Quantcast

More Night Trains for Europe

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Just-Thinking-51

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
AU Supporter

So yes this pre COVID but still all the different players getting involved in sleeper trains.

Willbridge

OBS Chief

So yes this pre COVID but still all the different players getting involved in sleeper trains.
I like Nightjet, especially the rooms with a window for the upper berth. And I especially get a kick out of Nightjet because they ought-thought Deutsche Bahn. With the cooperation of SNCF, they created a useful Paris<>Freiburg<>Berlin overnight service.

My last experience with DB's City Night Line was reminiscent of the Southern Pacific; it was obvious that overnight passengers were not wanted in 2014. The photos show my Berlin to Amsterdam trip halted at Emmerich due to a Dutch engine breakdown. In photo 15k you can see the disconnected train line laid out on the platform, waiting for an "engine too far" from Arnhem Not DB's fault, but no attempt to ameliorate the situation. Booking the trip had been a hassle in the first place.

12k Strandee.jpg13k Stranded.jpg15k Dead at Emmerich.jpg

sttom

OBS Chief
Its nice to see that overnight trains in Europe are expanding, but I am also envious. I would like to have more overnight trains in the US and a budget option. But I am hopeful, it European railways are starting to budge on conventional thinking, Amtrak probably will too. Especially considering the people running the show have the capacity to retire.