Motivation for traveling by train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell people that our Florida vacation starts as soon as we turn our luggage over to a Redcap. A vacation by air does not start until you find your luggage in the "arrivals" room. However, to be honest, we always fly home.
If I fly somewhere, I start relaxing when the plane touches down. But I don't really relax until I'm either driving my rental car off the airport property or the taxi drops me off at my destination. On the other hand, once I arrive at the train station before the train comes in, I find the whole journey to be relaxing, mostly, anyway.

What really motivates me to take a train is thinking about the rides along the NEC -- the segment between Wilmington and Philly that parallels I-495, the segment between Philadelphia and Trenton that parallels I-95, and the segment between New Carrolton and Washington that parallels US 50. I love sitting in the train, looking out the window as we zoom by all the traffic, even when there are no traffic jams and the cars are zipping along at full speed.

On the other hand, there are a few places between New Rochelle and New Haven that parallel the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95), and sometimes, even when there are traffic jams, the cars are going faster than the train. That's a little discouraging, but I always console myself by thinking that at least I'm not having to drive in that traffic.

Some places I didn't even know I cared to see.....besides the obvious natural landscapes, I found that just going in and out of a small town was interesting, such minor things as intersections with cars waiting for the train to pass, or the way the downtown business area would appear and disappear, almost like riding in a model train set. I'll follow with my Apple map and when we pass boarded up prisons and other historical buildings I didn't know existed, I'll often look it up and learn something. There is also the clear but somewhat depressing realization of just how badly winter takes its toll on the northeast. I was on the Silver Star in 2019 and noticed how much cleaner and better maintained the stations and surrounding areas were as the train went further and further south. Between the damage to concrete from freezing over time, and the shorter season available for painting and repairs, it was a very noticeable transition.
Yes, you do get a unique perspective on the physical landscape both manmade and natural, and there's a fascinating history behind that. but I was talking about something else.

For me. While I am not fond of flying. I will do it when I have too. I take the train because I enjoy it. I find it relaxing. Looking out the window watching the world go by. Seeing amazing things I find it nice not to have to deal with the Total Stupidity Administration. and their rules.

Then the people you meet. I had dinner with a retired Grenadier Guardsman and his wife. I had breakfast with a group of Korean School kids who were touring America. Another time I had dinner with some high up person.( whom I dont remember his name anymore) with Passenger Railway Association. To name a few.

As someone once told me. and i think it was here years ago. "remember the moment you step on the train your vacation has started. so dont be in a hurry and just enjoy the ride."
eagles more.png
This was taken on the eastbound EB back in March of 2011

Some places I didn't even know I cared to see.....besides the obvious natural landscapes, I found that just going in and out of a small town was interesting, such minor things as intersections with cars waiting for the train to pass, or the way the downtown business area would appear and disappear, almost like riding in a model train set. I'll follow with my Apple map and when we pass boarded up prisons and other historical buildings I didn't know existed, I'll often look it up and learn something. There is also the clear but somewhat depressing realization of just how badly winter takes its toll on the northeast. I was on the Silver Star in 2019 and noticed how much cleaner and better maintained the stations and surrounding areas were as the train went further and further south. Between the damage to concrete from freezing over time, and the shorter season available for painting and repairs, it was a very noticeable transition.
For us, part of the fun of taking a long-distance train trip begins even before we leave home. During the months leading up to our departure, we’ll read up about the routes we’ll be traveling over and the historic “name” trains that once used them. The LD train we take most often is the Southwest Chief which essentially follows the same route as the Santa Fe Chief and the Super Chief, once the trains of choice for the film stars and top executives who served the studios back in Hollywood’s most effulgent years. (Just knowing that we will be seeing many of the same sights and experiencing many of the same sensations as our favorite A-list movie stars from the 1930s and 1940s provides us with motivation to take the train!) As part of our trip preparation, we’ll also study old route guides from the 1920s, ‘30’s and early 1940’s which are much more extensive than the ones available today. These provide us with all manner of interesting information, including information about many of the small towns we’ll be passing through. When we travel, we’ll have with us route maps, a GPS device, and a radio scanner, all of which add much enjoyment to our trip.

