Mount St. Helens Eurption

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading Steve's topic in "Improvement" Forum about the extinct train route. It mentioned about the eruption of Mount St. Helens and the Empire Builder picking up stranded people. It makes me interesting about it.

Is/are anybody know(s) about it and tell us about it?

On May 18, 1980, in southwestern Washington, Mount St. Helens erupted, detroying more than 150 square miles of prime Northwest forest, Spirit Lake, etc. and sending ash several miles into the air. The ash cloud went eastward, blanketing Yakima (WA), turning 12:00 noon into nighttime conditions. The cloud moved across eastern Washington, Idaho, Montana, and beyond. I had firends from Billings tell me about the ash covering their lawns.

There are a number of Web sites about Mount St. Helens that can give people more information--more accurately--than I can. People can also access information from sites devoted to the state of Washington and to affected counties--Clark, Lewis, and Cowlitz. The US Geological Volcano Observatory is located in Vancouver, Washington, and has a Web site. Not only can people get information about past eruptions of Mount St. Helens, but they can find out about current conditions of the mountain (it is constantly being monitored). They can also find out about other volcanoes around the world.

The Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument is about an hour and half drive from Portland (about 2 hours from Seattle) and makes a pleasant, intriguing outing. The are several visitor's centers, each one dealing with a different aspect of the eruption. The one at Silver Lake (the one nearest to Interstate 5) has the most information about the eruption, mud flows, the aftermath, geological information, etc. The Coldwater Ridge Center concentrates on the recovery--how some animals and plants survived, the recovery of the area (trees, plants, animals are all growing and coming back at noticeable rates). Coldwater Lake has fish in it. There are numerous hiking trails. Everytime I go back, I see something different; things have grown back that much more.

The most exciting center, I think, is the one on Johnston Ridge: it has volcano monitoring equipment and one can look directly into the crater, which is only five miles distant. However, weather must be cooperative, which isn't always. After all, this is the Pacific Northwest, which rain is a constant, and the mountains themselves are known to create their own weather.

however, this is still interesting, and these weather conditions are also a part of the reshaping and revitalizing of Mount St, Helens and its environs.

Another way to find out more about Mount St. Helens is on television.

The Discovery, Learning, History, and Travel channels and Public Television all have frequent programs about natural wonders, disasters, "Wrath of God" series, "When Nature Strikes, etc. that often have features about Mount St, Helens. Keep a lookout for them.

gswager said:
Did the Empire Builder became a "rescue train" to pick up the stranded people along the tracks as a result of volcano eruption?
I wonder the same thing. Nobody who has posted to this thread has answered the question. Are there any stories here?

Yes, the Builder did pick up stranded motorists, etc., as a result of the May 18 eruption. There was a short article about it in the December 1980 I think that was the one--it was more than 20 years ago) issue of "Trains" magazine. I, too, would be interested in hearing from people who either were rescued--or who helped people to be rescued--during this time. Perhaps people have more information, perhaps news articles from the time. One thing I do remember reading was that, because of the ash, car filters were not able to handle that much ash, while Amtrak locomotives were able to weather it longer and were less affected. Like I said, I, too, would love to hear from people--engineers, conductors, train personnel, BN railroad employees--who can shed more light on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back