Missing - Amtrak Route Guides

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if anyone knew what happened to the Amtrak Route Guides?

A friend of mine who was preparing for his first train ride, contacted me that the Route Guides were not accessible on the Amtrak site. I have many of these saved on my hard drive, but checked the Amtrak site. Using this link https://www.amtrak.com/route-guides all the links to the individual Guides are displayed, but true, each displays:

The page you were looking for could not be displayed for some reason:

The page could be temporarily unavailable, so you might try again later.
The page has been moved, renamed, deleted or never existed.

Website links are screwed up, the guides are still available if you access them from the train page, but not from the route guide page.
This. I sadly noticed this issue, the last time I tried looking up those route guides.

Which Amtrak route guide(s) are you trying to find? I could probably find the current URL link for you, as hidden as it might be. Or worse comes to worst, on Web Archive.

Terminology is important here. There appears to be both Route Guides and Route Journey Guides. Whooda thunk it?

• The things Amtrak call Route Guides contain very little information about the route and are available now. Each is less than one page long.

• The Route Journey Guides, which used to be found here... https://www.amtrak.com/route-guides ..., are currently unavailable and are the rather lengthy ones that have details of many notable places along the route.

Perhaps the Route Journey Guides are not currently available because they're being updated? Eliminated?

Last edited by a moderator:
This link worked for me. And, they are updated and different, at least for the Empire Builder (the only one that I checked) from the Route Guide for the EB that I had in my archives that were provided in Sleeping Car accommodations once upon a time. I wish I had the "new edition" for my recently completed trip on the EB.
The link works great. I will pass it along, he will be very happy. Thanks for the help.

Just found a source for the Amtrak Route Guides which have been MIA from Amtrak's website for some time now...
http://testsite.itworksdc.com/amtrakconnect-acela/route-guides.php
I took a peek and one of the first things I happened upon in the guide is inaccurate. It talks about the Kneeling Nun mountain being visible and near to the SWC route in New Mexico. It's actually pretty far away from the route. It's in southwestern NM. Maybe it's visible from the Sunset Limited, but definitely not the Southwest Chief.

Thanks for the link, FrensicPic. I hope it stays active, as that is the guide I remember. On a recent trip our SCA had laminated the original guide and made it available to any passenger to review. Sad that Amtrak can’t at least give this link to passengers, maybe as part of their reservation or on a welcome letter to passengers. Fortunately we have good detectives on this forum.

Here is the one our SCA had

upload_2019-10-4_8-46-32.jpeg

Back