The lower the value the better and the higher value the worst!

Yes, my very first sleeper ever - PDX LAX CS ROOMETTE was the worst. The family room was so taxing on the SCA that I received little attention other than a seating reservation. After My attempt my bed was jammed. The call button sent no one to help.

The coconut shrimp all gone at the first seating. Negotiate a small salad - NOPE.

The second day the train was still out of coconut shrimp and denied a salad.

My trip made a last minute change to drive to Jasper, Alberta and drive the Icefields Parkway thanks to a suggestion by my cousin. It’s about 3 hours drive with tons of vistas. She and her husband camped at many of them. This is really beautiful. I’ve driven the now I70 pass but this beats it! I have a lot to say .. funny thing I arrived just before the Rocky Mountaineer .. which I thought about riding.

The LSL gives me EVEN less motivation about LD train travel. The train is very noisy and shakes a lot with no relief.

But before my vacation ended I gave sleeper class another shot LAX TUC MY SCA was excellent - also red cap was excellent.

I know I’ll take the viaOcean but prolly drive or fly to Montreal. But in Coach. Unless Amtrak has a deal. haha.

Both pics are in Jasper Alberta CAN
254439E0-B3BC-4CBF-85F2-F272919266CF.jpeg

B1B676F7-8476-4332-AC8F-2B7A38884E42.jpeg

Even when the SCA ignores you, even when it’s the flex menu, even when there are delays and the train is not on time, taking the train is soothing, it’s my time, I clear my head, and for me a special treat if it rains, sleeping at night rocks me to sleep. I took my grand baby and his mom, years ago, we had a blast, in the sleeper, the rest of my family like to get their destination right away, although my hubbie said Hammond to Memphis was ok, I was shocked. But the train is awesome, I listen to music, catch up on my movies, I know one family who every year before Covid would take the train from NY to NO, about 12 of them

I have to admit I have always liked flying although the 2 hour security business at the airport and the jammed together seats puts a damper on it. Also the nickel and diming like charging for seat selection. But as the old Amtrak ad slogan used to say "there's something about a train that's magic". I always plan my trips with plenty of time so delays are not an issue and can just relax. Compared to the onerous boarding process at the airport it's cool to come to a small station walk onto the platform, maybe see a freight or two if you are lucky, then see the train roaring in and just get on.

We have been traveling almost exclusively by train for the past 16 years but due to the short scheduling we decided to fly last year and take an auto trip this year. Last year we left for Newark airport three hours early and made the flight with minutes to spare. The parking was tight, the airport scene was chaotic and TSA pulled me aside for get this, carrying an immersion heater. After they realized I wasn't Osama Bin Laden they sent my carry on bag to the back of the line for another 20 minutes of wait time. The flight was OK but the tightness of over 100 people in a small encapsulated area just didn't do it for us and that was in first class. If there was one positive thing, the food was quite good, much better than the Amtrak flex meal.
The motivation of traveling LD by train comes form the fact that it is a more relaxing environment. From station lounge to train is a quick, boarding is easy, convenient, we can take food and a small cooler, and once we are in our bedroom sleeper the rest of the ride is usually very pleasant. We very much enjoy the scenery, the bath w shower departing the train at extended stops and the privacy when we want it. When we arrive at our destination the rental car company picks us up or the car is waiting for us. In 2023 we will be back on the rails and we can't wait.

I'm always motivated to take a train. I live in Meriden, CT and my daughter lives in Milford so it's a straight shot on Amtrak/CT rail and Metro North. I can walk to the station or have my wife drive me. It beats battling traffic through New Haven. We have taken a lot of LD trains and plan on taking it to Florida for her wedding next year.
Hey, another member from CT! I appreciate our dense rail network, though the stupid decisions for Hartford Line summer construction work that somehow need to take place during the day and result in bustitutions for nearly all trains is ridiculous. Sigh.

