Most luxurious Amtrak train ever?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrescent

OBS Chief
What's the most luxurious Amtrak train that Amtrak has ever operated?

* Has Amtrak ever run an all-room train (even for a special event)?

* I believe that Amtrak offered a premium car on the Pennsylvanian in the 1990s (or so); has Amtrak tried to offer "special" luxury cars on its regular trains at other times?

* At Amtrak's inception, did it continue trains such as the Super Chief unchanged from private railroads, even for a while?

Just curious--thanks!

They did have the Keystone Club Car which was actually the private car the JP Henderson a former Missouri-Kansas-Texas coach which was converted by Bob Willits into a private car. I've worked on this one a few times its now at Sam Shortline in Cordelle, GA. It's the first Pullman-Standard stainless car and it's quirky. I hope you aren't tall if you walk thru it.

Does the Hoosier State count as run by Amtrak? It was completely swell on every level. The business class service was impeccable, the meals were first class, and there was an observation/diner car where you could sit for the entire journey. Once I went down after my meal to sit in the seats reserved for business PAX and it was completely empty. When some coach folks came in, they removed them. I mean, if you are going to run "first class" type services, and charge a premium for it, then this is the way it should be done (Amtrak are you listening?). Give the people who pay some value and exclusivity.

Does the Hoosier State count as run by Amtrak? It was completely swell on every level. The business class service was impeccable, the meals were first class, and there was an observation/diner car where you could sit for the entire journey. Once I went down after my meal to sit in the seats reserved for business PAX and it was completely empty. When some coach folks came in, they removed them. I mean, if you are going to run "first class" type services, and charge a premium for it, then this is the way it should be done (Amtrak are you listening?). Give the people who pay some value and exclusivity.

Hoosier State really was something special. I wish I had taken a few more rides on it and the Iowa Pacific’s city of New Orleans - those were the best of the best.

In the good days, the Coast Starlight was up there with them. The welcome Champaign, free wine and cheese tasting, and meals in parlour car were so good.

I agree about the Coast Starlight being the most luxurious Amtrak train, especially when the Pacific Parlour Car was in the consist. I recall traveling to 2 AU Gatherings with a group of friends in the swivel chairs and meals in the car. I recall many years back, the attendant went our of her way to accommodate our group (which comprised of a few large men) by reserving the middle booths for our group since they were a bit larger.

The wine tasting was also a highlight. Below is a photo in the PPC during an OTOL fest. Alan and I were apparently having a good time. (I think I remember about what we were laughing.) :) I believe that @jis was the photographer.
Alan and Penny.jpg

I have two special memories from several trips I took on the Coast Starlight.

One, southbound SEA – EMY on New Year’s Eve. Moonlight through the snowy Cascades. I was the only pax in the Parlour Car, chatting with the attendant, mentioning that I visited a small village in Africa occasionally. He told me that his wife had spent several years in Chad which, coincidentally, was the country I visited. She happened to be riding with him, going home for New Year’s, and he went to her room to get her. We had a great time reminiscing and raised our champagne glasses at midnight. Probably against the rules, he joined us for one glass. But we were the only pax in the car, so he got away with it.

My second fond memory is of coming north from Santa Barbara, enjoying the wine tasting and then going down to the lower level to watch the movie Julie and Julia. A train with a movie theater! How can you beat that?

Not Amtrak but pulled by them. Pullman Rail Journeys had some really high end cars CHI-NOL but the service went away after a couple of years. It may have been top end but was too costly for the service to continue. The service also could not use its own motive power. Private passenger train service like Brightline can operate but IMO, the operator must run the entire train for it to be profitable.

They would probably be horrified to see todays situation with the Chief, unfortunately.

As would plenty of pre-Amtrak railroads. From food freshly cooked onboard, white linen tablecloths and real silverware on the Southern Crescent…to no dining car and Flexible Dining today? And didn’t the Super Chief even have a private dining room before Amtrak?

And didn’t the Super Chief even have a private dining room before Amtrak?

The Super Chief had the Turquoise Room - it had to feel pretty small and I believe there was only one window in the dining room. I think it had to be reserved, was more like a private dining room where you would impress business travelers or for Hollywood Celebrities to eat in private.

Not Amtrak but pulled by them. Pullman Rail Journeys had some really high end cars CHI-NOL but the service went away after a couple of years. It may have been top end but was too costly for the service to continue. The service also could not use its own motive power. Private passenger train service like Brightline can operate but IMO, the operator must run the entire train for it to be profitable.

It wasn't particularly expensive. When I rode it was cheaper than a Roomette on the same train! The reason it went away is extremely complicated. The overall company was led by an ex-Amtrak executive who had good intentions but tried to expand his company too quickly. Amtrak was also hostile toward his company and wouldn't give his cars a slot on any NYC trains (he knew the money would be in Chicago - NYC service).

I'm really glad I rode it while I could and should have gotten in another ride or 2. Riding past Beale Street in Memphis in an Illinois Central Observation Car at midnight while sipping Baileys on ice in a "real glass" served by a uniformed "Pullman Porter" - never thought I'd get that experience in my lifetime!

The Super Chief had the Turquoise Room - it had to feel pretty small and I believe there was only one window in the dining room. I think it had to be reserved, was more like a private dining room where you would impress business travelers or for Hollywood Celebrities to eat in private.
Yes, the Turquoise Room in the Pleasure Dome. It was available for private parties, but was open to all passengers when not reserved. Looks like it seated about a dozen, but had a mirrored wall to make it seem larger. As seen here:

(I always thought the Pleasure Dome was at Xanadu -- that's Kubla Khan's, not Olivia Newton John's.) :)

Yes, the Turquoise Room in the Pleasure Dome. It was available for private parties, but was open to all passengers when not reserved. Looks like it seated about a dozen, but had a mirrored wall to make it seem larger. As seen here:

(I always thought the Pleasure Dome was at Xanadu -- that's Kubla Khan's, not Olivia Newton John's.) :)

Is there a version of this but for the hi-levels? Would love to watch it

The Turquoise Room looks truly first-class in every respect. That would be a $200 dinner in Manhattan.

Even the regular Heritage fleet equipped regular Amtrak trains of the 1980s seem luxurious compared to today, such as the Montrealer and Broadway Limited. Certainly better food although the traditional dining on the western trains have brought that back.

Depends on the equipment, the new viewliner II diners are really nice. It’s just a shame how they are being used.

The refurbished superliner sleepers are also very nice.

Back