Morning Lincoln Service cancelled 8/28-8/30

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iplaybass

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
UP is doing trackwork on the CHI-STL route, so trains 300-303 are being substituted by bus service. If you are south of Springfield, and were planning to take 300 northbound, make alternate arrangements, because there's no substitute bus from St. Louis corresponding to 300.

"Buses leave earlier", but no other details from the service disruption notice. Maybe amtrak.com has more details.

UP is doing trackwork on the CHI-STL route, so trains 300-303 are being substituted by bus service. If you are south of Springfield, and were planning to take 300 northbound, make alternate arrangements, because there's no substitute bus from St. Louis corresponding to 300.

"Buses leave earlier", but no other details from the service disruption notice. Maybe amtrak.com has more details.
Are they rerouting the trains via the old C&EI route?

Are they rerouting the trains via the old C&EI route?
Usually only the Texas Eagle is rerouted this way since the Lincoln Trains serve stops between CHI and STL,and the Eagle is a Long Distance Train.

The C&EI route bypasses almost all the intermediate stops between STL and CHI. I believe Bloomington-Normal is the only common stop, and that requires more rerouting to get to and from the current line than UP is willing to do.

I've taken the detour on the Eagle before, and they run it non-stop STL-CHI. UP has also used it for steam excursions.

When Railpax was considering which CHI-STL route to keep on day 1, one of the deciding factors was the C&EI didn't go through the state capitol of Springfield, so they kept the slightly longer IC (?).

The C&EI route bypasses almost all the intermediate stops between STL and CHI. I believe Bloomington-Normal is the only common stop, and that requires more rerouting to get to and from the current line than UP is willing to do.

I've taken the detour on the Eagle before, and they run it non-stop STL-CHI. UP has also used it for steam excursions.

When Railpax was considering which CHI-STL route to keep on day 1, one of the deciding factors was the C&EI didn't go through the state capitol of Springfield, so they kept the slightly longer IC (?).
The Lincoln Service route is the former Gulf, Mobile and Ohio. The old C&EI comes nowhere near Bloomington-Normal, as well as just about anyplace with any kind of population.

I believe the route that was kept was actually the old Alton Route which became the Gulf Mobile and Ohio.
That's correct, but the Illinois Central purchased the GM&O, and it became the Illinois Central Gulf, before the Canadian National bought it...

The Illinois Central did have its own route to Springfield and St. Louis where it ran its "Green Diamond". The Wabash also had a strong Chicago-St. Louis business via Decatur, the route of its domeliner Blue Bird and Banner Blue. That was taken over by Norfolk and Western, now Norfolk Southern. And there were several other routes between Chicago and St. Louis as well...

Back