Miles Traveled on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sky12065

Conductor
AlanB had mentioned in a post a couple of days ago how many miles he has accumulated riding Amtrak. It was around 90,000 miles. I thought it would be interesting to know how far others have traveled using Amtrak if they can figure it out without the use of a computer because of the miles being so high! :lol:

I figured out mine and it's approximately 26,750 miles over 32 years. (yes, I needed a computer, but not because my miles are that high) :blink:

As you can see by my signature, I have computed over 56,000 miles since 1971. And that doesn't include the last 5 years. (The computer - and the computee :lol: - needed a rest.) And I have over 12,000 more miles planned during the next 2 months! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Like my signature says, 12,138 miles and counting. I will be adding another 2,482 miles in October (Champaign-Chicago and Chicago-Sacramento).

Add in two round trips from Spokane-Chicago in the pre-Amtrak days, one round trip between Chicago and Bloomington, and another pre-Amtrak Spokane-Hinkle round-trip, and my total rail miles add up to 20,000+. And by next month, I should have enough AGR points to qualify for the famous Slidell-Los Angeles loophole trip. Should I take that trip next year, that will add the miles to the total quickly!

While I may only have a few thousand lifetime miles on Amtrak, I do have some classic trains under my belt, including CHI-NOR on the Lone Star, SAS-STL via the InterAmerican and a few spins CHI-STL on the Turboliners.

I am at 3,107 Amtrak Miles to date... all between KC, St. Louis, Kirkwood Missouri, Chicago and Grand Rapids

(Missouri Mules, Lincoln Service, Ann Rutledge, SW Chief, Pere Marquette) After taking a one-way trip in late 1997 I was hooked... but shortly thereafter I moved to Nashville and was without access to Amtrak for several years.

But, I have two trips planned in September (KC-Chicago and KC-St. Louis) that will bring my Amtrak total to 5,047.

I am going to a conference in DC next spring and hope to take Amtrak then... that will be my first overnight experience.

I would never ever count miles on Amtrak. It's national public infrastructure used to get people where they need to go, not a subsidized hobby for rail nerds. Counting miles is lame.

I would never ever count miles on Amtrak. It's national public infrastructure used to get people where they need to go, not a subsidized hobby for rail nerds. Counting miles is lame.
Heresy! Shall we vote to ban Spokker from AU? :lol:

What would you say about people who maintain a FlightMemory? ;)

Pretty much the same. Counting miles cheapens Amtrak's mission to me. It becomes less "vital transportation infrastructure" and more, "Well, we might as well can these long haul routes because I don't want my tax dollars going to pay for some nerd's happy train fun time mile counting contest."

Do what you want, of course. But I will never count miles. Amtrak is a public good, not some insane hobby.

In other words, I like dispensing advice to new riders, reading advice from others, and keeping tabs on the future of Amtrak. I'm not interested in comparing whose is bigger and I'm creeped out that there are so many who do.

Pretty much the same. Counting miles cheapens Amtrak's mission to me. It becomes less "vital transportation infrastructure" and more, "Well, we might as well can these long haul routes because I don't want my tax dollars going to pay for some nerd's happy train fun time mile counting contest."

Do what you want, of course. But I will never count miles. Amtrak is a public good, not some insane hobby.

In other words, I like dispensing advice to new riders, reading advice from others, and keeping tabs on the future of Amtrak. I'm not interested in comparing whose is bigger and I'm creeped out that there are so many who do.
I understand your lack of desire to keep track of miles, and I understand that not everybody is a railfan. But to say that you're creeped out about someone's hobby is a bit extreme, if you ask me.

There are people who like all kinds of things that I can't say I enjoy. Gardening, for example. Why anyone would want to kneel in the grass, get dirt under their fingernails, have slugs and snails crawl all over them, and spend hours per day tending to a tiny little flower is a foreign concept to me. I simply don't enjoy it. But I respect that some people enjoy seeing the fruits of their labor pop out of the ground.

