More Photography Harassment in Maryland

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, back in the days of the Cold War, when we had legitimate concerns about Chinese or East Bloc spies, we made it a point of pride that we let people photograph even military stuff, unlike the silly paranoid Commies. Nowadays, I suspect that the only reason that Chinese or Russian spies take pictures of our railroads is to take them home and laugh among themselves about our primitive railway infrastructure. :)

Some pictures of the Beijing subway taken in 2017. Nobody from the dictatorial regime bothered me at all, even the picture of the security checkpoint.

View attachment 14816

View attachment 14817
Come to think of it, if they had bothered me, I was travelling on an official passport. It might have caused a diplomatic incident. I might have gotten into trouble at work. I might have retired a year earlier than I did, or maybe I might right now be cooling my heels in a Chinese prison. :) (unlikely, given the experience of the basetball player, who was caught shoplifting in China, but was pretty quickly released and sent home. This is China, after all, not North Korea.)

Back