More Greyhound cutbacks and comparison with airlines

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you ever watched the BBC series "Great Railway Journeys of the World" that was on PBS many years ago (and shows up on YouTube) the episode about the US has a scene where the narrator gets on the CZ at Borie in the winter, a dramatic view of what winter Railroading in North America can be like.
PBS stations kept showing the 1979 San Francisco Zephyr program with the bus connection and Heritage fleet after the re-route onto the Moffat Line.

1983 08 22 BBC-PBS panned Zephyr wi old film 001 (2).jpg

If you ever watched the BBC series "Great Railway Journeys of the World" that was on PBS many years ago (and shows up on YouTube) the episode about the US has a scene where the narrator gets on the CZ at Borie in the winter, a dramatic view of what winter Railroading in North America can be like.
Having the bus and train depot’s in close proximity came in handy in Cheyenne several times both prior, and subsequent to Amtrak operation of the”Overland Route” during severe winter weather.
When both Interstate 80, and the old Lincoln Highway (US 30) were closed by blizzard conditions, Greyhound would put its passengers on the trains between Cheyenne and Ogden, or wherever bus service was running…

I think that Harrisburg has the bus station in the same building as the train station. Also, Portland Maine and Vancouver, BC.
Also Boston, where the bus station is over the tracks of South Station, although the addition of faregates may sever the current indoor walkway between the two.

PBS stations kept showing the 1979 San Francisco Zephyr program with the bus connection and Heritage fleet after the re-route onto the Moffat Line.

View attachment 35581
As I recall, PBS later added a comment at the beginning of the program saying in effect "things at Amtrak aren't as bad now as the program shows".

I think that Harrisburg has the bus station in the same building as the train station. Also, Portland Maine and Vancouver, BC.
Harrisburg was somewhat of a unique setup, compared to Newark, and others…
There, the PRR, later, PC, and even into the Amtrak era, the RR ticket clerks also sold the Greyhound tickets, at the same windows. If you walked up, and asked for a ticket to Philadelphia for example, the clerk would ask: “train or bus”?
Trailways had their own counter, and earlier had their own depot a block away…
In Newark, Greyhound had their own facilities but in the same building.

Last edited:
How long has it been that Greyhound has abandoned Wyoming ?

What intercity bus service is left ?
Greyhound still serves Wyoming east-west on a single Denver <> Cheyenne <> Laramie <> Salt Lake City run, with the Cheyenne <> Salt Lake City stretch directly descended from Union Pacific Stages. It's an Amtrak Thruway route, as a substitute for the Pioneer. When train service was discontinued, there were three daily Greyhound trips.

Jefferson Lines serves northeastern Wyoming, focused on Billings. Express Arrow runs Denver <> Buffalo, where it makes a connection to Billings with Jefferson. Recently, Express Arrow has gone from once daily to five days a week, as best as I can tell. Express Arrow is an Amtrak Thruway carrier, but Jefferson Lines between Buffalo and Billings is not.

Salt Lake Express serves western Wyoming from their namesake city. There are some minor carriers for resort access or social services.

Dec. 22, 2016 in Denver Union Station.
P1040706.JPG

Last edited:
Just a further comment on that summer of '48 timetable...

When I worked for Greyhound in Omaha in 1971thru 1973, we still had 6 daily trips to Cheyenne, another just to Grand Island, and one to Norfolk via Columbus. 3 of the 6 to Cheyenne that 'discharged only' in Lincoln (due to a traffic restriction in favor of Continental Trailways), and we also ran 3 shuttle trips to Lincoln and back. In the summer, we added 3 express trips, 2 of which branched off at Big Springs Jct. to Denver via I-76. Even with all that service, most trips had at least one extra section, and sometimes 2 or more. Going East of Omaha, we had even more service via both I-80/US-6, and via US-30.
In addition to our service, Continental Trailways had 4 daily trips, 3 to Denver, and 1 to Cheyenne and beyond. Amtrak had the daily SFZ via the BN to Denver.

Syracuse, NY, has Amtrak and intercity and local buses all in the same building.
That's the same in Denver, but it came about in an odd way. When I was working on the Union Station project, Greyhound and associated lines were too big to fit in the RTD bus station, other than dropping in for Thruway connections. Then Greyhound made more drastic cuts and they fit!

Portland, Oregon had a prize-winning, modern station across the street from Union Station, but real estate developers kicked them out. Flix is on the street a block north of the Union Station now, with passengers trying to wait and use restrooms in Union Station. Riders on the Cascades or Coast Starlight or Empire Builder may see them through the fence.

Back