I like driving cars, and I like feeling a nice, powerful engine under my hood. I like nice car interiors and playing with the technology in high-end luxury cars. But I can't really get excited about the old muscle cars that my dad or a couple of my coworkers are into. But I understand why they like to compare things like 454 big blocks and 327 small-blocks and all that other stuff that I have no idea about. (One thing that I will admit is just completely foreign to me is the love of NASCAR...why it is riveting to watch cars drive around in circles is beyond comprehension! No offense to any southern boys out here on AU... :p )

For me, I grew up literally right next to the Southern Pacific tracks that the Coast Starlight runs on just north of San Luis Obispo, CA. There was something awe-inspiring and almost magical of seeing a chain of half a dozen lumbering locomotives, each weighing several hundred thousand pounds and producing thousands of horsepower, pulling this long, heavy string of cars filled with everything from lumber to paper to cars. It was bigger than me--the same feeling I get when I look up at (or down from) a huge skyscraper.

I'm sorry that you don't enjoy it, but I get a little rush every time I see a train go by or, especially, when I get to ride one. There's just something inexplicably magical and--like I said--bigger than me when I encounter these majestic, huge hunks of metal.

To be called creepy for appreciating that actually, to be honest, sort of offends me. Yes, I may be a nerd, but what's so wrong with being one? And why must something be forbidden from being enjoyed simply because that's not its primary mission?

And it's not all about comparing who's is bigger. There are many different aspects of railfandom, and some people are really into the whole spotting-as-many-different-types-of-equipment-as-you can (the British call this, appropriately enough, "trainspotting," and it seems to be a semi-respected hobby over there). Some people like to compare stats and figures of different engines (that comparing who's bigger thing that you mentioned). Some people like to collect historic railroad information (timetables, lanterns, etc.). Others are into modeling and go to great pains to accurately represent a given railroad or location to the finest detail. Some people are only interested in steam engines, while others are more excited by high-speed electric trains. (Personally, I couldn't give two toots about blowing steam, but watching the countryside scream by at 186mph from a French TGV or even cruising along the Southern Californian beaches parallel to I-5 at 90mph on the Surfliner is, to me, an über-cool experience.)

And I don't think that counting miles cheapens Amtrak's mission any more than people who enjoy cars cheapens their usefulness for transportation. If anything, our evangelism for rail travel, even if we fail to excite others about the fun of trains and only get them to realize that it is a viable option that is more comfortable than driving and could save them money, is something that can only help Amtrak.

Be careful when you criticize others' hobbies. I hope you didn't intend offense with your post, but it certainly didn't sound like you want to be a friendly member of a pleasant (if a bit enthusiastic) community.

As long as you ride Spokker, for whatever reason you pay the fare. The fare is what counts. All of us who ride Amtrak pay the fare and that is what helps to keep Amtrak going. I ride Amtrak as a means of transportation to get to where I want to go. If I happen to be on vacation so what. If I can get to where I want to vacation on Amtrak great. I go to the west coast every year. I dont want to fly or drive. If You were driving you would keep track of the miles. [ Oil changes, MPG ect. ] These things would be very important to you for maintenance tracking. So I count miles saved on my car. So far I have saved over 62,500 miles. Thats 1/3 the life of a cars engine for me. All so the past 4 years it has cost less to travel Amtrak to visit my sons than to drive. Another reason to count miles on Amtrak. Many people are doing the math. Ridership is up. Mile counting [ As in MPG ] is big on the list of reasons.

What if a conductor was an AU member. That person would put us all to shame.

So count miles, dont count miles. Just support Amtrak. :)

Spokker, I didn't ask for miles in terms of riding the train just as a form of recreation. I asked miles, all miles because I thought it would be just plain interesting for myself and others to see. Also don't narrow your think about rail travel. Yes Amtrak is national public infastructure as you say, but it's not there just for those who need to get from point A to point B, but it's equally there for those who are enthusists as well as those just looking for a relaxing experience and scenery that they can't enjoy by auto travel. If it weren't then you probably wouldn't see as much "infastructure" as you do today!

