Miami Intermodal Center at Miami International Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Lynx bus in Orlando is pretty annoying. Many busses are scheduled to run once per hour, and they don't follow the schedule at all, so you may wait over an hour for your bus.

Once Uber came about with an affordable option, I've never taken Lynx again in Orlando.

I believe Brightline will run to the Orlando Airport, not the Orlando Amtrak station. Travelers from the north will still appreciate a one-seat ride to Miami without having to mess around with a transfer that would include a fairly substantial bus ride.
The "plan" is to run Brightline to the Orlando Airport and eventually possibly run SunRail to the airport. Currently, one can take SunRail from the Orlando Amtrak station to the Sand Lake Road SunRail station, then a bus to the airport. However, currently SunRail runs only on weekdays and there are gaps in coverage during non-peak hours.
Isn't there also a somewhat infrequent bus route with a stop within a couple of blocks of the Amtrak Station? I seem to recall finding one when I was looking for viable public transit means to travel from Orlando international Airport to Amtrak Station and decided that there really was none that was convenient for normal mortals (as opposed to public transit freaks
default_biggrin.png
)

The Lynx bus in Orlando is pretty annoying. Many busses are scheduled to run once per hour, and they don't follow the schedule at all, so you may wait over an hour for your bus.

Once Uber came about with an affordable option, I've never taken Lynx again in Orlando.

About good ol' Lynx, going a bit off topic for this. You would have to take two buses 11/40 between OIA and the Amtrak station. The best bus service from an Amtrak station in this city is the one in Winter Park. The 102 operates every 15 minutes between Downtown Orlando and Fern Park.

There are three other routes that serve the station during the morning and afternoon peak and finally another route that serves the station regularly (two of these routes go out to Pine Hills, one to Springs Village Shopping Center, and finally the Altamonte Mall.

Those four routes operate every hour. Most of Lynx's bus routes operate every half hour, although 20+ years ago when I started riding, that wasn't the case. As for following the schedules, its no lie that due to a shortage of bus drivers, some runs are actually missed and the public never knows about it. I was told most of the rookie drivers don't last long, due to the fact that drivers may not always get the chance to use the bathroom.

Not an easy job and its next to impossible to stay on time, because of traffic and passengers taking their time to board or pay the fare. The early morning and night runs are exceptions to that. Hope that answers all.

Last edited by a moderator:
They either edited the title again or I just didn't notice all of it the first time (probably the latter), but I will say that "Miami Intermodal Center (f/k/a Miami Central Station)" is dead on. And there's a difference between a 500 year old name like New Amsterdam, and a one year old name like Miami Central.

Well, perhaps it's all for the best anyway. Brightline is going to destroy Amtrak's Miami business pretty effectively. Arguably Amtrak should bite the bullet and relocate Hialeah shops to a more sensible location, like Pennsylvania. The Silver Service can reverse at Orlando, since nobody will be taking them south of Orlando in a few years.
I believe Brightline will run to the Orlando Airport, not the Orlando Amtrak station. Travelers from the north will still appreciate a one-seat ride to Miami without having to mess around with a transfer that would include a fairly substantial bus ride.
For now, Brightline won't completely wipe out Amtrak ridership because it isn't going to Tampa yet. However, Brightline has plans to expand to both Tampa and Jacksonville, and I personally expect them to happen. That'll be the end for Amtrak's ridership in Florida. Given that Brightline is moving pretty fast and that extensions are always easier than the first line, I expect Brightline to be in Tampa and Jacksonville within 10 years. The Hialeah location will be a liability worse than Beech Grove at that point.

The "plan" is to run Brightline to the Orlando Airport and eventually possibly run SunRail to the airport. Currently, one can take SunRail from the Orlando Amtrak station to the Sand Lake Road SunRail station, then a bus to the airport. However, currently SunRail runs only on weekdays and there are gaps in coverage during non-peak hours.
Isn't there also a somewhat infrequent bus route with a stop within a couple of blocks of the Amtrak Station? I seem to recall finding one when I was looking for viable public transit means to travel from Orlando international Airport to Amtrak Station and decided that there really was none that was convenient for normal mortals (as opposed to public transit freaks
default_biggrin.png
)
I think that description fits quite a few destinations in Orlando area. LYNX's new slogan could be "we come within a few blocks of almost going to most places".
default_smile.png

Well, perhaps it's all for the best anyway. Brightline is going to destroy Amtrak's Miami business pretty effectively. Arguably Amtrak should bite the bullet and relocate Hialeah shops to a more sensible location, like Pennsylvania. The Silver Service can reverse at Orlando, since nobody will be taking them south of Orlando in a few years.
For now, Brightline won't completely wipe out Amtrak ridership because it isn't going to Tampa yet. However, Brightline has plans to expand to both Tampa and Jacksonville, and I personally expect them to happen. That'll be the end for Amtrak's ridership in Florida. Given that Brightline is moving pretty fast and that extensions are always easier than the first line, I expect Brightline to be in Tampa and Jacksonville within 10 years. The Hialeah location will be a liability worse than Beech Grove at that point.
If Amtrak decides to curtail services to say, Jacksonville, this would seriously impact ridership on the Silvers. Maybe the more adventurous travellers would work out how to book a Brightline ticket for onward travel. But with the risk of late running on Amtrak, they might have to wait until they actually arrive before thzey do that, which would mean all low bucket seats would be gone. And even if Amtrak and Brightline manage to cooperate to the point of actually serving the same sttaion in Jacksonville, would they manage to offer thru checked luggage?

