Miami Intermodal Center at Miami International Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've personally refered to the airport station as MIC. Makes more sense, since it connects more modes of transportation than MiamiCentral (which is in downtown Miami). Heck, call the airport station Miami Union Station and the AAF station Miami Grand Central Station. Then the snowbirds would really feel at home. :D

So, anyone want to bet on which will happen first: Amtrak moving into MIC or Miami being evacuated due to flooding of the sewer system? (The latter is becoming a serious problem.)

There have been a lot of articles/editorials in favor of Tri-Rail establishing service to Miami Central as well as MIC at the airport. AAR gave them about two more weeks to come up with $69 million to cover the cost of their portion of the station. One person not in favor is the mayor of Miami. They guy has his head in the sand, I guess. Traffic congestion is bad here, and so is the public transportation, by and large. City Council meets on the issue in the near future, and there is some support for the venture on the part of some of the members. Stay tuned.

The platforms only need to be level with the lowest equines using them. Since they serve tri-rail, they are in compliance.
When did horses come into play for designing a passenger train station platform? I guess if one stagecoach uses Morgans and the pony express uses, well, ponies (Shetland?), that could make a difference.*

* this was to show that I carefully read through all four pages of posts!

Last edited by a moderator:
So, anyone want to bet on which will happen first: Amtrak moving into MIC or Miami being evacuated due to flooding of the sewer system? (The latter is becoming a serious problem.)
Well, it's Miami Beach which is flooding right now, which is a man-made coastal island. But it's true that most of Florida is very vulnerable. Very close to sea level. And we are over exploiting ground waters causing sea water in some cases to flow in reverse into the spring system.

April 5 is the date for Tri-Rail to start service at the new Miami Central Station. Progressive Railroading: Tri-Rail station set to open at Miami airport. Amtrak move to MCS TBD. Excerpts:

Tri-Rail's new station at the Miami International Airport is scheduled to open April 5, the South Florida Regional Transportation Authority (SFRTA) announced yesterday.

Part of the Miami Central Station at the Miami Intermodal Center, the Tri-Rail station will provide an immediate connection to the airport via the automated MIA Mover light-rail shuttle, SFRTA officials said.

The Miami Central Station already serves as a stop for Miami-Dade Transit's Metrorail, with Amtrak and Greyhound expected to join in the future, according to SFRTA.

Reminder: Miami Central is at the airport, AKA Miami Intermodal Center. MiamiCentral is the station in center-city being built by AAF. Why both stations have Miami + Central is a mystery to me, and it can easily confuse people. IMO, the station at the airport should be named Miami Airport. Is that too logical? :wacko:

Reminder: Miami Central is at the airport, AKA Miami Intermodal Center. MiamiCentral is the station in center-city being built by AAF. Why both stations have Miami + Central is a mystery to me, and it can easily confuse people. IMO, the station at the airport should be named Miami Airport. Is that too logical? :wacko:
Turns out that the world is already as logical as you want it to be! :) The station boards at the airport station read "Miami Airport Station". So I believe your claim above regarding it being called "Miami Central" is not borne out by observed facts. The reality is that the station at the airport is called "Miami Airport Station" and the AAF station is called "Miami Central".

My question is What is Amtrak going to call it when it finally lands there?
Checking the Tri-Rail website, Tri-Rail is calling it the Miami Airport Station. The website for the Miami Intermodal Center (MIC) is still calling the station project the Miami Central Station and in the news releases, but my guess that the Central Station designation (for the station at the airport) will fade away and it will become called the Miami Airport station by everyone, including Amtrak.

Afterall Tri-Rail, which plans to operate to boths tations could not possibly name both stations the same. It is logical to call the station that is at the airport the Airport Station, and the one that is closer to the center of the city the Central Station. MIC had come up with the "Central" monicker before anyone had heard of the possibility of a real station near the real center of the city.

May I respectfully suggest that the title of this thread be changed to reflect that the discussion is about the MIC at the airport, and not the AAF Miami Central downtown?

One can get off Amtrak and connect to Tri rail if they need to get into the new Miami terminal easily if they need to be closer to this location. Only a few days away.