Also, I'm not a nerd as you are describe me and others, I don't always carry a pen holder in my shirt pocket nor do I have any tape aroung the extension of my glasses! BTW, I mentioned that I have over 26,000 mile ontrak, but there has not been a single mile that I traveled just for pleasure. Every one of them has been to get from point A to point B and next year it may be expanded to include point C and point D then back home to point E; most of them to national conventions of a fraternal organization I belong to! And they're not just because I "needed" to go, but wanted to go!

Think positive, not negative... you'll enjoy life more! ;)

To each their own, I always say.

My interest would not be in tabulating mileage but in riding as many segments of the national system as I could. I could in theory ride the appx. 50 miles from here to DC and back every workday for a year on Amtrak and wind up with 26,000 "Amtrak miles" a year which sounds impressive. Of course, in those 26,000 miles, the experience would be greatly limited - seeing only 4 stations (BAL-BWI-NCR-WAS), riding only Amfleet coaches and the occasional Acela, eating only the NE ®egional menu, seeing the same scenery every single day, and never really getting that "chillout" feeling train travel provides since, as scheduled, I'd never be on the train more than an hour!

To me, one of the most interesting things in train travel is to go somewhere you've never been along a route you've never travelled, making acquaintances with people you've never met, riding a variety of stock in the process, and getting the chance to experience all the various ways the same railroad offers service, from Coach Class in a Horizon coach to First Class in the Acela, to a full-bedroom in a Viewliner, and eating everything from the microwaved hot dog to the Flat Iron Steak.

Even neater can be rolling up a line you've previously ridden in an entirely different season - taking the Capitol Limited for example in the height of summer, and then returning in the dead of winter.

A couple of years ago, I did try to compute my mileage on Amtrak. However, in trying to recall every trip I'd taken in 35+ years, some things became apparent.

I couldn't remember anything about my 1973 trip aboard the Montrealer at age 2, so should it count?

I could not determine how many times I'd been to either New York, Philadelphia, or Richmond as a teen/college student over the present day Regional line, as these had semi-fused together.

Other distant memories were far more vivid: my one and only ride along the Hudson on an Albany-NY train, somehow riding the Crescent as a child between Baltimore and New York, a very nice seatmate on the ride from New York who gave me Korean coins and explained the monetary system there.

It was then that I began to realize that as a hobby, the experiences I'd encountered on Amtrak were far more rewarding than any simple mileage number would ever indicate.

I won't tell you that my car now has over 168,000 miles on it - because that is just necessary transportation (going to work, going shopping, going to the train station :eek: , etc...). It is not just because I like to drive or because I like cars! :rolleyes:

I suppose those Toyota commercials that mention the people's car has 178,000 or 265,000 or 350,000 miles should be banned too! And certainly the one for the truck (Chevy IIRC) that has over 2,000,000 miles! :rolleyes:

To each their own, I always say.
My interest would not be in tabulating mileage but in riding as many segments of the national system as I could. I could in theory ride the appx. 50 miles from here to DC and back every workday for a year on Amtrak and wind up with 26,000 "Amtrak miles" a year which sounds impressive. Of course, in those 26,000 miles, the experience would be greatly limited - seeing only 4 stations (BAL-BWI-NCR-WAS), riding only Amfleet coaches and the occasional Acela, eating only the NE ®egional menu, seeing the same scenery every single day, and never really getting that "chillout" feeling train travel provides since, as scheduled, I'd never be on the train more than an hour!

To me, one of the most interesting things in train travel is to go somewhere you've never been along a route you've never travelled, making acquaintances with people you've never met, riding a variety of stock in the process, and getting the chance to experience all the various ways the same railroad offers service, from Coach Class in a Horizon coach to First Class in the Acela, to a full-bedroom in a Viewliner, and eating everything from the microwaved hot dog to the Flat Iron Steak.

Even neater can be rolling up a line you've previously ridden in an entirely different season - taking the Capitol Limited for example in the height of summer, and then returning in the dead of winter.

A couple of years ago, I did try to compute my mileage on Amtrak. However, in trying to recall every trip I'd taken in 35+ years, some things became apparent.

I couldn't remember anything about my 1973 trip aboard the Montrealer at age 2, so should it count?

