Miami Intermodal Center at Miami International Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The news that a shuttle will be operated for the 24 trains which do not go to MIA is not good for those f us who take Tri Rail to the air port. The shuttle, as it operated in the past caused a big delay which is not good when you are trying to get to the train. I see no need for Tri Rsil to go to the station BrightLine used.

I consider this development going backwards.

It's a 3.5 mile back  track from the station near the airport to Amtrak's  yard through many crossings. Just don't see Amtrak doing that.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Miami,+FL/@25.8236051,-80.2592971,7037m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x88d9b0a20ec8c111:0xff96f271ddad4f65!8m2!3d25.7616798!4d-80.1917902

How busy is 25th st.?
SAL did a back track further .  Their station was near  downtown ( maybe 8th st ) .  Their trains blocked several roads as well  and it was double track to station to enable simultaneously moving trains and ferry.  Then when the FEC strike caused ACL to use SAL into MIA it got very busy!

The news that a shuttle will be operated for the 24 trains which do not go to MIA is not good for those f us who take Tri Rail to the air port. The shuttle, as it operated in the past caused a big delay which is not good when you are trying to get to the train. I see no need for Tri Rsil to go to the station BrightLine used.

I consider this development going backwards.
To clarify, the shuttle is a train. I can still see how it will be a bit of a pain when you have to get off one train with all your luggage, get on another train, just to get back off 10 minutes later. 

To clarify, the shuttle is a train. I can still see how it will be a bit of a pain when you have to get off one train with all your luggage, get on another train, just to get back off 10 minutes later. 

I was not aware that the shuttle is to be s train. Previously it was a bus which ran once an hour.

Would it not be easier to wait for the MIC train and take the train that directly to MIC?

Ideally Tri-Rail should run a short turn service from somewhere like Fort Lauderdale to MIC every hour and another hourly from WPB to MiamiCentral that passes through FLL half hour past when the short turn leaves FLL. But we have a little ways to go until that happens probably.

There's no way Amtrak could ever serve MiamiCentral, right?
If Amtrak is having conniption about backing a consist on a straight track from MIC to Hialeah, I would imagine they would completely apoplectic faced with the possibility of backing out of MC to Hialeah.

Fortunately they may actually able to back out and use the other leg of the Wye to then move forward to Hialeah. But it is a long long way from MC to Hialeah, either way.

But the issue of platform length, or lack thereof may arise if their trains grow much longer than 9-10 cars, specially for arriving trains with two diesels occupying platform space at the bumper end.

There is absolutely no facility accounted for at MC for providing requisite passenger services for Amtrak LD trains independent of Brightline. In short right now there is no plan whatsoever for handling Amtrak at MC. Even those that are talking of Amtrak on FEC currently visualize Amtrak switching over to Tri-Rail tracks a little north of WPB.

Silver Service trains are too long for MC, and platforms at MC can't be lengthened (the ramp starts soon after the platform end, and the other end is practically running into buildings).  The end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Service trains are too long for MC, and platforms at MC can't be lengthened (the ramp starts soon after the platform end, and the other end is practically running into buildings).  The end.
They are actually designed for standard length 12 cars since Brightline plans to run 10 car + two power head trains into their platforms. I am not sure whether the Tri-Rail platforms are shorter or not.

But then, if Amtrak has its way, the Silver trains would just be 8 cars or shorter, no? :unsure:

Amtrak just put out a bid for some improvements at the current Miami station. While not major work, that still does not bode well for any possible relocation to one of the other stations.

1) Host railroads are often remarkably unwilling to entertain even minor adjustments to timetables, much less minor reroutes.

2) Switching to FEC or going to Miami Central is not a "minor" reroute.

Suffice it to say that Amtrak will also have to create a small sub fleet of FEC e-ATC PTC equipped engines to operate anywhere on the FEC.

I very much doubt that TriRail would cede any space at its platforms at Miami Central to anyone else given their evolving operating plans, specially for the sort of windows an LD train that has to back in or back out will require. So I don’t see how Amtrak will ever get to Miami Central. The VTUSA platforms are already fully spoken for too with possible coastal commuter service in the works.

Amtrak switching to FEC would mostly involve running from JAX to the WPB crossover, if it happens at all.

Agreed. It would be odd to “announce an update” and then the update be “this isn’t going to work, we tried.”
Read the tweet, which is linked in the news article. FDOT didn't publicly announce that they had something to say. They're just responding to a request for a status update from the Citizens' Independent Transportation Trust (whoever that is.)

FDOT scheduled a briefing to the group, somebody tweeted asking the group if they knew anything, the group tweeted back that they had an update scheduled, and then the unrelated website picked up the tweet and published it.

Let us see A current silver star #92 = 1140 feet. Try fitting a #91has 5 coaches, 4 sleepers diner, lounge and probably a baggage. At 85 feet per car that will be what? 1020 feet + 2 locos in front. Now if 91 came in there what in the world would passengers in the rear do? Walk thru 8 cars to get off?

Back