Miami is one of those growing big gateway destinations in the USA. Area around Miami is seeing population growth.

NYC Moynihan station is still a ways out yet. Jealous that Miami is getting done.

Miami is the only major US city that I can think of that does not have a railroad station in center city.

Miami is the only major US city that I can think of that does not have a railroad station in center city.
That in itself is an all new thread. There are larger cities without rail stations at all, and others where the station is outside the downtown area (ie: Charleston, SC). Not to mention, there are light rail connections from the Tri Rail into downtown where there is both the El and the People mover.

Miami is the 44th largest city in the US. Phoenix at 6th, Columbus at 15th, Nashville at 25th, Louisville at 28th, Las Vegas at 30th, Mesa Arizona, Virginia Beach and Colorado Springs are all larger cities without Amtrak service at all. The rest are a mix of downtown vs outskirts, like Jacksonville - 13th largest city in the US.

Incidentally, it appears that Google Maps is even confused. Shows a plethora of transit icons, some that say Miami Central, but when you click/hover on them, they say Miami Airport Station.

While I understand Amtrak will be unified with the new station in Miami in 2016, having the ability to transfer to tri rail on April 5th at the new Miami station will really be nice for those times you want to travel to Miami and have more convenient access. Amtrak shares track with Tri rail if I recall. So if someone needs accessibility you can make an Amtrak to tri rail connection at another station then get to the new Miami station .

April 5th will make Miami a lot more convenient for train passengers.

That in itself is an all new thread. There are larger cities without rail stations at all, and others where the station is outside the downtown area (ie: Charleston, SC). Not to mention, there are light rail connections from the Tri Rail into downtown where there is both the El and the People mover.Miami is the 44th largest city in the US. Phoenix at 6th, Columbus at 15th, Nashville at 25th, Louisville at 28th, Las Vegas at 30th, Mesa Arizona, Virginia Beach and Colorado Springs are all larger cities without Amtrak service at all. The rest are a mix of downtown vs outskirts, like Jacksonville - 13th largest city in the US.Incidentally, it appears that Google Maps is even confused. Shows a plethora of transit icons, some that say Miami Central, but when you click/hover on them, they say Miami Airport Station.
Cant comment on center of cities, but Amtrak has been doing some station work apparently with openings and closings.

Loads of train stations around the world with passenger service. Miami has been booming with high population growth in surrounding locales and traffic is very high. Hence the need for this new station which I also believe facilitates an airport link as well. Really good news Tri rail will be accessible and Amtrak passengers can avoid the old station if they need to by transferring to tri rail for now. More important for tri rail than amtrak at Miami if you had to pick which one came first, even tho tri rail doesnt have checked baggage like Amtrak.

SFRTA is touting that a person can now go between West Palm Beach and Florida City without using a car or a taxi. It's an epic journey, though: Tri-Rail to MIC, Metrorail to its southern terminus at Dadeland South, and finally Metrobus to Florida City on the busway.

Right now, you can transfer from Amtrak to Tri Rail with an inconvenient walk at Miami (Amtrak) to MetroRail Transfer Station. Or, you can have a same-platform train change in Hollywood from Amtrak to Tri-Rail. Of course, if your intent is to get to downtown Miami, then get on MetroRail (At Tri-Rail Station) instead of TriRail (at MetroRail Transfer Station). Or transfer to Tri-Rail at Hollywood then transfer again at MetroRail Transfer Station.

Maybe the naming issue WON'T get resolved - The Tri Rail station near Miami (Amtrak) is called MetroRail Transfer Station and the MetroRail station is called Tri-Rail.

They are some messed up folks down there. Drinkin' wayyyyy too much salt water.

SFRTA is touting that a person can now go between West Palm Beach and Florida City without using a car or a taxi. It's an epic journey, though: Tri-Rail to MIC, Metrorail to its southern terminus at Dadeland South, and finally Metrobus to Florida City on the busway.
Meh, if they truly want to impress me, have them give me a call when I can board in Jacksonville and hop off in Key West again.

Back