Milwaukee to Anaheim, swc questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Brand new to train travel but I've been going through the site and looking up videos and blog posts to prepare. That being said, I still have a few questions.

My husband and I are traveling from Milwaukee to Anaheim in August via swc, then flying home at the end of our trip. We booked business class tickets, though I know the swc only has coach seating.

1. How much space is there, realistically, at our seats? I've seen suggestions to bring food instead spending too much on the train. Is there room to keep food at our seats?
2. Amtrak's website mentioned curtains around the seats. How do those work? I couldn't find any example pictures, just trying to get an idea of how much privacy there is.
3. Timing of everything. I've seen a theme in posts of trains being late, which is why we're flying home. As far as train changes go, I'm assuming Amtrak plans in enough time? Our layover in Chicago is 1.5 hours, then a 2 hour layover in LA. What happens if the train is late enough we can't make the connection?
4. Sleeping in coach. How impossible is it to sleep in coach? All the reviews I've found have been about the roommette or bedroom, which isn't very helpful. I know it won't be super spacious, just looking for an honest opinion.
Thanks everyone, I'm really looking forward to this.

I'm sure there'll be lots of suggestions. Here are mine.
  1. There is lots of room, unless you bring one of those big coolers.
  2. There are window curtains on the Superliner coaches used on the CHI>LAX segment.
  3. Nothing is perfect, but the Milwaukee>Chicago trains have a good on-time performance record. If your connection in Los Angeles is missed, Amtrak will put you on the next train. As a Business Class passenger you should be able to access the lounge (with snacks, coffee, etc.) for the wait. (Rules vary for the lounges. Ask.)
  4. Experiences sleeping in coaches vary wildly. The only way to find out is to try it. I wear a hat with brim pulled down to block glare from exit lights. Some people bring blindfolds, sleep masks, earphones, earmuffs (on northern lines), etc. Some bring a light blanket. I usually bring a jacket in summer or a raincoat or overcoat in winter and use that as a blanket. On a two-night trip, you'll usually sleep better the second night.
Enjoy the human interest in coach and the fact that you can make two or three trips for the price of a sleeper. I actually sleep better in a Superliner seat than in a Superliner roomette.

We booked business class tickets, though I know the swc only has coach seating.

If you are referring to the Southwest Chief, I am confused. The Southwest Chief has sleeper cars including roomettes, bedrooms and family rooms. In my opinion, traveling in a sleeper is much more comfortable than traveling in coach. I do not believe that the Southwest Chief has business class.

There is pretty much no privacy in coach. The curtains to which you are referring may be on the windows, not around the seats. On trains with business class cars that are half cafe cars/half business cars, often there are curtains separating the cafe section and seating section.

Many members on this forum sleep fine in coach, although I am not one of them.

Enjoy your trip.

Have a nice trip. Plenty of room in Coach. you will be able to strecth out your legs no problem and the overhead racks fit normal full size suitcases. On the SWC you can also go to the lounge car whenever you want and hang out at tables and chairs in there. As far as missed connections on your particular trip you shouldn't have to worry unless something very unusual happens although that is more of a concern on some other journeys. The trip from Milwaukee to Chicago is short and you have plenty of buffer. But since there are multiple trains on that line you could take an earlier Hiawatha Milwaukee-Chicago train if you want more time in Chicago too Likewise in California Anaheim is a stop on the main Los Angeles-San Diego route called the Pacific Surfliner. There are trains every hour or two every day of the week. If you miss one, you can take the next one. You could actually get off one stop earlier than L.A. in Fullerton CA and catch an earlier train to Anaheim if you like most likely without changing your ticket in but the station in L.A. is pretty cool and has more services if you need them. Also as far as business class, most likely you probably just have it on the last short segment from L.A. to Anaheim since as far as I am aware that is the only train on your trip that offers it. However if you booked it as one trip it might look like you have it the whole trip. But coach is fine. I have done many cross -country trips like that and especially since you are traveling with your spouse you should be able to sleep some. But like a previous poster said, you will probably be tired after the first night but then sleep better the second once your body gets used to it. Like the SWC a lot,it is the only time I have actually seen a mountain lion in the wild from the window of a train in New Mexico.

As has been pointed out, getting off the SWC in Fullerton saves you the hassle and time of going into LA and waiting for another train. The pleasant Fullerton station is almost as close to points in Anaheim as the Anaheim station, which is in the parking lot of the baseball stadium essentially.

Another vote for Fullerton, unless you just really want to see LA Union Station and its environs (it is kind of pretty...). Please, though, do yourself a favor and see if the sleeper cost ever drops into your price range; it can fluctuate quite a bit based on anticipated demand. For a two-night trip from Chicago (Milwaukee) to Fullerton or L. A. the increased cost of a sleeper is most definitely worth it, in my opinion. Keep in mind that the sleeper upcharge is per room, not "per person"...and the two of you can share one roomette. It will be tight, but do-able. As a plus, your dining car meals are all included...and, west of Chicago, those meals are still worth having!

