Metro North to Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be honest the reason I would like to see the Hudson Line to Penn is for the intermediate stations on the far west side of Manhattan. I do not think it would make sense without the added stations. They would serve areas quite far from north south subways.

Interesting that they are quad tracking the route. Restoring what was there in the New Haven days (some sections had 6 tracks).
Quad tracking only part of it from Pelham Bay Interlocking to Leggett Interlocking near Oak Island. From Leggett Interlocking to Harold it will still be two tracks across the Hell Gate Bridge as far as I have seen in the EIS.
I notice also the map showed some new substations. I imagine the line would need to be upgraded to 60hz if it isn't already, for the MN equipment.
It is already 60Hz fed from MNRR feed from commercial power upto Gate interlocking. They will be adding some redundancy in commercial feeds. The third rail from Gate to Harold is to allow MNRR EMUs incapable of using 25Hz power to get to Penn Station using third rail from Gate.

Quad tracking only part of it from Pelham Bay Interlocking to Leggett Interlocking near Oak Island. From Leggett Interlocking to Harold it will still be two tracks across the Hell Gate Bridge as far as I have seen in the EIS.
Oops, I mis-stated. I am looking at the EIS document and it looks like Quad track is only from Pelham to Tremont. It is 3 tracks from there to Young interlocking. Leggett is just a universal crossover in a double track segment. It is two tracks from Young interlocking, across the Hell Gate bridge to Harold interlocking.

Between Tremont and Leggett there are other track(s) in the RoW, but they are freight only with no connection to Harold or Penn Station. One of those tracks making it all the way across Hell Gate and onto New York and Atlantic's Fresh Pond Yard on LI.

Back