Midwest Venture introduction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it's possible that something can meet the made-in-USA requirements, yet still be made of imported components?
It is possible. One has to meet the overall foreign content threshold to meet the domestic requirement. I don't know what the current requirements are.

Incidentally, as an aside, the Brightline cars do meet the domestic content requirement, so I don't think that has much bearing on why the Midwest/Cali order got borked. Just different suppliers of some plumbing parts, or a bad batch or something like that.

Last edited:
19" width is the number I've seen as well. That is anywhere from 1/2" to 2 inches above typical airline coach. But to be fair, regardless of width, seat design contributes to comfort and there are good and bad seats for lots of reasons.

Some airlines also measure the size of the seat cushion instead of the width between the arm rests. Once you figure in the arm rests, that can easily knock off an inch or so.

19" width is the number I've seen as well. That is anywhere from 1/2" to 2 inches above typical airline coach. But to be fair, regardless of width, seat design contributes to comfort and there are good and bad seats for lots of reasons.

19 inches seems really good, and sounds comfortable, the moveable armrests are great for accessibility. l do know materials matter for seat comfort but on airplanes at least, 17 inches verses at least 18 or 19 inches wide is the difference between the armrest cutting into my partners hips or her sitting comfortably (we do manage on airplanes with 17 inch wide seats but it's by raising the armrest between us and contorting ourselves). An example in terms of comfort, my partner prefers the bench-like seats on LLC airlines like frontier and spirit, because her backfat gives her lots of padding and since the seats don't recline there isn't the treat of someone reclining into her belly. My boney back on the other hand can't sand the lack of padding on LLC airline seats. Conversely I am also interested in the tray tables. I hope they have a bifold design or some design that moves front to back after they are deployed, because she can't use them on the Amfleet I or Horizon seats (long distance superliners and Amfleet IIs are fine) since the way those tray tables comes down makes the tray table go right into her belly.

It isn't just material, the seat may have a longer or shorter cushion, depending on where the edge falls on your leg, it is a plus or minus, also, thinner seats may allow for a bit more room at a given pitch, but some people find them too firm. It really is a challenge, since we come in so many sizes and shapes, and what may feel great for an hour or two flight may be unpleasant on a much longer one. I like the 2x1 seats in the BC club cars, but despite the bulkhead seats having legroom galore, lack of a tray table can be a PITA for some trips.

So everybody should be uncomfortable in smaller seats in order for very few people to get down the aisle easier?

Wider aisles make it easier for everyone to move up and down them; especially if they have luggage or two people need to pass.
I love that the arm rests can be raised.
I love that there are armrests between the seats!

Amfleet-1 once had armrests between the seats. They were about 3" wide but protruded less out than the side ones. Popular demand had them yanked out within a few years. People were also using them as stepstools to get to the luggage racks, which is dangerous.

For reference, if Google is correct, the current Amtrak seats in coach are 23 inches wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back