Morning Paper in sleepers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who needs a paper when much more current news is available online? And when there's no cell phone service, and therefore, no onboard wifi, simply wait until the train gets near a city with population over 100 and there will be cell phone service for a few minutes.

I always enjoyed getting a morning paper and in fact will occasionally buy one if a station has a coin operated paper box. Towards the end, more and more places opted for giving copies of USA Today instead of local papers, which I don't really care for. In today's world where much of the news (seemingly) is bad, it was refreshing to read about things that weren't bad, especially in the smaller places. The morning paper from Klamath Falls, especially, was like that. I enjoyed reading about Mrs. Calabash winning the blue ribbon for her prize chrysanthemums at the local fair, or the Klamath Falls Dodgers winning the American Legion baseball championship. Or in the police blotter, instead of robberies, murders, and riots, reading about police being dispatched to 1313 Mockingbird Lane on a report of dogs tipping over garbage cans. THAT'S the kind of news I like seeing.😃

I always enjoyed getting a morning paper and in fact will occasionally buy one if a station has a coin operated paper box. Towards the end, more and more places opted for giving copies of USA Today instead of local papers, which I don't really care for. In today's world where much of the news (seemingly) is bad, it was refreshing to read about things that weren't bad, especially in the smaller places. The morning paper from Klamath Falls, especially, was like that. I enjoyed reading about Mrs. Calabash winning the blue ribbon for her prize chrysanthemums at the local fair, or the Klamath Falls Dodgers winning the American Legion baseball championship. Or in the police blotter, instead of robberies, murders, and riots, reading about police being dispatched to 1313 Mockingbird Lane on a report of dogs tipping over garbage cans. THAT'S the kind of news I like seeing.😃
If it was a morning paper from local stops, showing what type of towns you're going through, THAT would be real nice.

Who needs a paper when much more current news is available online? And when there's no cell phone service, and therefore, no onboard wifi, simply wait until the train gets near a city with population over 100 and there will be cell phone service for a few minutes.
Well, not so much when they put on USA Today, but I loved getting the little local papers like at Minot.

I really do miss getting the morning paper as a perquisite of sleeping-car travel, but I believe Amtrak discontinued this more than five years ago. Some of the en-route papers were pretty thin, like the Pueblo Chieftain I remember getting on the westbound SW Chief. But I also recall being impressed with some of the larger metro dailies that were delivered aboard the train, including the Cleveland Plain Dealer (when the Lake Shore ran on a later schedule westbound), the Buffalo News and many others. I did always feel a bit cheated when Amtrak gave us USA Today, which has none of the local flavor of papers produced in en-route cities but also lacks the depth of national coverage available in major dailies like the Washington Post or New York Times.

Of course, the newspaper industry overall is in terrible decline, and many small and mid-sized dailies have pared their operations to the bone or simply closed. As a longtime newspaperman, I have seen the results of this from the inside. The print newspaper at this point is probably an endangered species. One recent experience brought home to me how dire the situation has become: When I visited Boston South Station last month, I discovered that the newsstand in the concourse, where I have been buying newspapers on my visits to Boston for the past 35 years, was empty and closed. I did not see The Boston Globe or any other daily newspapers available anywhere in the station or on my walk around several blocks of the surrounding neighborhood. It's hard to see how newspapers stay relevant if they aren't even available in a major transportation hub.

The Buffalo News is a great paper still and I think it's because it's locally owned and committed to its local regional region (WNY) in a way conglomerate owned papers just aren't. It's a far better paper than the Oregonian has been in recent years, and if you compare the economic health of the two regions that shouldn't be so. I would love to get local papers when I finally take my Victory Lap of America to celebrate my retirement.

The Buffalo News is a great paper still and I think it's because it's locally owned and committed to its local regional region (WNY) in a way conglomerate owned papers just aren't. It's a far better paper than the Oregonian has been in recent years, and if you compare the economic health of the two regions that shouldn't be so. I would love to get local papers when I finally take my Victory Lap of America to celebrate my retirement.