Since you are traveling in August, I feel I would be remiss if I didn't tell you that the air conditioning on the SWC is up pretty high when traveling through the southwest in the summer. When the sun goes down, it gets too cold for me as the AC is still running quite enthusiastically, so definitely bring a blanket or something warm to cover up with for the night if you're in coach. I didn't notice any problems when I was in a roomette, so the Amtrak bedding was sufficient for me at night and the temperature during the day also seemed fine to me. That solar gain is very striking.

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better about this.
To answer some questions-
I don't think we'll ever find a roommette cheap enough to compare, I got the tickets during the Valentine's sale for bogo. We're trying to save money, and the price of a sleeper would make flying cheaper.
I just went with the schedule provided by Amtrak. It was all booked as one trip, so that's what I meant by business class tickets.
I've taken the Hiawatha once before, so I know that's pretty much on time. I'll admit though, I wasn't paying much attention. We left the house at 5, and didn't leave Chicago until the last train at around 11. I was too tired to really look around the train much.
I'll look at the Fullerton option, though I'm not sure if that would up the pricing because of the sale we used.

I'm sure there'll be lots of suggestions. Here are mine.
  1. There is lots of room, unless you bring one of those big coolers.
  2. There are window curtains on the Superliner coaches used on the CHI>LAX segment.
  3. Nothing is perfect, but the Milwaukee>Chicago trains have a good on-time performance record. If your connection in Los Angeles is missed, Amtrak will put you on the next train. As a Business Class passenger you should be able to access the lounge (with snacks, coffee, etc.) for the wait. (Rules vary for the lounges. Ask.)
  4. Experiences sleeping in coaches vary wildly. The only way to find out is to try it. I wear a hat with brim pulled down to block glare from exit lights. Some people bring blindfolds, sleep masks, earphones, earmuffs (on northern lines), etc. Some bring a light blanket. I usually bring a jacket in summer or a raincoat or overcoat in winter and use that as a blanket. On a two-night trip, you'll usually sleep better the second night.
Enjoy the human interest in coach and the fact that you can make two or three trips for the price of a sleeper. I actually sleep better in a Superliner seat than in a Superliner roomette.
Yes, the Metropolitan Lounge in LA is available to Business Class passengers. If the outbound Pacific Surfliner ticket is BC, you will be able to use the lounge.

The Pacific Surfliner has a train between LA Union and Anaheim (and San Diego) about every hour or so. There are plenty of trains in case the Southwest Chief is late. If it is late, Amtrak will just instruct you to get off in Fullerton anyway. They won't have you change tickets. It sounds like you have business class tickets on the Pacific Surfliner? This does get you access to the Metropolitan Lounge in Los Angeles if you so choose. If you want to save time though, you can still hop off in Fullerton and catch a Surfliner there. It's only about a 20 minute ride down to Anaheim from Fullerton. Coach on the Surfliner is unreserved so you can take any train you wish in coach. Business class, though, is reserved for the particular train you booked. That said, if you do decide to connect in Fullerton don't bother changing your tickets. Just ask the ticket agent in Fullerton if you want to, or just get on the earlier train. I don't see a conductor really caring that much for such a quick trip. Just tell them you got off the SWC and wanted to change earlier. Now if the SWC is late, Amtrak will have you do this anyway. Personally, I don't think business class is worth it on the Surfliners. The seats aren't that more spacious, and a free bottle of wine isn't all that either for a short trip.

One caveat about "just hopping off" in Fullerton...if you have checked baggage, it will follow your ticketed itinerary. It will get to Anaheim, but after you will.

Now, if you KNOW you're getting off in Fullerton before you board, you can just ask the station agent in Milwaukee to check your bags through to Fullerton because you plan to hop off early there. You can change your ticket if you wish, but if there's a price change or if it's just too much of a hassle nobody will care if you get off the train early. Please do let your Conductor or coach attendant know, however, so that the manifest can be correct in the unlikely event of an accident or similar between Fullerton and L. A.

Note for those who may wish to do likewise: If you have a round-trip ticket booked as a single reservation (why?), then no-showing for your train from L.A. to Anaheim would cancel your return trip reservation. But since you're flying home, no biggie.

I think if you decide to make any changes (like get off the SWC in Fullerton), tell Amtrak you want to MODIFY your reservation, not change it. Often, there is no charge for modifying an existing reservation, but there is an appreciable charge for CHANGING a reservation. If you change, they will cancel your reservation and book a new one at the current price and often with a hefty change fee.
If I'm wrong about the jargon, someone please correct me, but I've seen this mentioned many times and am surprised none of the veterans of this site has mentioned it so far.

Back