More Amtrak Railcars for sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This. I love Heritage diners so much, and those rebuilt ones with the classic pink and green color scheme are the nicest and classiest by far. The new ViewDiners are definitely nice, but when it comes to the overall experience of dining on the rails, they just don’t come even remotely close to the Heritages.

Hopefully whoever is buying them agrees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3mfPDSbl-4

Sorry...I just couldn't resist reminding you...what you missed.... :giggle:

I can think of one great reason to hold on to old cars after retirement when similar cars are in the fleet......parts. Now that the PPCs and heritage cars are done there is no reason to hold on to the parts donors.

A lot of these cars have some issues FYI if you do bid I hope you inspected what you're getting before you bid. Some of them have some pretty heavy work ahead of them.

And the auction is today. So I'm sitting here with my fingers crossed hoping and praying my bids get accepted. I would love to know how many were actually bid on.

I'm not sure what I can say or not so I'll say the bare minimum and let you guys take it where you will.

I did not get any of the cars I put a bid in on. One bidder bought all of the cars on the market in the first auction, and now the second auction.

I know who it was, and at what price but I'm not sure if I can release that info. Other than one company/individual will have a very large storage Bill for all of their equipment. They have all of the Hi-level cars (including PPCs), Crew dorms, baggage, and Diners.

Honestly I have no idea what they are going to do with a bunch of baggage cars. Even though the trucks have some value, and the hep cables.

I'm not sure what I can say or not so I'll say the bare minimum and let you guys take it where you will.

I did not get any of the cars I put a bid in on. One bidder bought all of the cars on the market in the first auction, and now the second auction.

I know who it was, and at what price but I'm not sure if I can release that info. Other than one company/individual will have a very large storage Bill for all of their equipment. They have all of the Hi-level cars (including PPCs), Crew dorms, baggage, and Diners.

Honestly I have no idea what they are going to do with a bunch of baggage cars. Even though the trucks have some value, and the hep cables.
Lemme guess...the St. Louis guys?

You've all heard of the company. They own/lease ex Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level cars. So now their storage rate has to be thru the roof.
Since you can't say the company, I'm just curious for no particular reason what your opinion is of a certain Netflix show starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney? ;)   :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you can't say the company, I'm just curious for no particular reason what your opinion is of a certain Netflix show starring Jason Bateman and Laura Linney? [emoji6] [emoji4]
What show?

They won't be scrapped for now but I'm all honesty I think the 17xx will get scrapped. Baggage cars I'm not really sure what use they will have for them unless they are doing express trains which could be interesting. Imagine Amazon Prime trains between their distribution hubs. The diners are in pretty bad shape. Several need a lot of Center sill work. But I don't see where full meal service fits in their business plan. Their routes aren't long enough to need it.

The crew dorms will need a lot of work. And likely they would be tubing them to become coaches. The hi level cars including the PPCs fit in with their current fleet that I don't trust them to have any real use for them because they failed in a pretty spectacular way last time.

About the only viable use for those cars at the moment would be if (for example) California decided to buy/lease the whole batch and then pair them with some Surfliners or Superliners to augment capacity on the Surfliner route (the Surfliner/Superliner equipment being needed to provide "downstairs" seating and facilities for ADA purposes).  Not that they couldn't make that work (and at a bare minimum they could probably use the theater space in the PPC for this, though for obvious reasons I can't even guess at what could be done with the other Hi-Levels).

But aside from something in that vein where they're used to augment state-level capacity, I don't see them getting used.

Honestly there are too many cars on the market right now. And a lot of cars with current Amtrak certifications. Which tells me that a lot of small businesses are hurting because of Anderson and Gardner. And I think you'll see a major shock of an announcement here in the next few weeks.

None of these cars would be ready for corridor service anytime soon. I doubt they will manage to do anything with them. Maybe they need an employee to look after them because I know three people who just lost their jobs because of Amtrak who are in the market.

#willworkforfood

What's the issue with the Horizons (since there were a decent number of those)?  The bags, I presume, are likely to get stripped for parts and who knows about the diners, but the Horizons would seem to be still usable in some fashion.

Sounds like James E. Coston's Corridor Capital to me.  I would have guessed Ed Ellis but he seems short on money.

Back