More bridge fire incidents affecting Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope, they are still there (somehow). I think there's still one or two at the northern/eastern end of Glorieta Pass and the ones by Wagon Mound. Might be one or two more just west of Las Vegas too.

From the highway we saw 3 or 4 sets by wagon mound and 1 south (railroad west?) of Las Vegas.

From the highway we saw 3 or 4 sets by wagon mound and 1 south (railroad west?) of Las Vegas.
Hope you got some pictures! The history is one of the reasons that I love(d) the Chief. Between the Wig Wag, the Semaphores, the jointed rail, it made for some great history. Unfortunately it's almost all gone now...

Here we go again!
Out of LAX: SL#2 cancelled and TE#422 will originate SAS

Westbound #1 showing "Service Disruption" between ALP and ELP.

My wife was supposed to be on 422 from LAX to Austin, TX.
We got an e-mail this morning, cancelled the ticket for a full refund and bought airplane tickets. She's now visiting friends in Seattle and hopes to be in Austin on Friday and Saturday.
Still, bummer, she likes trains far more then airports and airplanes...
On the plus-side, there was a very helpful guy helping at San Diego to get her a ticket to LAX (Amtrak), so she's is still having a nice, all be it shortish, traintrip.

The recent increase in the number of Amtrak trains being cancelled due to bridge fires raises an interesting question: if a passenger has a round trip ticket – let’s say from Los Angeles to Chicago with a return from Chicago to Los Angeles – and the Los Angeles train to Chicago is cancelled, can that passenger request a full refund that includes the return trip, even though that train might not be cancelled? How about a full refund for any connecting trains that are under the same reservation number as the cancelled Los Angeles to Chicago train?

The recent increase in the number of Amtrak trains being cancelled due to bridge fires raises an interesting question: if a passenger has a round trip ticket – let’s say from Los Angeles to Chicago with a return from Chicago to Los Angeles – and the Los Angeles train to Chicago is cancelled, can that passenger request a full refund that includes the return trip, even though that train might not be cancelled?
Why would Amtrak be against refunding unused tickets related to a cancelled or annulled train? It costs them almost nothing and absolves them of any further liability. A bigger question is what should happen to an Amtrak passenger who gets stuck far away from home through no fault of their own. Does a pro rata refund on the unused portion of their trip (that could take days to clear and may not be enough to buy a walkup flight home) make them whole again?

A bigger question is what should happen to an Amtrak passenger who gets stuck far away from home through no fault of their own. Does a pro rata refund on the unused portion of their trip (that could take days to clear and may not be enough to buy a walkup flight home) make them whole again?
Here's what happened to me on #1 on this latest fire incident. They terminated the train at ELP May 1 and gave us the choice of abandoning the train there with no alternative transportation west or ride the train back to NOL for free. I had a connection in LAX on #14 on the same reservation. These were the final two legs of my circle trip. I got off at ELP and flew back to SFO the next day (yesterday). One night Hilton hotel plus one-way American Airlines fare ELP-SFO cost just under $500. Today, Amtrak refunded the full fare from NIB-LAX-SFO (bedroom and roomette) of $1,065, no questions asked. This even though I had enjoyed about 30 hours in a bedroom on the way west. They said the refund would process in five to eight days back to my cc, and gave me a confirmation number. Am I disappointed? Not financially, but I am sorry I didn't get to complete the train trip. But it wasn't Amtrak's fault. There's always a next time. :)

The recent increase in the number of Amtrak trains being cancelled due to bridge fires raises an interesting question: if a passenger has a round trip ticket – let’s say from Los Angeles to Chicago with a return from Chicago to Los Angeles – and the Los Angeles train to Chicago is cancelled, can that passenger request a full refund that includes the return trip, even though that train might not be cancelled? How about a full refund for any connecting trains that are under the same reservation number as the cancelled Los Angeles to Chicago train?
I would say definitely yes. If Amtak can't get you there they can't get you back either. They can't suppose you'll take alternate transpotrtation.

I would say definitely yes. If Amtak can't get you there they can't get you back either. They can't suppose you'll take alternate transpotrtation.
Thanks to everyone for their comments to my question. Common sense would indicate that a full refund would be in order. But, judging from some of the AU posts I’ve read, common sense and Amtrak often have little in common.

Back