Most favorite Amtrak Locomotive

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Most favorite Amtrak Locomotive

• P40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • P42

• P32AC-DM

• F59PHI

• HHP-8

• F40PH

• B32-8

• SDP40F (Retired)

• P30CH (Retired)

• SW-1500 (Switcher Unit)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
Pick the Engine that is you favorite, I picked the B32-8, I loved them in Phase 3 or "Pepsi Can", I think that's what is called. The B32-8's were ok in the Phase IV, but I liked them in Phase 3 and the Amtrak California Paint. :) :) :)

I would've said AEM-7 in Phase III (as built before those stupid lights), but since I'm still partial to electrics, I said the HHP-8.

If you've seen photos you'll notice that originally the word Amtrak was to the left, then it was moved to the center between two marker lights.

Although I already started a poll very simular to this one a while ago, I dont mind voting again. Id have to go with P40s painted in their orignal Phase III fade scheme as my favorites.

P40Power said:
Although I already started a poll very simular to this one a while ago, I dont mind voting again. Id have to go with P40s painted in their orignal Phase III fade scheme as my favorites.
I thought that I remembered another poll on this topic. But when I was pinning this topic early this morning at 6:00 AM CT, I wasn't sure.

Amfleet said:
Viewliner said:
I would've said AEM-7 in Phase III (as built before those stupid lights), but since I'm still partial to electrics, I said the HHP-8.
What lights are you talking about?
I think Viewliner is refering to ditch lights. I voted for the P40 because of a few things. First integrated computer display, makes it much easier to run the engine. Second looks, possibly one of the best looking engines on the road. Finally, hauling ability, these are the only engines Amtrak owns that can actually haul. (BTW, amtrakadirondack, I think you meant P-32-8, not B-32-8, if I'm not mistaken.

I agree with the post above about the AEM-7s with the ditch lights, they do look weird, especially in the phase III scheme. I liked the northeast direct colors on the AEM-7s as well, looked pretty sharp. The new Acela scheme on them looks pretty bland.

P40Power said:
I agree with the post above about the AEM-7s with the ditch lights, they do look weird, especially in the phase III scheme. I liked the northeast direct colors on the AEM-7s as well, looked pretty sharp. The new Acela scheme on them looks pretty bland.
I agree with that, except that they looked best in Phase III without ditch lights.

No one ever talks about the old Pooches any more or the big SDP40Fs. Too bad they were before my time, Id love to see these gigantic units be at the head of trains! But it wasnt to be, the Pooches with their chronic mechanical problems and the big SDPs with their derailment problems on bad track (it was in the 70s, there werent too many places in the country with GOOD track, they seemed to run good out west on the Santa Fe though). I think both the Pooches and the SDPs are awesome looking machines. The Pooch is like a big rounded off F40PH. The SDP sorta has a little F40PH in it, but it mostly had a look all to its own.

Viewliner said:
P40Power said:
I agree with the post above about the AEM-7s with the ditch lights, they do look weird, especially in the phase III scheme.  I liked the northeast direct colors on the AEM-7s as well, looked pretty sharp.  The new Acela scheme on them looks pretty bland.
I agree with that, except that they looked best in Phase III without ditch lights.
I think they look best in Phase V with ditch lights. I think engines look better with ditch lights in general. The headlight just doesn't seem like enough by itself, I'm such a child of the modern age.

I guess I never paid attention to the lights. I think the AEM-7's look good in Phase V with the wave logos. Frankly, Phase III and IV on those things looked a little to much.

P40Power said:
No one ever talks about the old Pooches
Are you talking about the P30CH's?

I wish Amtrak would have kept some and maybe have a museum where they have all the older cars. But I want to see Beech Grove, I want to see the “Train Car Grave Yard” as it was said on CNN or something like that, I would like to view the cars.

Ps. Does anybody know which derailment that Coach CNN showed with the huge gapping hole in the side of it. It was a Superliner I, if that helps at all.

I have a 1975 Trains issue that had a huge article "Power Behind The Pointless Arrow" and it was all about Amtrak locomotives of the day and where they were assigned and stuff, really good article. Ill pull it tommorow and see for sure, but they had a whole little section on the GG-1s and a seperate GG-1 roster and the history of the units what they were before they went Amtrak. I think Amtrak owned 30 or so, but it leased many others from Penn Central.

Alright, thanks. My friend has quite a substantial collection of various magazines. Its possible he might have the same one. I will see if I can track it down.

Thanks again.

December 1975 is the issue, I just pulled it out. I was correct before, according to the issue, Amtrak owned 30 GG-1 electrics on July 1st, 1975. They were also leasing 10 additional units from Penn Central. Want to know anything else about old Amtrak units? Just ask, this magazine gives the low down of all its units in its first 4 years. This issue also has speculative drawings of the F40PH which was just ordered, and they drew it up pretty good, the only thing which was wrong was the road number, on the drawing they had the unit #100.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back