At least its only for a couple of months. I have jury duty in New Haven August 4th and fortunately I can get the 6:53 out of Meriden; it's still running as a train. I guess it's early enough. I have seen the Amtrak bus a couple of times going towards Wallingford.

There are a few other threads that ask/answer this or similar question. One of them was "Why trains instead of planes?" I copied my answer from that thread to here:
1. Not as bad on climate change as is flying.
2. I don't have to take my shoes off and unpack a bunch of stuff going through TSA and thus don't have to put up with other passengers (or TSA) getting mad at me when I'm slow.
3. Passengers and crew aren't as cranky on trains as they are on airplanes.
4. I haven't gotten any respiratory sickness (or any other) during/after train trips which I do about 50% of the times that I have flown. I attribute that to the sardine-like nature of packing into the planes.
5. Trains are roomier. Even this tiny person has troubles on a plane; I just can't imagine what a tall person goes through.
6. I don't have to pay extra to check my luggage. I'm small and don't like to lug a lot of things around, so I always check my baggage when flying.
7. If I'm taking a sleeper, I get a massage all night long.
8. I like the aspect of being "forced" to share a booth with other people during meals. This encourages my introverted nature to practice conversation with others. I have met a number of very interesting people because of the diner car.
9. I LOVE gazing at the scenery. We have such a beautiful country.
10. I get to walk around as much as I like and climb stairs to try to stay in shape.
11. Often when I take a plane, my sinuses experience pain during the ascent and descent due to the sudden air pressure changes. Although, sometimes my ears pop when going up and down in the mountains on the train, there is no associated pain with that.

These are the reasons that first came to my mind; there may be others that are a bit more buried in my brain. Overall, I would say riding a long distance train is a treat whereas flying is a unpleasant burden.
I'm 6' 3", air travel is miserable. For me there is a one to one correspondence between each hour in the airplane and a day that my hips and back ache.

For the practical reason that I no longer drive and do not fly.

Aside from that, my motivation for taking the train (instead of just staying home and never traveling) always was that it was a reliable, comfortable, and worry-free mode of transportation.

For short distances on the NEC, I knew the conductors would alert me to when my stop was coming up, tell me which doors would open, and help me with my suitcase and getting down the steps if needed.

For long distances, the minute I settled into my roomette, had my ticket scanned, and met my SCA, I knew I did not have to worry about anything and could just relax.

This is still true of the short distances on the NEC,

Unfortunately, with Amtrak putting sleeper passengers into coach, plus cutting out a train here and there with little warning—both of which may have reasonable explanations but are unnerving to someone like me who takes the train for predictability and reliability —I am now afraid of taking the train out of the Northeast.

For the practical reason that I no longer drive and do not fly.

Aside from that, my motivation for taking the train (instead of just staying home and never traveling) always was that it was a reliable, comfortable, and worry-free mode of transportation.

For short distances on the NEC, I knew the conductors would alert me to when my stop was coming up, tell me which doors would open, and help me with my suitcase and getting down the steps if needed.

For long distances, the minute I settled into my roomette, had my ticket scanned, and met my SCA, I knew I did not have to worry about anything and could just relax.

This is still true of the short distances on the NEC,

Unfortunately, with Amtrak putting sleeper passengers into coach, plus cutting out a train here and there with little warning—both of which may have reasonable explanations but are unnerving to someone like me who takes the train for predictability and reliability —I am now afraid of taking the train out of the Northeast.
At one time you could have ridden the Hound or Trailways ( Golden Eagle Service was Very Nice!) pretty much anywhere in North America for an affordable Fare, but LD Bus Service is going the way of the Dodo!

What is your motivation for traveling by train?
If someone says it is a waste of time and you could get to where you're going faster by plane, what would you tell them?
I am taking Amtrak now (I’m on a train) because the schedules work for me. I am taking the train one way (overnight) and flying back. I could fly both ways, but doing a day trip by plane would mean leaving really early or arriving back really late; I could fly and stay overnight but a hotel plus flights would be even more expensive than an Amtrak sleeping car.

Back