Quantcast

Most scenic parts of Amtrak routes traversed during the night?

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

railiner

Conductor
I rememeber having dinner in the dining car with normal lighting and you could see Denver at night pretty well. I drew a diagram of the big 10 curve on the table to explain to my table mates the track layout we would be going through.

Do I win a train geek award for that? :p
Sure. I'll award you the Brass Figlagee, with Bronze Oak Leaf Palms...

anumberone

Conductor
AU Supporter
The night view into Denver doesn't work well in the reflective glass topped lounge. I haven;t seen it recently but some conductors would turn off the main lighting in the coaches and passengers would oooh and awww. About once or twice a year Train 5 is so late that it offers the night view, reminiscent of the westbound former D&RGW Prospector.
Maybe the reflective glass dimmed the lights, I think probably I wasn't paying attention at the right time. That particular train was running 6 or 7 hrs late, maybe someone had already shut out the lights.

Siegmund

Service Attendant
I remember the descent into Denver on 6 being quite pretty from the lounge car - but do not remember if the lights were dimmed or not (it's been a long time ago.)

But it's pretty much impossible to see dim or moonlight-illuminated scenery from coach or lounge; when I get a roomette, it's for the view at night with the room darkened/hallway curtain drawn, more so than for the bed.

flitcraft

OBS Chief
This isn't Amtrak, but on Via's Canadian, the Thompson and Fraser River Canyons east of Kamloops are usually traversed at night, though due to a late Canadian, we saw them during the day. They're spectacular.

Seaboard92

Conductor
If we are including VIA Trains into the mix then I have a segment to nominate.

On the Ocean from Mont Joli to Campbellton, especially the area near Matapedia. If you are lucky and a bit late going eastbound you will get the area near the Matapedia in daylight.

Then on the Canadian westbound.

Edmonton-Jasper is in darkness.
Kamloops-Vancouver is in darkness.

Eastbound on the Canadian.
Hope-Valemont is in darkness.

And I love Saskatchewan and find it an underrated part of the country.

jiml

Conductor
If we are including VIA Trains into the mix then I have a segment to nominate.

On the Ocean from Mont Joli to Campbellton, especially the area near Matapedia. If you are lucky and a bit late going eastbound you will get the area near the Matapedia in daylight.
Eastbound, sunrise started at Matapedia last November and it's a good thing - the next several miles are beautiful at dawn.