I could not determine how many times I'd been to either New York, Philadelphia, or Richmond as a teen/college student over the present day Regional line, as these had semi-fused together.

Other distant memories were far more vivid: my one and only ride along the Hudson on an Albany-NY train, somehow riding the Crescent as a child between Baltimore and New York, a very nice seatmate on the ride from New York who gave me Korean coins and explained the monetary system there.

It was then that I began to realize that as a hobby, the experiences I'd encountered on Amtrak were far more rewarding than any simple mileage number would ever indicate.
An excellent post, and very close to how I feel. Accumulating and tabulating numerical miles seems fairly empty to me ... but yeah, to each his own.

I enjoy riding trains because they're such a fine way to experience new geography and new landscapes, and to watch how those landscapes evolve over the seasons and over the years. I rode over Donner one January, for example, and then repeated the trip in June, and the difference in visual experience was fascinating. And my Amtrak goal is simply to experience as much of its geography as possible ... I'm getting pretty close to covering the long-haul network. A round-trip to Florida and another on the Eagle, and I'll be almost there.

And I'm becoming more and more interested in riding trains overseas ... for the natural and cultural landscapes, and for the fact that it allows me to escape Amtrak's relatively generic consists. I've ridden long-distance trains on five continents, now, and they've been some of the greatest experiences of my life.

I have 13,333 miles under my belt since March 2006. Pretty much all long distance. I will take the train now instead of flying "if" or "when" I can. Just this summer I branched out on to other trains other than the CZ. I have now been on the CZ, SWC, LSL, Carolinian, Acela and the CL. So it was nice to be on some other trains other than the CZ.

Gee, I was just about to say that beginning next Thursday I'm going to be adding another 4,412 miles to my total. But I don't want you to think I'm a nerd.
I'll vouch for you, Betty, I know you're not a nerd!!! :)

I really don't know, but my guess would be more than 10,000 miles but fewer than 20,000.

I STARTED THIS LITTLE BENIGN TOPIC SIMPLY OUT OF COURIOUSITY AND TO HAVE SOME HARMLESS FUN!

I NEVER INTENDED FOR IT TO INCLUDE COMMUTER RIDING, I NEVER INTENDED IT TO INCLUDE PRE-AMTRAK TRAVEL, I NEVER INTENDED IT TO INCLUDE FOREIGN TRAVEL, I NEVER INTEND IT FOR PEOPLE THAT DON'T CARE TO KNOW HOW MANY MILES THEY TRAVELED AND I CERTAINLY DIDN'T INTENDED IT FOR PEOPLE TO SPOIL THE ENJOYMENT OF OTHERS! I SIMPLY INTENDED IT FOR THOSE WHO CARED TO SHARE THEIR AMTRAK MILAGE.

IF YOU DON'T CARE FOR THE TOPIC, SIMPLY DON'T READ IT, BUT BY ALL MEANS DON'T BE NASTY AND BASH OTHERS WHO DO! :angry2:

Gee, I was just about to say that beginning next Thursday I'm going to be adding another 4,412 miles to my total. But I don't want you to think I'm a nerd.
I'll vouch for you, Betty, I know you're not a nerd!!! :)
Thanks, Tom. Actually, I wouldn't mind being a nerd. I generally think of nerds as people who are very intelligent, wise, cultured, brilliant and personable.

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Wish I was one. A nerd with 100,000 Amtrak miles!

An excellent post, and very close to how I feel. Accumulating and tabulating numerical miles seems fairly empty to me ... but yeah, to each his own.
Very empty. It reminds me of roller coaster nuts who keep track of how many they've ridden. It's like some kind of mental illness. Instead of posting numbers that have no meaning it would be more interesting to discuss the experience of taking the train, what you expect from a national passenger rail system, and how it benefits you. I'm not sure why someone would desire having 10,000 miles. What is 10,000 miles? What did it mean to you? What did you get out of it?

When GrandLuxe Rail Journeys announced they would be going out of business I didn't really care. That there isn't a market for frivolous "luxury" trains was good to hear.

