Miscellaneous Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a good site.

Meanwhile I already have on order a Diamond RH77CA antennae

as recommended on a scanner forum, got good reviews all around, but they weren't particularly rail fans.

I think it should pull in the right frequencies though.

I just got a Uniden BC95XLT scanner the other day, I'll be sure to have it scanning the FD frequencies on the 4th!

I'll be using it on my x-country trip EMY-NHV this fall.

Dennis

That's a good site.

as recommended on a scanner forum, got good reviews all around, but they weren't particularly rail fans.

I just got a Uniden BC95XLT scanner the other day, I'll be sure to have it scanning the FD frequencies on the 4th!

Dennis
I discovered the Diamond RH77CA about 5 years ago. I was at Horsehoe Curve with my Radio Shack Pro-89 with the stock rubber duckie and realized I wasn't getting transmissions from Slope and Alto like a guy near me, so I asked about it and he had the RH77CA. I ordered it when I got home and it has done great...though I lost the antenna tip while chasing Montana Rail Link over Bozeman Pass a couple of years ago. That reminds me that I need to find something to stick on the end there before my next trip so that I won't stab someone with it. :eek:

That's a good site.

Dennis
I discovered the Diamond RH77CA about 5 years ago. I was at Horsehoe Curve with my Radio Shack Pro-89 with the stock rubber duckie and realized I wasn't getting transmissions from Slope and Alto like a guy near me, so I asked about it and he had the RH77CA. I ordered it when I got home and it has done great...though I lost the antenna tip while chasing Montana Rail Link over Bozeman Pass a couple of years ago. That reminds me that I need to find something to stick on the end there before my next trip so that I won't stab someone with it. :eek:
Aha, that's good to know it actually works. I was just admonished on another scanner forum for buying it as as waste of money. :)

Oh, I thought it would be a passenger's scanner located on-board the train. That should be close enough to receive all the radio transmissions for the train they are traveling on-board. No?
Cascadia was talking about a guy with a scanner waiting at a station for the train to arrive. That's what I was referring to.

Yes, someone on a train should pick up all communications from that train.

4. On #3, we had a freight unit put on the front (SD70MAC 9515). Can any Amtrak engineer jump into a freight unit and drive? Or do they have to be checked out on each piece of equipment?
I asked this question on another board where I believe several engineers frequent. I got a couple of responses that said the engineers need only be qualified for the territory and there is no qualification for the loco. Amtrak engineers can drive the freight locos by themselves. At least that was what was said over at http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.p...=552089#p552089

Just a little update on the BC95XLT scanner with the Diamond RH77CA antennae I ordered; pulls in about 1 1/2 the number of signals better than the stock antennae. Haven't used it on Amtrak yet, but I'm betting it's a keeper.

Dennis

The "no headphones" is OSHA. You need to hear BOTH the radio and working conditions at all times. I complained once about the noise (nearly-deaf crew member and late night), suggesting headphones, on the Desert Wind, and was shown the rule. it makes sense, actually.

The "no headphones" is OSHA. You need to hear BOTH the radio and working conditions at all times. I complained once about the noise (nearly-deaf crew member and late night), suggesting headphones, on the Desert Wind, and was shown the rule. it makes sense, actually.
Now if only we could get auto drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to follow the railroads' lead on this one....

If it's an OSHA rule, then why doesn't it also apply to airplane pilots?

Now if only we could get auto drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians to follow the railroads' lead on this one....
I thought auto drivers were generally legally required to not use headphones, though that may be a state law that may not exist everywhere.
I think a single headphone would be ok. Here in California July 1 was the start of "hands free" cell phone use while driving (I don't own one). Yesterday I stopped by a Radio Shack to pick up a single earphone for my scanner and all single earphones had been sold out for days.

Dennis

I thought auto drivers were generally legally required to not use headphones, though that may be a state law that may not exist everywhere.
I think auto driver have to use headphones for a hands-free cell phone - but one ear must be uncovered (or they must use a speakerphone). I wonder why that type of headphone could not be used by railroads? :huh: It would allow the crew to hear the radio transmission, to also hear the other outside noise - and not bother the passengers while walking thru the car at 3 AM!

4. On #3, we had a freight unit put on the front (SD70MAC 9515). Can any Amtrak engineer jump into a freight unit and drive? Or do they have to be checked out on each piece of equipment?
Just an update on this question, I asked this on another board where some engineers hang out, this was a response I got...

Sure, we run freight units as needed when we lose P42 power over the road. No need for a freight engineer to be in the cab with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back