More bridge fire incidents affecting Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gardner just needsany reason to cancel. 3 & 4 cancelled at origin even though no one will know if bridge in Colorado will be replaced. by tomorrow? Why can't these trains go by the southern transcon. Would require what? 4 pilots?
I don’t think decisions like this make it up to the CEO’s office…

I don’t think decisions like this make it up to the CEO’s office…
Yes. Such things will be handled at least a couple of levels below the CEO. It will probably not even percolate upto the VP of operations in many cases.

The bridges just can't catch a break in this fire season, I guess. What is this, number three this year?
I count five.

One on Sunset Limited, Texas Eagle, Coast Starlight,. Southwest Chief, and California ZEphyr.

The current minimum level of service doesn't favor Amtrak becoming a more viable and common means of travel for the masses.
Actually, the various corridor services don't seem to be having this degree of disruption, and they do provide a "viable means of travel for the mases," except, of course, outside the NEC (and maybe the Pacific Surfliner), they need more frequencies. Passenger rail is most viable for the masses for trips of up to 500 miles (which is pushing it, more like 200-400) in heavily populated areas. The future of passenger rail is mostly such corridor services linked together, which allows for a basic network of long-distance trains to serve people who can't or won't fly or drive, with people who just like riding trains long distances being a relatively minor part of the total market.

Actually, the various corridor services don't seem to be having this degree of disruption, and they do provide a "viable means of travel for the mases," …

I would argue that a lot of Amtrak Corridors these days are absolutely being hammered with freight delays. And this is worse customer expectation-wise (in my opinion) than LD delays.

This was supposed to be improving with teeth being added to host railroad on-time requirements, but it obviously isn’t happening. It’s worse than it ever has been. Just look at all the notifications from Amtrak on Twitter for train delays. A whole bunch of them are for Corridor services.

Now it's Denver where we're getting a rental car and driving to Albuquerque.

Since the CZ is moving again hopefully we'll be fine (knock on wood).

I’d almost tell you to go a little further west to Glenwood springs and see if you can rent from there as you’d get to see what is one of the most scenic stretches of rail in America. But obviously driving wise Denver is ideal for getting to Albuquerque by interstates - you may end up having to back track a bit if you went further west - now if you have some extra time I may recommend considering that as it’s a spectacular but just wanted to throw that out there.

Glad to see you have a plan. Sorry to hear your trip was interrupted. If you can swing it, I agree with lordsigma that the stretch west of Denver is arguably the most scenic in the country.

I agree 100%. If you possibly can, get some of that very scenic CZ ride. West of Denver is awesome!

As of yesterday April 23rd, there were at least 21 fires in northern NM. I think they're all west of the SWC's route, but the wind is blowing east and north, so could impact it, I suppose. On Friday, the winds were sustained at 50 mph with gusts up to 80 mph, the humidity was in the single digits (that's nothing unusual), and both forest and grasslands are all dried up offering plenty of fuel. And that was ALL OVER the state, not just one portion. The weather people rated it as catastrophic fire weather. There are a number of road closures and mandatory evacuations including almost half of 2 counties. Las Vegas NM hotels are totally filled with firefighters staying there, so don't try to get lodging there. If Emmo123 stays on I-25 from Denver to ABQ, s/he should be ok, but I-25 did close briefly yesterday somewhere around Santa Fe due to zero or low visibility from all the smoke from the fires. I haven't heard much about fires in Colorado other than there are some burning and there is a big problematic one in northern AZ. I don't know if the AZ one is close to the SWC route or not.

Based on the rest of our itinerary we couldn't go farther than Denver but that's okay. Aside from traveling with a sometimes loud one year old the actual trip has been very pleasant. In the end we'll probably ride again sometime but now have a better idea of what to do and expect. The wife has even suggested just the two of us take a trip in the fall.

I think the plan is to stay on I-25 the whole point ay although if anyone knows of a short detour to grab a picture of a semaphore that location would be appreciated.

Nope, there was another one this year in Chico. All of those happened this month.
Was that just a few days ago? I looked for information and could find none - both Coast Starlight trains were stopped in CA for "fire department activity" and then returned back to their departure stations and terminated.

Here's an update with a regional map showing the areas of NM, CO, TX, etc. that are at high risk, in addition to the current fires. The news story includes a photo taken from Train 3 on April 22nd.

2 wildfires combine as state declares emergency (msn.com)

Note that the Pueblo detour used by the SWC is one of the alternatives under consideration as a future regular route tapping the Front Range market. For most people today it was rare mileage.

Screenshot of a generic television railroad bridge, in Nebraska included:
Upcoming weather conditions in West may help slow raging wildfires (msn.com)

Last edited:
Here's an update with a regional map showing the areas of NM, CO, TX, etc. that are at high risk, in addition to the current fires. The news story includes a photo taken from Train 3 on April 22nd.

2 wildfires combine as state declares emergency (msn.com)

Note that the Pueblo detour used by the SWC is one of the alternatives under consideration as a future regular route tapping the Front Range market. For most people today it was rare mileage.

Screenshot of a generic television railroad bridge, in Nebraska included:
Upcoming weather conditions in West may help slow raging wildfires (msn.com)
Bridge fires may impact the SWC off and on for the next couple of months.
https://www.npr.org/2022/04/24/1094532070/fires-hit-southwest-new-mexicos-season-dangerously-early

I think the plan is to stay on I-25 the whole point ay although if anyone knows of a short detour to grab a picture of a semaphore that location would be appreciated.
I believe the last of the semaphores were removed a few months ago.

As of yesterday April 23rd, there were at least 21 fires in northern NM. I think they're all west of the SWC's route, but the wind is blowing east and north, so could impact it, I suppose.
I came across this site which seems to show active fire locations and relative size. Does not look good.

https://www.fireweatheravalanche.org/fire/state/new-mexico

I believe the last of the semaphores were removed a few months ago.
Nope, they are still there (somehow). I think there's still one or two at the northern/eastern end of Glorieta Pass and the ones by Wagon Mound. Might be one or two more just west of Las Vegas too.

Shoot! Missed my chance to ride between Pueblo and Trinidad.😢 I have ridden between La Junta and Pueblo, pre-Amtrak....

Back