Miami Here they come......

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AMTK1007

Train Attendant
Train 30(06) was delayed departing Chicago due to switching out D/38005 and C/34031 and replacing with D/38062 and C/34012. Also added deadhead cars C/51003, C/54526, C/54584, and C/54582 for the West Palm Beach Special.

The West Palm Beach Special is the train that has carried the Safety Patrol kids from that region to WAS for many many years. It is a charter and generally has hundreds of kids and chaperones - boys in on set of cars and gilrs in another - separated by lounge cars.

From what I understand and have seen posted on this site, the Amtrak employees who work this train generally have a great time with the kids and they have a great time on the trip and in DC.

Oh, I see now. That is equipment being shuffled around to be in place fot he school kid specials. That school kid-patrol operation has been posted on here several times the last two or three years.

My mis-understanding and confusion---- I was trying to read some kind of CHI- FLA special deal into it.......

If there was a CHI-FL special, it would sell out immediately. The route is a natural - especially for an Auto Train product.

A couple of others came down from NY, 91(05) had one, but due to the VRE derailment is was held at WAS. I guess it came down on one of the trains originating on the sixth.

I don't think pulling 8 coaches from the system should disrupt ALL those trains. Keep in mind it is winter and I believe those cars have a freezing problem if I recall correctly.

battalion51 said:
I don't think pulling 8 coaches from the system should disrupt ALL those trains. Keep in mind it is winter and I believe those cars have a freezing problem if I recall correctly.
Yup, Superliners out of Chicago on the short hauls during winter has been the norm for the last few years. They seem to hold up much better in the freezing weather, than do the horizons and the Amfleets.

Going to be interesting this year!!!!!

Instead of running a seperate consist, 10 Horizon cars will be added to 98's consist!!!

98 will be annulled to regular passengers on all 4 trips!!!!

considering how the equipment turns are set up here in the midwest, the removal of 10-12 coaches which is the equivilant of 3 to 4 "sets" of coaches would infuence a great number of trains.. it wouldn't be just 300/305 305 goes to STL then turns to 311 the next day to Kansas City which turns back as 316 to St Louis which turns for 300 the next day to Chicago which turns to 391 for carbondale the same day which turns for 392 the next day to Chicago which turns back to 305 the next day and starts the cycle over

Guest said:
Instead of running a seperate consist, 10 Horizon cars will be added to 98's consist!!!

Rumor has it this will be the case this year due to equipment contraints! Nothing has been posted for us in the crewbase as I type this. We usually have a couple of weeks to sign up for the train and be selected for one of the trips. If they go this route this year, then they will be using regular employees on their regular days cutting out the replacing employees who are out of the jobs because they are on the WPB SB Charter. The OBS and T&E component is very short on help this year! We'll see, and I will post when I know better. I will sign up for it if it is indeed an actual separate train. OBS...

Getting the cars to Miami, doing repairs and picking the maintenance crew was a "rush" job!

I feel sorry for the first crew going and having to work out the bugs!!!

Amtrak OBS Employee said:
Guest said:

Rumor has it this will be the case this year due to equipment contraints! Nothing has been posted for us in the crewbase as I type this. We usually have a couple of weeks to sign up for the train and be selected for one of the trips. If they go this route this year, then they will be using regular employees on their regular days cutting out the replacing employees who are out of the jobs because they are on the WPB SB Charter. The OBS and T&E component is very short on help this year! We'll see, and I will post when I know better. I will sign up for it if it is indeed an actual separate train. OBS...
Well, it is fact this is the case this year. For the next four Thurs (including today) train #98 is annulled for regular passengers and operates as the WPB Safety Patrol Train. And if I have the info correct, the next four Sunday trips out of WAS on train #97 will operate as the return trip. If I see #98 today I will post the consist info. OBS...

Guest said:

Well, it is fact this is the case this year. For the next four Thurs (including today) train #98 is annulled for regular passengers and operates as the WPB Safety Patrol Train. And if I have the info correct, the next four Sunday trips out of WAS on train #97 will operate as the return trip. If I see #98 today I will post the consist info. OBS...
Wowsers. I suppose this is something to pump someone's numbers up.

What dain-bramaged Amtrak manager would be in a position to think this one up? Any hints on where to look, OBS?

Do post the consists if you can get them for us, please. Thanks.

It makes perfectly good sense to me. Light travel season, short extra boards, short on extra equipment, it all adds up to what they did. I give them props for it.

battalion51 said:
It makes perfectly good sense to me. Light travel season, short extra boards, short on extra equipment, it all adds up to what they did. I give them props for it.
These are exactly the reasons why right here! Thanks bat51.

No consist info as of yet, but I believe it is simply the regular train consist with the additional coaches added. The regular train consist and crew deadhead in the portion of the trip between WAS and NYP (SSY). The additional equipment is left at WAS while the group is there. Also the train operates on it's own independent schedule the same as a charter move. OBS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back