Miami station?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

Train Attendant
What is the status of the Miami station move? I know they are planning to move it to the new airport intermodal center, but that was delayed due to poor planning for the length of the trains blocking a road. I just haven't been able to find a status update in a while. We just booked a roommette on the Silver Star to/from Columbia-Miami in November. Thanks!

I have my doubts that they are moving any time soon, because they are laying new rail, new concrete ties and new ballast on the station tracks. If they were moving soon, I doubt if they would go through the expense of doing that. I think you can plan on arriving at the current station in Hialeah.

What is the status of the Miami station move? I know they are planning to move it to the new airport intermodal center, but that was delayed due to poor planning for the length of the trains blocking a road. I just haven't been able to find a status update in a while. We just booked a roommette on the Silver Star to/from Columbia-Miami in November. Thanks!
The last public news on this was that Amtrak is going to move to the Miami Airport station in 2016. Which is a rather large window. There is a thread on the delays and screw-ups on the Miami Airport station, which was going to called Miami Central Station (until All Aboard Florida started building their station in downtown Miami): Miami Central Station (MIA Airport).

As for the new rail and ties going in at Hialeah, the Silvers will still use the facility for overnight servicing, so the track work probably doesn't indicate anything about the plans for relocating the Miami passenger stop to the shiny new intermodal station at the airport. Likely just routine track maintenance.

When I was small (many decades ago) I remember dropping my mother and sister off at the Opa-Locka station (yes there was one) so they could ride the train to downtown Miami to shop.

When I was small (many decades ago) I remember dropping my mother and sister off at the Opa-Locka station (yes there was one) so they could ride the train to downtown Miami to shop.
Tri-Rail still stops in Opa-Locka. The old station is still standing adjacent to the Tri-Rail platforms. While you can't get to downtown Miami today, Tri-Rail is working on a connection to the FEC to bring trains into the new All Aboard Florida station downtown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, Tri-state went up after I moved to Kauai. Sadly, we are down to one sugar cane train for tourists to ride. The old cane haul roads make fantastic shoreline bike and walking paths

I hate it when computers correct me, I typed "Tri-state and it changed it to Tri-state !

The last public news on this was that Amtrak is going to move to the Miami Airport station in 2016. Which is a rather large window. There is a thread on the delays and screw-ups on the Miami Airport station, which was going to called Miami Central Station (until All Aboard Florida started building their station in downtown Miami): Miami Central Station (MIA Airport).

As for the new rail and ties going in at Hialeah, the Silvers will still use the facility for overnight servicing, so the track work probably doesn't indicate anything about the plans for relocating the Miami passenger stop to the shiny new intermodal station at the airport. Likely just routine track maintenance.
The track work that is going on is the platform tracks in the current station. The maintenance facility is north of that and there is no work going on there, at least at this time. So again, why would they be sprucing up the station tracks if they have plans to leave next year?

The track work that is going on is the platform tracks in the current station. The maintenance facility is north of that and there is no work going on there, at least at this time. So again, why would they be sprucing up the station tracks if they have plans to leave next year?
Station tracks will be used as part of the yard for the forseeable future. Heck, they're inside the loop track. And they probably needed to be repaired.

Since Amtrak is going to move at the *end* of next year at the *earliest* (given the rate at which the airport station construction is going), it's not like they're moving out *soon*.

It's a foregone conclusion that Amtrak will move to the airport station. Nothing else would be tolerated by the local politicos, and from a profit-and-loss point of view, Boardman would be a fool if he didn't make sure it happened -- it's the sort of thing Congress could hit him over the head with. But how long will it take?... how long has it taken to implement the PIPs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Neroden, I appreciate your optimism, but being a resident of the Miami area myself, I would not be quite so generous as you in my opinion of the local politicos. Miami has been putting its head in the sand for the last 20 years, it seems, regarding advancing transportation projects.

I beg to differ. I left Miami, where I was born, 23 years ago. Miami politicians heads have been in the sand for far more than 20 years.

The Amtrak Engineering Dept has been on a roll with track work the last several months. The station track construction is just the latest work done in Hialeah. There has also been quite a bit of track work going on in Jacksonville, Sanford, Savannah and Tampa.

I'm not even sure my view qualifies as optimism. I think that the politicians will want to have another grand ribbon-cutting when Amtrak moves to the Miami Airport station.... or will use any failure to move as a stick to beat Amtrak with. I also think the move won't happen for another year, minimum.

I still think it'll happen eventually because otherwise Amtrak has to build full-length high platforms at Hialeah, which is not an expense Amtrak wants on its books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back