The allure of rail travel to me isn't seeing how many miles I can rack up, how many trains I can spot, how many segments I can ride on, but this sense that rail, Amtrak or otherwise, is helping people to get somewhere, to see family or friends, to get to a job, to somehow better themselves. This rings true from Amtrak serving rural areas to an inner-city metro line helping some poor kid get to school every day, a trip that he would otherwise have to take two or three buses to make.

Most of the threads on this forum are interesting in that way. The topic on using Amtrak to help evacuate New Orleans is very interesting. I think rail deserves more from people than, "lol trains r kewl".

Very empty. It reminds me of roller coaster nuts who keep track of how many they've ridden. It's like some kind of mental illness. Instead of posting numbers that have no meaning it would be more interesting to discuss the experience of taking the train, what you expect from a national passenger rail system, and how it benefits you. I'm not sure why someone would desire having 10,000 miles. What is 10,000 miles? What did it mean to you? What did you get out of it?

When GrandLuxe Rail Journeys announced they would be going out of business I didn't really care. That there isn't a market for frivolous "luxury" trains was good to hear.

The allure of rail travel to me isn't seeing how many miles I can rack up, how many trains I can spot, how many segments I can ride on, but this sense that rail, Amtrak or otherwise, is helping people to get somewhere, to see family or friends, to get to a job, to somehow better themselves. This rings true from Amtrak serving rural areas to an inner-city metro line helping some poor kid get to school every day, a trip that he would otherwise have to take two or three buses to make.

Most of the threads on this forum are interesting in that way. The topic on using Amtrak to help evacuate New Orleans is very interesting. I think rail deserves more from people than, "lol trains r kewl".
Spokker, there is nothing in your discussion interests that I would disagree with, my only point is that the topics are not tailor made to just your interest. We are diversified people with diversified interests. With your interests already being (or having been) discussed in other topics and with there being a whole section (Travelogues /Trip Reports) dedicated to what you seem to indicate your interest is, why can't this forum be used by all it's participants and not just in what your interest limits are. Do we not have that right? Do we all not have a right to our opinions, or must all topics meet with your approval? You have plenty of area to enjoy yourself. Please don't impede on our right to enjoy ourselves too!

So.....guess we should rename our "Get Together" in LA to "Revenge of The Nerds Part II!" :lol: I just like knowing that I hae gone 13,333 and not had to drive one lick of it. (I drive for a living) Its nice that you can go that far and not have to be "in control" or "getting lost" or dealing with "road rage". :)

As I told a friend once, for just about every tangible thing in the world (and many non-tangible things), there is someone whose hobby is the enjoyment of it. No one need enjoy every hobby, but neither should anyone be required to stand silent while his hobby, whatever it may be, is attacked.

People who collect coins, as I do, are called numismatists.

People who enjoy trains, whether riding them, or watching them pass by, or photographing them, etc., as I and many others here do, are called railfans, or, if we're to believe someone's vitriolic ad-hominems, 'rail nerds' or the 'mental[lly] ill[]'.

...and so on.

And indeed, people who intrude on other people's fun or hobbies with no other reason than to ruin that fun or criticize those hobbies, as someone does, are called bullies.

As if I need to defend myself against someone, I ride Amtrak every weekday to get from point A to point B (well, point B to point A, having ridden Metrolink to get from point A to point B ) as part of my commute, and therefore belong to the only class of people entitled to ride Amtrak, in someone's opinion (best summarized 'you may ride Amtrak only if you need to, not if you want to'). But I also frequently ride it on the weekends for recreation, and indeed have written several trip reports about it. If, along the way, I record that I have therefore ridden just over 5000 miles on Amtrak, and can share that with others interested, I shall. If people like someone, not interested, are exposed to that information because I force myself on them, I am wrong. If they are exposed to it because they force themselves on us, then they are wrong, and I'm afraid that's just tough.

Sorry to everyone, but when people are called mentally-ill nerds only because of their hobbies, I react.

Now the good news for sky12065: AU has a 'stepsister' site (they're not officially associated in any way, but share administrators and many many members), with a set of fora like these. One of those fora has precisely the kind of information you seek. Admins, can I edit this post to include a link thereto?

Chris

Back