Metrolink ticket machine down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan O

Conductor
My daughter arrived just before the Riverside Metrolink train left yesterday AM. She had just a minute or two (shouldn't have cut it that short) to buy a ticket but the machines were down. What are the options she could have used that involved riding the train (kept driving to LA instead)? Can one get on and just pay for the ticket when you get to the end of the line or what?

Does Metrolink let you buy tickets on board from the conductor? If the ticket machines weren't working, that's not the passenger's problem, so Mertolink should make some kind of accommodation for on-board payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is that every single person Ive ever seen on the Riverline says that to the fare inspectors- including numerous people from a station I had just bought tickets at.

Metrolink does not sell tickets on board. One might be able to talk their way onboard without a ticket stating the machines were down...depends on the conductor.

Depending on the line, ticket checks may, or may not occur.

She might try using the Metrolink app on her phone next time to buy tickets ahead of the train ride.

At many stations, the screens on the machines are so dim they are almost impossible to read - especially at certain times of the day when the sun's shining on them. The last time this happened to me (I couldnt buy a ticket because i couldnt see the text on the screen), i called Metrolink and they told me to "ask the conductor". So yeah, it's up to the conductor whether theyll let you on. Like someone else said though, loads of fare evaders try to claim the machines are down when in fact theyre working just fine, so what i would do is take a photo or video of all the machines so you at least have a little evidence they arent working. Dunno if that would help your case, but at least it's something.

I myself cant use the metrolink app as it apparently isnt compatible with my phone, but that's a good alternative option for others.

As for buying tix at the end of the line, at Union Station that would be a bit of a hassle as the only ticket machines (and a staffed Metrolink window where you can also buy tickets) are at either end of the station, requiring a long walk through the tunnel and back. I would just talk to the conductor next time and see what he/she recommends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back