Quantcast

Miami Airport Station

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

M

MDRailfan

Does anyone think Amtrak could move to the Miami Airport Station. It's much closer to downtown then the present station.

me_little_me

Conductor
What they could do and what they would do are two two entirely different things. Are you asking if they have any thoughts of doing it? Any plans if they have unlimited money? Any plans if they might be able to scrape up the money? Or if their plan even include Miami service in an environment of thoughts of eliminating LD service and replacing them with shorter daytime trains (which might leave out south Florida since Brightline serves that area)?

Palmetto

Conductor
This question has been in the air for quite some time. After the idea of moving over to MIA, Amtrak put down brand new concrete ties at the Hialeah station. To me, that was a sign that they had no interest in the move. I haven't heard of any recent interest in the move. The better place to go would be to MiamiCentral in downtown and that is now possible thanks to the Iris Connection to the FEC that Tri-Rail plans to use to get there.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
This question has been in the air for quite some time. After the idea of moving over to MIA, Amtrak put down brand new concrete ties at the Hialeah station. To me, that was a sign that they had no interest in the move. I haven't heard of any recent interest in the move. The better place to go would be to MiamiCentral in downtown and that is now possible thanks to the Iris Connection to the FEC that Tri-Rail plans to use to get there.
Downtown would be great from a passenger perspective but the station is not capable of handling an LD train and would require a very long backup move to get to the yard in Hialeah. The airport station is capable of handling LD trains, would require a shorter and simpler backup move, and even has a building built for Amtrak. It would also provide a direct connection to Metrorail and easy access to planes and rental cars. Having said that, Amtrak doesn't seem interested so I don't foresee a move anytime soon.

MikefromCrete

Conductor
Amtrak has shown no interest in using the airport station. Brighline's downtown station isn't designed for long distance consists. The current Amtrak station is poorly located for the general public, but great for Amtrak, so Amtrak will probably stay right where it is.

railiner

Conductor
In the future, the way to get to downtown by train will be to change to Tri-Rail at Hollywood.
For someone traveling a long distance, with baggage, children or whatever...I doubt they would do that...in the time they waited for the connecting train, they could ride to the current Miami (Hialeah) station, and get picked up or take a taxi to their final destination, without all the hassle.