Minot, ND

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbert617

OBS Chief
Probably a shot in the dark that we'll get lucky, and that anyone posts with a lot of insider info they personally know about Minot. Beyond what I've looked up of this town, as of this year myself outta curiosity.

To me it seems like the more I research Minot, the more that one day perhaps I'd consider a trip here. It does have a beer brewery which to me is always cool to discover(Souris River Brewing), a free art museum(Taube Museum of Art), the downtown looks very nice and has a lot of historic buildings and nice stores, plus the Scandinavian Heritage Museum looks like it may be worth a visit as well. Due to the fact it has a stave church replica(common in Norway), on that site. NOTE that this museum is only open from about mid-May to September(per their website and online reviews), if you do a trip to Minot. And of course(though I won't be visiting that), there is an air force base just north of this town. Which probably is one of the few things many can think of(heck might be the only thing some can think of), when it comes to any well known things in Minot.

Anyway, thought I'd post this thread to see if anyone knows anything about Minot. Like insider info/tips if say they'd ever gone there, or knew of any others who had made past trips here and knew a few things about Minot, thanks to a conversation with said friend/family who talked about once going to Minot.

Last edited:
ND State Fair is in Minot, if you're into that kind of thing. This year it's July 19-27. I grew up in Bismarck, but didn't get to Minot too often.

Did not know, that was the site of North Dakota's state fair. Now yes, this is why I started this thread! So that I could learn new things about Minot, myself. In case say someday down the road, I chose to do a trip here to check out this town. It's odd I knew there was an air force base there(albeit a little north of town) and a college(Minot State), but that I wasn't aware the state fair was there.

If I recall correctly, they have a good comedy club which draws worthy names to entertain.

Didn't realize Minot had any comedy clubs, but that's cool to learn they do have one. Wonder if it's because of the Air Force base just north of town, that someone decided to open one there?

Also, I see the Norsk Hostfest, which is a Scandanavian heritage festival, is held in Minot each year besides the ND State Fair. Which makes sense, since the Scandanavian Heritage Park and Museum is also in town. And that the Hostfest, is held on that museum's grounds.

Friend of mine from grad school is from Minot. Very folksy guy. Turned out all right.

That's cool. It's funny too that when I found a copy of the North Dakota state tourism guide inside Minot's station, that I learned that actor Josh Duhamel(from the Transformers movies) was born in Minot, ND. And for whatever reason, it mentioned that he went to North Dakota State University, in Fargo.

Minot is one place I'd like to spend a day in on the #7 route. Been through there many many times on the EB.
The general impression I have, is that Minot is culturally advanced with good schools, libraries, a museum or 2, a festival or 2, yeah, comedy -- way out in the cold cold north on the Hi-Line

If you want to know the real Minot, my parents (and a classmate that became an Air Force Officer) told me the Air Force Base (unofficial) motto is "Why not Minot? The reason? It's Freezin!" 'Cause in winter, the cold air from Yukon combines with the winds off the Rockies, and , as another oldtime sometime contributor here has said -- " There ain't nothin between here and the North Pole but one barb wire fence -- and that blows down by Christmas" or something like that.
I've never spent a day in Minot. It's on my bucket list. A recent contributor here, handle ispolkom, posted useful info until the last year or two, search the archives.
My dad got his teaching certificate at what was back then (1940 or so) called Minot State Teachers College (Now North Dakota State University)

Last edited:
My brother was stationed in Minot with the Air Force during the Vietnam War. He liked to tell a story about seeing something that appeared to be a UFO while he was stationed there. He told a couple of people about it and ended up being transferred to Thailand shortly after. He swore for the rest of his life that it was a government conspiracy to get him out of Minot because he saw something he shouldn't have. I THINK he was joking...

My brother was stationed in Minot with the Air Force during the Vietnam War. He liked to tell a story about seeing something that appeared to be a UFO while he was stationed there. He told a couple of people about it and ended up being transferred to Thailand shortly after. He swore for the rest of his life that it was a government conspiracy to get him out of Minot because he saw something he shouldn't have. I THINK he was joking...
Lots of similar incidents are reported by Ex-Military,Leo's etc.

A couple of my faves on TV are on the History Channel, Ancoent Aliens and UFO Diaries.

Back