Well, ownership makes a huge difference in the relative quality of newspapers and always has. But in the environment of the past decade, I have seen even some great papers, whose owners were really committed to local journalism, wind up in dire straits.

In terms of Amtrak, I would love to see daily newspapers offered onboard again to premium customers. And I'm guessing the demographic that rides in sleeping cars would have a pretty good overlap with the demographic that still reads newspapers. But there are no doubt some people who wouldn't see the value in it or would even see it as wasteful.

Well, ownership makes a huge difference in the relative quality of newspapers and always has. But in the environment of the past decade, I have seen even some great papers, whose owners were really committed to local journalism, wind up in dire straits.

In terms of Amtrak, I would love to see daily newspapers offered onboard again to premium customers. And I'm guessing the demographic that rides in sleeping cars would have a pretty good overlap with the demographic that still reads newspapers. But there are no doubt some people who wouldn't see the value in it or would even see it as wasteful.
It would have the potential for literally buying good will, but also for alienating people along the route depending on what papers get bought and how that decision is made.

I guess it’s an ‘old’ thing but after our recent move we subscribed to the local newspaper and are thoroughly enjoying reading it with our morning coffee. Much more informative and interesting than wasting time watching inane morning ‘news’ shows. We find we missed so much with the on line papers that you don’t when it’s so easy to scan a full print page rather than endless scrolling on a tiny screen.

It would have the potential for literally buying good will, but also for alienating people along the route depending on what papers get bought and how that decision is made.

In the days when Amtrak delivered papers onboard, the selection appeared to be based on what paper could get picked up at a staffed station in the early morning in time to be delivered to rooms while it was still the breakfast hour. If the train was running very late, the papers arrived late too.

I guess it’s an ‘old’ thing but after our recent move we subscribed to the local newspaper and are thoroughly enjoying reading it with our morning coffee. Much more informative and interesting than wasting time watching inane morning ‘news’ shows. We find we missed so much with the on line papers that you don’t when it’s so easy to scan a full print page rather than endless scrolling on a tiny screen.

To me, the words on the printed page seem like a luxury experience compared with scrolling through on a screen. I always find much more to read, and read for longer, with the physical copy of the New York Times compared with the web version, even though all the same content is supposedly online. Plus, as you suggest, I can scan the pages and pick and choose the stories I want to read, whereas with broadcast media I have to sit through the reports on items that are less interesting to me, where I meet read only a paragraph or two of these in a newspaper.

In the days when Amtrak delivered papers onboard, the selection appeared to be based on what paper could get picked up at a staffed station in the early morning in time to be delivered to rooms while it was still the breakfast hour. If the train was running very late, the papers arrived late too.
I think the last local paper that I received as a sleeping car passenger on Amtrak was the Pueblo Chieftain (if I have the name correct) which I think was put on the westbound Chief at La Junta. I am guessing that this was probably around 2012. It seems that for a few years after that, USA Today was provided but then it got dropped. I think this was about the time that cranberry juice got banned as well.

I really do miss getting the morning paper as a perquisite of sleeping-car travel, but I believe Amtrak discontinued this more than five years ago. Some of the en-route papers were pretty thin, like the Pueblo Chieftain I remember getting on the westbound SW Chief. But I also recall being impressed with some of the larger metro dailies that were delivered aboard the train, including the Cleveland Plain Dealer (when the Lake Shore ran on a later schedule westbound), the Buffalo News and many others. I did always feel a bit cheated when Amtrak gave us USA Today, which has none of the local flavor of papers produced in en-route cities but also lacks the depth of national coverage available in major dailies like the Washington Post or New York Times.

Of course, the newspaper industry overall is in terrible decline, and many small and mid-sized dailies have pared their operations to the bone or simply closed. As a longtime newspaperman, I have seen the results of this from the inside. The print newspaper at this point is probably an endangered species. One recent experience brought home to me how dire the situation has become: When I visited Boston South Station last month, I discovered that the newsstand in the concourse, where I have been buying newspapers on my visits to Boston for the past 35 years, was empty and closed. I did not see The Boston Globe or any other daily newspapers available anywhere in the station or on my walk around several blocks of the surrounding neighborhood. It's hard to see how newspapers stay relevant if they aren't even available in a major transportation hub.
I read both print and online daily. I find that I browse the print papers much more and tend to read articles that I wouldn't see (or ignore) online. Reading print to me is a more enjoyable and thoughtful experience.

