'Miles In Transit' rides the subways of Toronto and Montreal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fenway

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Miles Taylor has been blogging about transit since he was 13 ( he is now 22 )

https://milesintransit.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/MilesinTransit/videos
As a high school student, he pretty much rode the entire MBTA system and planned to do the same on SEPTA when he chose the University of Pennsylvania for college but COVID derailed that.

Recently he explored Toronto and Montreal.

Miles can be snarky at times, especially in 'What were they thinking?' tirades but he represents the next generation of transit planners.

I admire his enthusiasm and I wish I had the tools he has today back in 1972 when I was 22.

Reece Martin who has videos under the name RMtransit is another good source of videos on transit subjects. He has his own particular views which I don't always agree with but is interesting to listen to.
I find RM transit to be a little too pro rail (if that’s possible.

Sometimes it seems like he rejects what might be an otherwise good non-rail transit option just because it isn’t rail.

Miles is a funny guy. I met him on the inaugural night owl in 2021. Nerdy as they get

He tweets about the idiotic decisions of his current home system of SEPTA often.
Yes I'm sure that would give him a lot to complain about 😀 But after moving from the Philadelphia to the Boston area I found that SEPTA regional Rail was light years ahead of Boston's commuter rail equivalent.

Yes I'm sure that would give him a lot to complain about 😀 But after moving from the Philadelphia to the Boston area I found that SEPTA regional Rail was light years ahead of Boston's commuter rail equivalent.
They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'd say the MBTA rapid transit system is slightly less dangerous and slightly more usable than SEPTA's.

They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'd say the MBTA rapid transit system is slightly less dangerous and slightly more usable than SEPTA's.
Agreed. When I lived in the Philly area there were many who wouldn't go near the Broad Street Subway even in the daytime. I used it a few times myself mostly in my college days just for the experience of riding the B1 and B3 cars. OTOH I would have no problem riding any of Boston's rapid transit lines.

Agreed. When I lived in the Philly area there were many who wouldn't go near the Broad Street Subway even in the daytime. I used it a few times myself mostly in my college days just for the experience of riding the B1 and B3 cars. OTOH I would have no problem riding any of Boston's rapid transit lines.
Oh I meant operationally, not crime-wise.

I took graduate courses at Temple in 1980 and lived in Fishtown.

The BSL was in rough shape then and was even considering buying cars being retired from the MBTA's Orange Line but the specs didn't work. The M-F line seemed modern back then with the M-3 Budd cars and at least in Center City, the subway stations were spruced up.

SEPTA regional rail came together when the Center City Tunnel was built in the early '80s and it transformed downtown. By comparison, the MBTA commuter rail to this day is still stuck with the cultures of the New Haven, New York Central, and Boston & Maine that they inherited.

The Boston commuter rail actually ran well when Amtrak had the contract to run it but...................

What is needed is Buddliner 2.0

1650187097077.png

Miles Taylor has been blogging about transit since he was 13 ( he is now 22 )

As a high school student, he pretty much rode the entire MBTA system and planned to do the same on SEPTA when he chose the University of Pennsylvania for college but COVID derailed that.

Recently he explored Toronto and Montreal.

Miles can be snarky at times, especially in 'What were they thinking?' tirades but he represents the next generation of transit planners.

I admire his enthusiasm and I wish I had the tools he has today back in 1972 when I was 22.

It was Daybeers who (virtually) introduced me to Miles when the trio took a day trip to Gilman, "Amtrak's least busy station in IL." See thread at Trains in Rural Areas. Thank you, Daybeers! Yeah, so far as I've seen, Miles can be snarky (so am I) but never unkind. Miles's parents are pretty good sports too. I like their low-budget adventures and running commentary. Kid'll go far. In life and on trains.

Agreed. When I lived in the Philly area there were many who wouldn't go near the Broad Street Subway even in the daytime.
I rode the Broad St. Subway every day from 1967 to 1971 to go to high school. Yeah, it went through some pretty bad neighborhoods, but I never felt it was particularly dangerous. I did a joyride on it back in 2018 during a federal government shutdown. I thought they had fixed it up a good bit (compared to circa 1970), and, again, I didn't feel particularly unsafe, either crime- or operational- wise.

Back