Today, the Silvers don't turn at DC either. They continue further north despite "competing" with services that are probbale more attractive, Amtrak undestands people want a single seat journey and don't want to change trains. I don't expect Florida wll be any different.

What is at risk of course is the intra-state ridership in Florida. .

Correct.

If and unless Amtrak solves their problems with freights, they will always have problems with on-time arrivals into Florida. On on-time Brightline train or a late Amtrak train delayed before ever hitting Florida?

If and unless Amtrak solves its inability to keep restrooms clean on southbound trains after a day of travel, people in Florida will take a train that has clean ones.

Im sure Amtrak could share booking services with Brightline like theyve agreed to with Texas Central (for whenever that service actually starts). This could have the effect of a single ticket ride from Silver Service to Brightline.

Im sure Amtrak could share booking services with Brightline like theyve agreed to with Texas Central (for whenever that service actually starts). This could have the effect of a single ticket ride from Silver Service to Brightline.
I doubt it. The two companies are in competition and I doubt that they'd want to work together. If Amtrak let you book a single ticket ride from the Silvers to Brightline, they would be losing out on the revenue for that leg. I just don't see why they'd want to do that. Also bear in mind that they don't use the same stations.

That was ruled out when the STB decided they didn't have jurisdiction over Brightline.

Correct.

If and unless Amtrak solves their problems with freights, they will always have problems with on-time arrivals into Florida. On on-time Brightline train or a late Amtrak train delayed before ever hitting Florida?

If and unless Amtrak solves its inability to keep restrooms clean on southbound trains after a day of travel, people in Florida will take a train that has clean ones.
In addition, Brightline trains are faster, cleaner, have far more frequencies, and tend to have better station locations.

If Brightline reaches Tampa and Jacksonville, intra-Florida Amtrak ridership (which is large) will fall off to near-zero. NEC-Miami and NEC-Tampa service would also drop off significantly. I expect NEC-Orlando traffic would survive, but given that ridership in Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina is anemic, the financial performance of the Silver Service will crater.

If Amtrak had any sense, it would be upgrading the Lake Shore Limited, for which there is no competition coming any time soon. But Amtrak's current CEO is an idiot.

I honestly think it remains to be seen how much of an impact Brightline has on Amtrak ridership in Florida. That is also dependent on whether a full build out even occurs.

On a smaller scale- Tri-Rail's numbers for the first 4 months of 2018 (BL was running between WPB to FTL at this point) are higher than '17. I would say Brightline had zero effect on Tri-Rail ridership, so far. I'll be interested to see June's, but I think the trend will continue. The Tri-Rail train I rode yesterday had quite a bit more people than I remember on a typical midday trip during the week.

Price will be a big factor too. I can pay $34 to ride the SM from WPB to Orlando tomorrow. I am sure Brightline will exceed that.

If Brightline reaches Tampa and Jacksonville, intra-Florida Amtrak ridership (which is large) will fall off to near-zero. NEC-Miami and NEC-Tampa service would also drop off significantly. I expect NEC-Orlando traffic would survive, but given that ridership in Georgia/South Carolina/North Carolina is anemic, the financial performance of the Silver Service will crater.

If Amtrak had any sense, it would be upgrading the Lake Shore Limited, for which there is no competition coming any time soon. But Amtrak's current CEO is an idiot.
Perhaps eventually, but i don't see this being a problem for a while (years). Right now changing to Brightline at WPB makes no sense except for the novelty. Even when the extension is complete, you'd have to get from downtown Orlando to the airport to ride - might as well stay in your seat/room, at least on the Meteor.

I agree that providing a flagship New York-Chicago service makes sense. Maybe Ed Ellis should stick a couple of cars on there...
default_smile.png
(duck & cover)

Perhaps eventually, but i don't see this being a problem for a while (years). Right now changing to Brightline at WPB makes no sense except for the novelty. Even when the extension is complete, you'd have to get from downtown Orlando to the airport to ride - might as well stay in your seat/room, at least on the Meteor.

I agree that providing a flagship New York-Chicago service makes sense. Maybe Ed Ellis should stick a couple of cars on there...
default_smile.png
(duck & cover)
Given the current financial state of Ed Ellis' empire, I wouldn't count on that.

On a smaller scale- Tri-Rail's numbers for the first 4 months of 2018 (BL was running between WPB to FTL at this point) are higher than '17. I would say Brightline had zero effect on Tri-Rail ridership, so far.
I feel like Tri-Rail is completely different than Brightline. Tri-Rail is a cheap, relatively slow, commuter service with plenty of intermediate stops. Brightline is high end higher-speed rail that serves a puny four stops. I just can't say that they're at all comparable. Brightline and Amtrak, however...

Price will be a big factor too. I can pay $34 to ride the SM from WPB to Orlando tomorrow. I am sure Brightline will exceed that.
On the other hand, is it worth the $34 compared to Brightline's probably higher price to go in the other direction when the arrival of the SM could mean a wait of many hours? Even northbound, we waited for an hour and a half for it from Ft. Lauderdale last fall to go to Savannah. I'd be hesitant to take Amtrak on any intra-Florida trip unless I could go from home to a station at the last minute so my wait would only be 15 minutes instead of hours. Even then, if you are going for the day and the train is 3 hours late...

Back