Metrolink deploys systemwide earthquake early warning system

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before getting too excited about the wonders of this, what it does is announce that a quake has occurred, so the length of warning time is the difference between the speed of the ground waves and the speed of light between the epicenter and whatever your location happens to be, which is usually only a few minutes. It is no where near the length of time you get for a hurricane warning or tsunami warning. If the epicenter of the undersea quake is close, the tsunami warning time is not much, either.

Before getting too excited about the wonders of this, what it does is announce that a quake has occurred, so the length of warning time is the difference between the speed of the ground waves and the speed of light between the epicenter and whatever your location happens to be, which is usually only a few minutes. It is no where near the length of time you get for a hurricane warning or tsunami warning. If the epicenter of the undersea quake is close, the tsunami warning time is not much, either.
The intent is to give you, even a minute or two, a chance to prepare for possible shaking. The USGS ShakeAlert® provides that warning that on our smart phones. I have experienced such alert a couple of times. Besides slowing/stopping trains another discussed use is stopping elevators at the next floor with doors open.

Any further earthquake related events such as tsunamis are not within the scope of this system however one should be aware of that possibility.
https://www.shakealert.org/

Last edited:
The intent is to give you, even a minute or two, a chance to prepare for possible shaking. The USGS ShakeAlert® provides that warning that on our smart phones. I have experienced such alert a couple of times. Besides slowing/stopping trains another discussed use is stopping elevators at the next floor with doors open.

Any further earthquake related events such as tsunamis are not within the scope of this system however one should be aware of that possibility.
https://www.shakealert.org/
Years ago I was on the stairs at home in Portland when I fell on my knees; seconds later I heard pictures crashing off the walls, etc. With the sound effects I realized that it was a quake. If I'd had a minute or two of warning I would not have been on the stairs.

Yes, they have their own system.
Tried and tested in real life too. They do work. They are based on detecting the phase waves which do not cause any damage and travel faster than the group waves which cause damage and move a bit slower.In all but two cases it prevented derailments and in the two cases there was a derailment it was a slow speed derailment rather than a high speed one.

Back