Midwest Venture introduction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShiningTimeStL

Train Attendant
In his latest video which covered a pre-covid trip on the MO River Runner, French Youtuber "Simply Railway" says the latest rumor is that the midwest Velaro cars could go into service by this August. That's about a month away. I find this at least a little hard to believe, but I want to. Does anybody have any idea when they're supposed to start rolling? I would think we'd be seeing more test trains, and there haven't been any cab cars spotted yet, if those are even still in the plan.

In his latest video which covered a pre-covid trip on the MO River Runner, French Youtuber "Simply Railway" says the latest rumor is that the midwest Velaro cars could go into service by this August. That's about a month away. I find this at least a little hard to believe, but I want to. Does anybody have any idea when they're supposed to start rolling? I would think we'd be seeing more test trains, and there haven't been any cab cars spotted yet, if those are even still in the plan.

Midwest didn’t order cab cars. And there’s really only so much testing one can do. Easier to deadhead the crews into Chicago for training than ship test trains to them.

First thing is to identify the source. It is entirely possible that fittings they would purchase and install (rather than make in house) were not manufactured to spec. Plumbing items like valves or faucets. Or even solder that was used in assembly. Remember,, a large part of building a railcar is putting together pieces made by someone else.

Did the Brightline Venture coaches report the same problem with lead? If not, is it possible that Sumitomo, as contractor, or Siemens engaged in a little bit of "value engineering"? Did Caltrans approve of any changes to the fixtures?

Delay due lead in the water system.
No additional word??

Still no sign of them here in Chicago. How could lead in the water supply possibly be an issue with new cars? They install the wrong piping in these things? Just seems crazy that brand new equipment is sitting idle for this long. Dying to take a ride on them.

How could lead in the water supply possibly be an issue with new cars? They install the wrong piping in these things?
Imported parts from a country that has lacking or low safety standards, or just does understand the “why” and is more focus on the cost per unit.
Just seems crazy that brand new equipment is sitting idle for this long.
VIA has a set of equipment getting delivery video on YouTube.
Dying to take a ride on them.
No, I think lead poisoning is more brain fog than death.

Last edited:
Here’s my take: The lead content in the water exceeds some arbitrary number made up by the state of California, when in fact, it’s probably safe. You’ll only have a CHANCE to be exposed to excessive amounts of lead if you’re LIVING on the train and drinking 18-gallons of water per day.

GET THOSE CARS IN SERVICE!!!!!

Here’s my take: The lead content in the water exceeds some arbitrary number made up by the state of California, when in fact, it’s probably safe. You’ll only have a CHANCE to be exposed to excessive amounts of lead if you’re LIVING on the train and drinking 18-gallons of water per day.

GET THOSE CARS IN SERVICE!!!!!

You do realize that if someone got sick from drinking the water, Amtrak, Siemens, California, Illinois and some bystanders would be sued for all the money in the world. You can't deliberatly expose people to dangers that you know about.

Just got off the train from Jefferson City - St. Louis - really old and falling apart... seats broken, bathrooms in disarray etc... new cars can't come quickly enough... although that could be said about the entire Amtrak rolling stock; especially the Superliners!

You do realize that if someone got sick from drinking the water, Amtrak, Siemens, California, Illinois and some bystanders would be sued for all the money in the world. You can't deliberatly expose people to dangers that you know about.
My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek ; no one would want to be knowingly exposed to unsafe levels of ANYTHING, and yes, Amtrak certainty doesn’t want to risk a lawsuit over lead-laced water. But my desire to see the new cars rolling remains; my wife and I live on the BNSF line here in Downers, and I had a chance to see them roll pat our back yard. Looked fantastic!

What is strange is that the original Brightline train sets have not been reported as having lead. Also who is responsible for the cars in Illinois maintenance. Is it Amtrak or some state agency. Has any work started to mitigate the problem ?

Last edited:
What is strange is that the original Brightline train sets have not been reported as having lead.Also who is responsible for the cars in Illinois maintenance. Is it Amtrak or some state agency. Has any work started to mitigate the problem ?

This doesn't have anything to do with maintenance. It's the way they came out of the factory.

Just got off the train from Jefferson City - St. Louis - really old and falling apart... seats broken, bathrooms in disarray etc... new cars can't come quickly enough... although that could be said about the entire Amtrak rolling stock; especially the Superliners!
The Horizon’s have always been pretty crappy though I’ve ridden them so much I’m kind of fond of them. Used to love getting on the Hoosier at 5:45 or so and getting to Indy around midnight just in time for last call. We’ll miss them when they’re gone.

Reactions: Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back