More Management Members Gone @ Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
According to an ongoing thread on trainorders 40 something Mangement types have been "Fired" or Retired Recently @ the Direction of CEO Joe Boardman including Brian Rosenwald who "Retired"according to Trains Columnist Fred Fraley!!!! The OP mentions such things as "Lack of Vision", "40 Years Experience with Amtrak" etc. and goes on to say that Mr. Boardman has Hired over 100 New Mangers (Some of whom We Know are Competent! ;) ) during the Ongoing Re-Orginization @ Amtrak! Lets hope this is a Good thing for Amtrak, which it Seems to Be, with the Recent Changes/Initivatives/Programs etc. that have been Announced and Implemented and seem to be Working!

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, some people on "the list" have great vision, but don't march to the same tune as the CEO. That being said, there are plenty of "old timers" who,have resisted change for many years. Time will tell how,effective this round of RIFs and retirements will be!

Looks like Boardman is getting rid of deadwood. They've got their pensions so I'm not going to be sorry for them. Customer Service is grossly inconsistent and Mechanical has failed in dramatic ways in recent years, so I'm not surprised top managers in those departments got the ax; they're not *managing*.

As for Rosenwald, looks like he's actually retiring. I can imagine he's tired of a long-thankless job.

Frankly, Amtrak needs some younger management. People born prior to the 1970s frequently have a bad attitude about passenger trains and this has been true even within Amtrak.

People born prior to the 1970s frequently have a bad attitude about passenger trains and this has been true even within Amtrak.
There's a sweeping generalization as useless anything you will see on this forum.

Hats off to Mr. Boardman if he can get rid of excessive management and lighten the ship. I have always said too much management is the fastest way to scupper a company or organization.

Ironically the original post on this matter on TO had a tinge of "Look how terrible Boardman is getting rid of established managerial talent". Several of us wondered if there was so much vision and talent being lost where is the execution of any of that vision over the 30 odd years some of them have been at Amtrak? Clearly even if they may be individually very talented they were not being terribly effective at Amtrak. It happens. Very talented people sometime are non-productive in a particular organizational setting. Now this could be a problem with Amtrak and not with the individuals. But doing nothing and letting things continue as is did not seem to be a reasonable option at least to me. But what do I know? I have been through numerous reorgs and purges of management, some disastrous and some extremely productive. All I can say is we won't know until it plays out some.

Now if Mr. B. will sit down with the newbies and set mutual goals and find out how they will achieve them, perhaps some positive change will result..... :unsure:

Now if Mr. B. will sit down with the newbies and set mutual goals and find out how they will achieve them, perhaps some positive change will result..... :unsure:
He should have done that when he hired them.
I thought most of the ones that Gene was talking about on TO pre-date Boardman by many many years. But I suppose I could be wrong.

He should have done that when he hired them.
I thought most of the ones that Gene was talking about on TO pre-date Boardman by many many years. But I suppose I could be wrong.
You are correct, almost everyone on the retirement and RIF list were there well before Boardman.

Hello,

I have been an avid follower of all things AMTRAK and would be honored to discuss some personal questions with a member named Haolerider.

You appear to bring a level-headed approach to all discussions.

I would like the opportunity to email you. If you do see this can you please email me at mwgalbicsek at icloud dot com?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:
When I met Rosenwald, he did mention retiring pretty soon. He's the one who got the Pacific Parlour cars put on the Starlight, and he had a lot to do with the idea of running a daily Sunset Limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back