Mobility Scooter on Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By law they have to be accomidated under the ADA as long the chair and passenger wiegh less than 600 pounds (mobile lift capacity) and fits through the doors, can make the corner of vestuble and reach the securement area. Some trains might be able to accomidate a heavier scooter dependening upon the individual equipment of particular rollingstock (I run a bus system and when we replaced our high-floor buses with lifts with low-floor buses with ramps that could accomidate 1,200 pounds we had to start allowing wheeled mobilty devices of that weight per the ADA on those buses at least during the transition).

Here's the maximum width list by route, I don't know why the Auto Train can accomidate 30 inches but the rest of the Superliner routes are 28.5 inches, they use the same Superliner cars.

Anyone know if the ramps on the Superliners are raited for a greater weight than 600 pounds, I feel like they might be?

I would recommend booking you're trip as wanting to trasfer to a seat (if disability allows it) scooters aren't that easy to secure to to the floor compared to a regular wheelchair and it will probably be a lot more comfortable.

Anyone with experience bringing mobility scooter on Amtrak?
Yes, I've been on sleepers and Amfleet coach (Silver Service). I have a 3-wheel travel size scooter, Pride Go Go Elite Traveler.

At low-level platforms, you'll be cranked up on a manually operated portable lift. You can drive onto and off of the lift and remain seated; but it can be difficult to maneuver around the corner into the car. I found it easier to get off, release the brake, and roll it in (but I've had a lot of experience rolling scooters, having been a Disney bus driver :)).

On sleepers, you'll want to reserve the accessible bedroom, which is right next to the entrance on Viewliners, and straight down the hall on the lower level of Superliners, so there are no additional turns to make once you make it into the car. There is room for the scooter, but you may have to move it around to get around the room.

On coaches, my scooter is not stable enough to ride on a moving vehicle, so I need to transfer to a seat. By default, Amtrak expects you to stay on it. So if you want to transfer, you need to call and reserve both the wheelchair space and the companion seat. You cannot do this on the website or app. They told me it's better to call in the first place rather than make an online reservation and then try to modify it. There was no additional charge for the companion seat.

Just a note: on both coach trips, I was riding backwards in the companion seat. This might vary depending on how they assemble the train.

I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Last edited:
I only need the scooter after I get off train. So, wondering if it can be treated like baggage.

I only need the scooter after I get off train. So, wondering if it can be treated like baggage.
I think the official answer is "No", because even the smallest scooters weigh around 90 lbs. including the battery.

On one occasion, I managed to check my scooter from Chicago to SF, amid much confusion. The clerk at the baggage check, who was filling in for the regular person, didn't know how it could be done, so he called up a baggage handler. The baggage person said, "Sure, come with me downstairs (into the basement) and we'll palletize it," meaning they put it onto a wooden pallet, wrapped it in plastic, and loaded it onto the train with a forklift. When we arrived at the SF station at Emeryville, the conductor said, "That's all well and good, but they forgot we don't have pallet facilities here." The poor guy carried it from the baggage car at the end of the train all the way to the front of the train. I felt terrible.

On another occasion, my train from Washington DC to Florida was cancelled because of an approaching snowstorm. The next day's train had roomettes available, but all the accessible bedrooms were taken. I tried and tried to get Amtrak's phone rep to put me in a roomette and check the scooter, but she wouldn't budge. I had to fly home instead.

We took my mother's scooter in Superliners numerous times both coach and in ADA sleeper. Her scooter was one of those 4-wheel outdoor models with large turning radius. She used a walker to transfer. In the sleeper, I had to lift the front end of the scooter around the corner to get down the hall because it couldn't make the turn even with a lot of backing and filling. Same parking it out of the way in the sleeper compartment. Smaller scooters and 3-wheelers are easier. The large scooter fit on all lifts but the hand-cranked ones also needed some fancy maneuvering because you have to make a 90 degree turn while on the lift.

Viewliners have a different issue that I ran into with a very maneuverable manual chair. In the ADA sleeper, two doors (the entry door and the bathroom door) both open into the compartment, so you have to keep moving the scooter/chair back and forth depending on what you want to open. I am not sure my mother's scooter was short enough to clear either door. For me, I thought about just leaving the bathroom door open but that blocks the window.

Special Items in Baggage | Amtrak

There is an exception for batteries when used in a mobility device/electric wheelchair.....
Special Items in Baggage | Amtrak
Note that under Medical Devices this page says "up to 50 lbs.", then further down it says "devices brought on board" limited to 600 lbs.; hence the confusion.

I assume "brought on board" means into a reserved accessible bedroom or coach wheelchair space.

As I mentioned earlier, every conventional scooter I know of is at least in the 80-90 lb. range. I think even the expensive super-lightweight foldable ones are right around 50 lbs.

• Items that are not required onboard may be checked if accompanied by a ticket issued at a mobility-impaired fare. For items over 50 lbs., call 1-800-USA-RAIL to make shipping arrangements.
They will do it, but to avoid situations like the one mentioned earlier, they need to know ahead of time....

• Items that are not required onboard may be checked if accompanied by a ticket issued at a mobility-impaired fare. For items over 50 lbs., call 1-800-USA-RAIL to make shipping arrangements.
They will do it, but to avoid situations like the one mentioned earlier, they need to know ahead of time....
I don't recall this being offered as an option when my WAS-ORL train was cancelled.

If it's still available, it may be limited to major hubs with extensive baggage handling facilities.

I believe that's talking about the Amtrak Express shipping service that people used instead of moving companies or UPS/FedEx. That has been suspended since October.

Back