Midwest Rail Plan final Report

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

IndyLions

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
Additionally, the Toledo-Detroit connection seems interesting for me as well. According to my geo portal, there seem to be in minimum 4 different tracks running directly northwards between those two cities. Could it not be possible to acquire one line completely from the freight companies? Is there somebody here who can give me an explanation for the situation there?
It is completely feasible that the state of Michigan could acquire trackage to Toledo. They own the tracks from Kalamazoo to Dearborn, with Amtrak owning Kalamazoo to Porter, IN. And because there are so many active lines Detroit-Toledo and even Ann Arbor-Toledo, it seems there should be a willing partner at some point.

west point

Engineer
2 main tracks CTC Detroit - TOL seems much better. Combine and leave room for any future passenger only tracks . Run one or 2 services presently on the 2 MTs and when enough passenger trains are warranted build the passenger train only track next to the 2 MT.

John Bredin

OBS Chief
I'm not sure why they are pushing for a Dubuque connection when Chicago to Iowa City would be a home run...so many students at the U of I are from Chicago.
1) Why not both Dubuque and Iowa City *if* the money's available?

2) I imagine Galena alone merits service beyond Rockford as it's a popular destination for day trips and weekends from Chicago. If they get to Galena, why not a bit farther to Dubuque?

3) This is all a bit moot. For the foreseeable future -- as long as CN acts like it acts now -- nothing will get beyond Rockford on CN tracks, which is the only route between Rockford, Galena, and Dubuque.

John Bredin

OBS Chief
And good luck getting Kim Reynolds to sign off on passenger rail. She's still brown-nosing for a position in the Trump cabinet, despite the fact that Biden won AND is in office.
1) The money doesn't have to come from the state of Iowa. Davenport and Iowa City -- or their counties, or their chambers of commerce, or tourism boards, or some combination -- could contribute.

2) Service in Iowa could begin under the corridor development program. (Does anyone know if that passed with the infrastructure bill?) Yes, the state or somebody would be expected to pony up after a few years. But it's harder to demagogue an existing service with a constituency than a hypothetical service with only advocates.

GoAmtrak

Train Attendant
Thank you for your insights about Iowa, John Bredin. I would also like to have railway service expanded in Iowa. Currently, none of the 10 largest cities in Iowa are served by any sort passenger rail! Perhaps with the Amtrak 2035 plans there could be a chance to change that. But there is a need to step in by the Iowa Representatives to move things forward.

Concerning Ohio, future improvements seem to be more concrete, with a timeline of about 3 to 4 years to re-install passenger railway service between Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati:

4 years would be quite solid. Let's hope we don't end up waiting 40 years.

Strangely enough, I have no news about the Toledo-Detroit-connection we talked recently. Has anybody news about it? Such a short distance with such nice effects on the network in the region. Let's make it happen!

I appreciate the efforts and the media presence of some figures of All Aboard Ohio who push to move forward (especially concerning connections to and from Cincinnati). From All Aboard Wisconsin in contrast, there isn't a lot to hear in the media (despite quite impressive plans presented by Amtrak for Wisconsin).

Dakota 400

Engineer
AU Supporter
Concerning Ohio, future improvements seem to be more concrete, with a timeline of about 3 to 4 years to re-install passenger railway service between Cleveland, Columbus and Cincinnati
I appreciate the efforts and the media presence of some figures of All Aboard Ohio who push to move forward
If the Federal money needed to start this service is part of a grant program with the State providing equal amounts of money, that could be a very large stumbling block for Ohio. We have a conservatively centralist GOP Governor who has not committed on the starting of the 3C+D service. We have a General Assembly who is much more conservative than the Governor, but, when the proposal was first made by Amtrak, my own State Senator who is quite conservative seemed open to considering it. There is a Democratic candidate for Governor in 2022 who has voiced her strong support for the 3C+D service. The results of the 2022 election may be extremely important as to what happens to this proposed service.

GoAmtrak

Train Attendant
If the Federal money needed to start this service is part of a grant program with the State providing equal amounts of money, that could be a very large stumbling block for Ohio. We have a conservatively centralist GOP Governor who has not committed on the starting of the 3C+D service. We have a General Assembly who is much more conservative than the Governor, but, when the proposal was first made by Amtrak, my own State Senator who is quite conservative seemed open to considering it. There is a Democratic candidate for Governor in 2022 who has voiced her strong support for the 3C+D service. The results of the 2022 election may be extremely important as to what happens to this proposed service.
I learned it is Dayton major Nan Whaley who strongly supports Amtrak service from Cleveland to Cincinnati.

In another article, they said it would not take 3 to 4 years to re-open service between Cleveland and Cincinnati, but 10 years. Whaley Leads Drive For Infrastructure Bill

How can this take so long? Tracks are there, you just need to upgrade them a little bit. In ten years you could almost build an entire new line. It's not a trip from New Mexico to Alaska, it's Cleveland - Cincinnati :rolleyes: Additionally, with all those delays which frequently occur I fear we end up waiting that many years...

west point

Engineer
There may be incorrect assumptions made about how fast projects can be started. Is there an assumption that there is immediate availability of track and signal material. Ties probably will not be a limitation. But what about rail? Orders for rail may have been made for the next 2 - 3 years future delivery? There might not be any additional capacity in the short run? Then you have the necessity of grading for additional sidings and 2nd main track? If there are utilities under the tracks that are not encased that will have to be completed first.

Dakota 400

Engineer
AU Supporter
I learned it is Dayton major Nan Whaley who strongly supports Amtrak service from Cleveland to Cincinnati.

In another article, they said it would not take 3 to 4 years to re-open service between Cleveland and Cincinnati, but 10 years. Whaley Leads Drive For Infrastructure Bill

How can this take so long? Tracks are there, you just need to upgrade them a little bit. In ten years you could almost build an entire new line. It's not a trip from New Mexico to Alaska, it's Cleveland - Cincinnati :rolleyes: Additionally, with all those delays which frequently occur I fear we end up waiting that many years...
I am unsure as to the accuracy of this TV stations reporting. Of the three TV stations in Dayton, this one has the weakest news department.

If the money is available, it won't take 10 years to get this route started. Maybe the largest issue will be where to locate the stations in Columbus and Dayton. There is nothing in Dayton that would be remotely adequate to serve Amtrak and I suspect Columbus has the same issue.

danasgoodstuff

Service Attendant
Stations will be a sticking point, but even with some appropriate process around that it should be possible to get this done in 5-6 years.

Just me

Train Attendant
When I was a kid, one of my fondest memories was riding the train from a small town in SW Indiana to St. Louis to visit relatives. Passenger service stopped after a few years of my being "of travel age" according to my family. Logistically, it is almost a straight shot. It would be nice if they would consider a route from Louisville through Evansville, IN through Carbondale and then on west to St. Louis.

Dakota 400

Engineer
AU Supporter
Stations will be a sticking point, but even with some appropriate process around that it should be possible to get this done in 5-6 years.
And, I think sooner than that. If all of those at all levels of government in Ohio are on board with the plan. And, if it's a matching grant type of funding, Ohio's General Assembly will do its part. (The last I read, Ohio has a sizable "rainy day fund" and if the economy continues to improve, our tax revenues ought to increase.)

I'm excited for some of this to happen - I haven't really checked into it yet, but hopefully Illinois snags some of the infrastructure money to push ahead with Rockford and Quad Cities to get them/be ready for when the new Siemens cars finally arrive...