Miles Traveled on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've driven 75 miles-one way-just to videotape trains at a crossing.
So much for the superior fuel efficiency of rail transport. All the gains made by trains were unfortunately nullified by 'spergin out nerds chasing them.
The great thing about people embracing their nerdom when you tease them is that they reveal more and more stuff for you to laugh at. Please post your diary of all your railfan activities. It would prove most entertaining. And perhaps you will find out the things about me that can be ridiculed. Such is the circle of life.

Unlike you, I don't see the point of ridiculing what others do.

As long as it hurts no one why is Mr Grumpy Pants getting so worked up over people recording miles travelled? It is fairly pointless, as is fishing , watching a selection of overpaid idiots chase after your ball of choice or wandering around a field dressed in silly clothing hitting a small ball into a hole in the grass.
For all that I don't care for watching highly paid people chase a ball across a field, I think it is inaccurate to call everyone who does that an idiot.
Indeed. Careful, that borders on SpokkerSpeak. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it to late to change the title of this topic to " How far can you take a topic ? " :rolleyes: :) :)
I have been a member of another non-Amtrak forum for several years now where posters take their interests as seriously as people on this forum do, and there is one current topic that has 221 posts and 5995 views. There is another current topic that has 825 posts and 85,631 views in about one week, but that one is on a special event that only occurs once a year. Would you like to break that record? :huh:

What we need to concentrate on is members on line at the same time.

Here is a snapshot of another forum I read. Just a few minutes ago here were the stats:

forumstats.jpg

I would never ever count miles on Amtrak. It's national public infrastructure used to get people where they need to go, not a subsidized hobby for rail nerds. Counting miles is lame.
Gee, I was just about to say that beginning next Thursday I'm going to be adding another 4,412 miles to my total. But I don't want you to think I'm a nerd.
I'll vouch for you, Betty, I know you're not a nerd!!! :)
Thanks, Tom. Actually, I wouldn't mind being a nerd. I generally think of nerds as people who are very intelligent, wise, cultured, brilliant and personable.

Nothing wrong with being a nerd. Wish I was one. A nerd with 100,000 Amtrak miles!
let's not forget that nerds make the most money because they are smarter and highly sought after. :)

I couldn't find a more recent topic on this but wanted to have a fun conversation on where people are at with their Amtrak mileage!

I've been riding Amtrak for over thirty years and with the exceptions of 1993,1994,2009 2010,2011 and 2013 to the best of my memory I've taken one or two circle trips every year. Many many thousands of miles. I used to keep track with a printed timetable. One coming up in May Harrisburg-Boston,Boston-LA,LA to Portland,flying to BWI,then BWI to Harrisburg. Couldn't afford the EB this time around. I'll be on the last Eagle/Sunset with flex dining and one of the first Coast Starlights with traditional dining. That will be most welcome.

Since 2012 when I started keeping track, I have traveled 118,839 miles. While I traveled some before then on Amtrak, it likely amounts to less than 5,000 miles. My travel has picked up a lot since March 2017, as that was soon after my 16th birthday so I was able to travel on Amtrak alone at that point and have done all of my domestic travel by train since then. Since that point, I have traveled 99,949 miles on Amtrak.

I haven't done a direct calculation, and I don't know if I could do an accurate direct one. However, I have travelled roughly 20,000 miles on Amtrak. Soon to be 25,000.

About 51,000 long distance miles; 7,600 miles on regional trains.
Most of the travel in the past 15 years. Our first trip in 1974: Santa Barbara to Oakland (our honeymoon in San Francisco).
Does my daily commute on Southern California's Metrolink for six years count? About 80,000 miles
TRACKS Rail Trips 2020 Open Street Map.jpg
Next trip this coming summer will add about 5,200 LD miles.

I don't know my mileage on Amtrak surprisingly. But I do keep a map of all of the rail lines I have ridden on.
Same here...I have not kept track of my mileage, but I have ridden over every single regular route that Amtrak has ever operated in its history except for one...
the short lived "Lake Country Limited" which ran from 2000 until 2001 from Chicago to Janesville, WI. And I keep kicking myself for that 80 mile missing bit...🤣
http://www.timetables.org/browse/?group=20001029n&item=0044

Same here...I have not kept track of my mileage, but I have ridden over every single regular route that Amtrak has ever operated in its history except for one...
the short lived "Lake Country Limited" which ran from 2000 until 2001 from Chicago to Janesville, WI. And I keep kicking myself for that 80 mile missing bit...🤣
It you ride the Metra Milwaukee District North Line to Fox Lake you're only missing 49 miles.

I'm personally working on riding all of the existing Amtrak route miles. Right now I'm at 92.85% by my calculations. Once I do the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to San Antonio in August, I'll essentially have completed the LD system (the exceptions being the Auto Train terminals and the east leg of the Auburndale wye used by the Silver Meteor). After that I mostly just have some of the east coast corridor trains (Virginia NER branches, Adirondack/Ethan Allen north of Schenectady, and Maple Leaf west of Buffalo).

It you ride the Metra Milwaukee District North Line to Fox Lake you're only missing 49 miles.

I'm personally working on riding all of the existing Amtrak route miles. Right now I'm at 92.85% by my calculations. Once I do the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to San Antonio in August, I'll essentially have completed the LD system (the exceptions being the Auto Train terminals and the east leg of the Auburndale wye used by the Silver Meteor). After that I mostly just have some of the east coast corridor trains (Virginia NER branches, Adirondack/Ethan Allen north of Schenectady, and Maple Leaf west of Buffalo).
I'm just trying to ride all the western LD trains

I actually have that route but not on Amtrak. I worked the NKP 765 Excursion to there in 2016. I was one of five people allowed off the train there. We weren't doing a layover so we were loading box lunches. That was a doozy trying to sort out the cars box lunches in the rain on the ground as the train slowly moved along the wye.

Back