I read both print and online daily. I find that I browse the print papers much more and tend to read articles that I wouldn't see (or ignore) online. Reading print to me is a more enjoyable and thoughtful experience.

This is what I usually do. I enjoy having a daily newspaper. If I am staying in a community for more than a day or two, I like to get a copy of their daily paper and learn more about the community.

I grew up reading both the Detroit Free Press in the morning before school and the Detroit News in the evening.

I did start reading news more online in the late nineties and mostly online in the 21st century.

It started when I didn't see anything about Isaac Asimov's death in the printed New York TImes until more than 24 hours after his death. The circumstances were new for the time, as I'd learned on it on the SFRT Forum on GEnie almost immediately. One of the writers had posted "Janet called. Isaac's gone."

More and more I started noticing that I wasn't reading much new in daily newspapers other than advertising.

Local papers have been annihilated for the most part. Kudos to the valiant few that continue to look at local issues that are otherwise ignored. Many/most remaining local papers consist of wire service reprints and advertiser content. The world needs good journalism more than ever. It also needs good editors, looking at the typos and grammatical errors that are increasing by the day.

The only places that I see Newsstands anymore are at Airports and at the larger Railroad Stations. Sometimes news vending machines can be found at smaller stations. Print media has been on the decline for some years and online news seems to be the trend. Many Amtrak routes now offer WiFi so you can find news there but the connectivity can be an issue. Quite frankly I miss printed newspapers and magazines. You can thumb through them faster than you can browse online.

The only places that I see Newsstands anymore are at Airports and at the larger Railroad Stations. Sometimes news vending machines can be found at smaller stations.

I've still seen a number of coin newspaper vending machines around St. Paul (and Minneapolis) that are stocked regularly, even in residential neighborhoods. I believe there's even a couple outside of Union Depot (but I haven't been near where the vending machines historically have been recently.) Most of the ones near me are coin-only, which means I don't really use them - in part because I still get delivery of the print version two days a week already with a digital replica of the print edition the other five days, and in part because I rarely have quarters on me. Most gas stations and grocery stores still carry the print edition as well.

I recall being on a Silver, arriving in NYP on a Sunday and receiving the Sunday NY Times. WOW. That was quite a while ago. USA Today was substituted after that.

I am one of the few people that gets daily newspaper delivery in my condo building (probably about 5% of the residents - and I know this because when our elevators were out for a week, I volunteered to deliver the newspapers since our delivery person is disabled and unable to walk 17 flights of stairs).

Since my "local" paper is the Washington Post, I likely won't have a true opinion on the quality of local papers any longer. The quality of stories varies, but the editing is sorely lacking in recent years (and not just with the current owner either).

Of places I've lived previously, the NY Times is still actual journalism for the most part, while Chicago and Los Angeles have lost some of their previous excellence due to ownership changes and the general decline of newsrooms forced to go for the "eyeballs" and not pure journalistic motives. My sympathies to all journalists that silently weep at their current fates.

I vacillate between online and physical newspapers. I am very impressed with the NYT reporting (a friend gives me the weekend versions), but the font is too small for my bad eyes and thus it is more difficult to read than the online versions that I can expand to accommodate my eyesight. The font for my local paper is acceptable and it is certainly far better than, say, Apple news, as it covers my area. The other problem I have with physical newspapers is that the story continues on a different page and so is a little harder to track. Not a big deal most of the time. And then there is the newspaper print dirtying my hands, but then we all probably need to wash our hands more frequently than we usually do. And we do have 5 parrots living with us, so after I read the physical newspapers, then I give them to the parrots to "read". Any excess goes to a nearby rabbit rescue group.

Back