Miami to KCY: Lake Shore or Cardinal in January?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtraknovi

Train Attendant
Looking a redeeming a 2 zone award for roomette from Miami to KCY in Early Jan. Of the three options to get to CHI and the Chief, which do you think I should take? I have never been on either train. I like the idea of some time in NYC (assuming on time) but have heard the scenery on the Cardinal is better. Thoughts?

I prefer the Lake Shore Limited over the Cardinal from NYP to CHI. Coming from Miami, you could transit from the Silver

to the Cardinal at WAS and avoid New York. The scenery on the Cardinal is good and arrival into CHI is later than

the LSL. Enjoy your trip.

I vote for taking the Capitol between DC & Chicago, in order to get from Miami to KC. Don't disregard the Cap! It runs every day, with nowhere near the issues that the Cardinal faces.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Jan, going westbound, you'll miss all the best scenery that the Cardinal has to offer. By the time the train gets to New River Gorge, it will be dark. And that's assuming no delays!

Eastbound would be a different matter, but going west at that time of the year I would not consider the Cardinal if you're doing it for the scenery.

Frankly even much of the better scenery on the Cap & LSL is also hit after darkness falls in Jan, but at least those 2 trains have a better dining car.

Ok I just took the cap eastbound and it was a good trip, so ill decide behind between the Cap and LSL. Guess its a question of super liner vs view liner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back