Monsoon Rains/Flooding in Louisiana

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Due to 10-16 inches of Rain in Loyisiana, with more expected, Flooding is extensive and #59(11) is already shown as in Service Disruption.

This will probably result in ALL of the LD Trains that serve Louisiana being Cancelled or turned before reaching NOL. (#1/#2/#19/#20/59/#58).

Any AUers effected by this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only NO train disrupted is 59 and possibly 58 due to spillway overflowing tracks around Lake Pontchartrain. 1 & 2 and 19 & 20 do not travel this section of track and thus appear to continue to operate without disruption. It is possible CONO will be turned in Jackson, MS since there is no other place further south to turn. I had this experience this past January and was bused to Jackson from NOLA. When we boarded the train in Jackson only the engines had been turned so sleepers were at end of the consist followed by the transition crew car and baggage car at the very end. I don't know but that is possibly what will happen today.

Very heavy rain has fallen between LFT and NOL today, might affect the tracks 1/2 use.

According to Facebook Trending, Louisiana has declared a state of emergency. Expect SL, CONO, and Crescent to be canceled for its Louisiana portion, until floodwaters are abated and tracks themselves are restored.

According to Facebook Trending, Louisiana has declared a state of emergency. Expect SL, CONO, and Crescent to be canceled for its Louisiana portion, until floodwaters are abated and tracks themselves are restored.
Both the Sunset Limited and Crescent run on different tracks from the City of New Orleans which are "above" water so both are running to and from New Orleans "as expected".

State of Emergency does not include the whole state, just the areas affected. As others have said, the SL and Crescent run on different tracks than the CONO and may not be affected by the floods.

The Sunset and Crescent originate inside the New Orleans dike systems. It would appear that the pump systems worked as planned unlike they did during Katrina ?

We have only been getting light rain in NOLA. The north side of the lake got hit very hard. Hammond and north to the state line is underwater. The CNO tracks are flooded up there.

Our local National Weather Service (Spokane, WA) posted some rainfall totals from the Gulf Coast, and some of those totals are beyond my comprehension. One place in Louisiana has gotten over 25 inches of rain since Thursday. 25! :eek: . We here where I live have had just under 9 inches for the year and 25 is much more than we get a year! Unimaginable to me.

The floods must have receded sufficiently, because northbound #58 just departed New Orleans on time, and #59 is approaching Hammond.

The floods must have receded sufficiently, because northbound #58 just departed New Orleans on time, and #59 is approaching Hammond.
They said the tracks were able to be inspected and are safe for slow orders. The storm system moved enough west to slow some draining of flood waters around I-55.

Our local National Weather Service (Spokane, WA) posted some rainfall totals from the Gulf Coast, and some of those totals are beyond my comprehension. One place in Louisiana has gotten over 25 inches of rain since Thursday. 25! :eek: . We here where I live have had just under 9 inches for the year and 25 is much more than we get a year! Unimaginable to me.
Last May 11th, I got 11.97" of rain at my house... in 135 minutes (just over 2 hours).

I was booked on #58.(the one that was scheduled to depart New Orleans on Friday 8/12) I was supposed to get on the train halfway and ride to the final destination of Chicago.

However, a couple of hours before I headed out, the Amtrak status showed 3.5 hours of delay and eventually turned into a 7-hour delay. It apparently arrived Chicago 7 hours late.

I didn't get on the train, of course. I called Amtrak and asked for a refund. Headed to the Greayhound station and managed to get a pretty cheap ticket and arrived in Chicago around 10AM.

Does anybody know what #58 experienced? Did it actually leave from NO? Or somewhere else?

Thanks! :)

I heard on WNBC (New York) TV this morning that anything west of Sidell has been cancelled.

I didn't check Amtrak.com to confirm.

It appears the CNO is back to bus from Jackson to NOLA. I just went past the station and it is still sitting but the status shows departed and the inbound is in disruption. The tracks flooded again last night.

I see that #59(14)and #58(15)are shown as in Service Disruption with #59 shown into Memphis and #58 not rolling anywhere?

#1 (15) left NOL on time heading to HOS but #21(14) and 22(#15) are running 2+ Hours Late and #22(14)was running 2+ Hours Late out of STL.

It's still raining in Central Texas with the Louisiana Rain moving North into Arkansas,Missouri and NE Texas, so flooding should continue to be a problem for these trains the next few days!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see that #59(14)and #58(15)are shown as in Service Disruption with #59 shown into Memphis and #58 not rolling anywhere?

#1 (15) left NOL on time heading to HOS but #21(14) and 22(#15) are running 2+ Hours Late and #22(14)was running 2+ Hours Late out of STL.

It's still raining in Central Texas with the Louisiana Rain moving North into Arkansas,Missouri and NE Texas, so flooding should continue to be a problem for these trains the next few days!
They bussing between Memphis or Jackson ( heard either one ) and NOLA.

From LARP's Facebook page:
The eastbound Sunset Limited finally arrived New Orleans at 3:01 a.m. this morning over five hours late, and all of the time was lost between Houston and New Orleans. Most of the region has been placed under a flood warning by the NWS as the bayous fill up with receding flood waters from the north. Today's westbound Sunset is estimated to depart New Orleans at 11:15 a.m., or a little over two hours late. The late departure is caused by the short turn around time to clean/stock the train, plus likely mandatory crew rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back