the only alternative is that they require everyone to be masked and those not masked are turned away from stations or trains with police assistance.

The same way Amtrak and the airlines do it. You have police help out.

Since there is no way to easily check who has been vaccinated (unlike Amtrak and the airlines who could, if they wished, require you to provide evidence in advance of travel, the only alternative is that they require everyone to be masked and those not masked are turned away from stations or trains with police assistance.
This!

I've ridden Tri-Rail some the past few months and I've noticed pretty good compliance. Not 100%, but usually it's only 1 or 2 people at the most. Tri-Rail contracts out their security/fare inspection and when they do their walkthrough they instruct those not wearing a mask to put one on. Of course once the guard leaves it's 50/50 whether or not that person still complies.

What doesn't help here is there have been conflicting policies with our state and local government. Now counties can only require masks in county buildings (which has recently been reinstituted in Broward and I believe Dade). I don't think everyone realizes that the mask on planes/trains/buses is a Federal law.

MTAPD has issued zero tickets since may 2020.
violators are pulled from one train just to be put on other train by MTAPD.
Cdr's are powerless , as they can not call police due to electronics ban.
they can only call RTC (dispatcher) who will most likely not call MTAPD cause he/she refuses to delay the train .
smoke and mirrors no matter how you look at it .

I take issue with your language. "Dirty cop" refers to an officer who is corrupt or on the take. Police who will not enforce a particular law are insubordinate, but not dirty.
Not even that bad. Insubordinate only if officers are told to do it and fail to do so. Similar to giving out traffic citations. It's the unwritten policy of a lot of places to skip or minimize enforcement of speeding, full-stop violations, failing to signal, etc. due to manpower, etc and decided by the chief or organization.

If a few officers refuse to do it, that's insubordination. However, in Metro-North's apparent failure to never enforce it, that's got to be policy from up high.

We shall see whether it's the chief of MTA Police who has instructed MTA Police to fail to enforce public health regulations (which would be insubordinate, and a dereliction of his duties, and grounds for firing for cause), or whether it's individual cops who don't want to and are derelict in their duties (again grounds for firing for cause). Hard to know which it is without an investigation.

Either way, unless the appropriate person is fired, this seems to be good evidence or not funding a police department who are unwilling to do their most basic job of protecting the public from major threats to life and limb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back