Movie question: station in "Benjamin Button"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," there's a prominent scene in the beginning of the movie, and a brief one later on, set in an old neoclassical (white marble, pillars, etc.) train station that in the movie is the New Orleans railway station. The main hall or waiting room was about the right size station for a city of New Orleans's size; that is, it's not a huge space like Grand Central in New York or Chicago Union Station.

Now it's clearly not the present 1950's-built New Orleans station, but the movie was filmed extensively in New Orleans. The green St. Charles Avenue streetcars make several appearances, for instance.

The station is shown from the outside as well as the main hall, so while the interior shot may have just been a sound-stage, some real neoclassical building was used for the exterior and I would be surprised if it didn't have a large lobby suitable for doubling as a train station waiting room.

So, does anyone who's seen the movie know what building "played" the New Orleans station in "Benjamin Button"? Is it a bank or government building in New Orleans? Is it a real train station in some other mid-sized city?

In the movie "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," there's a prominent scene in the beginning of the movie, and a brief one later on, set in an old neoclassical (white marble, pillars, etc.) train station that in the movie is the New Orleans railway station. The main hall or waiting room was about the right size station for a city of New Orleans's size; that is, it's not a huge space like Grand Central in New York or Chicago Union Station.
Now it's clearly not the present 1950's-built New Orleans station, but the movie was filmed extensively in New Orleans. The green St. Charles Avenue streetcars make several appearances, for instance.

The station is shown from the outside as well as the main hall, so while the interior shot may have just been a sound-stage, some real neoclassical building was used for the exterior and I would be surprised if it didn't have a large lobby suitable for doubling as a train station waiting room.

So, does anyone who's seen the movie know what building "played" the New Orleans station in "Benjamin Button"? Is it a bank or government building in New Orleans? Is it a real train station in some other mid-sized city?
I haven't seen the film, but IMDB say it was filmed in these locations:

Cambodia

Cité du Cinéma, Montréal, Québec, Canada (studio)

Donaldsonville, Louisiana, USA

India

Laplace, Louisiana, USA

Los Angeles, California, USA

Mandeville, Louisiana, USA (English Channel beach shots)

Montréal, Québec, Canada

Morgan City, Louisiana, USA

New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Aloha

This Link to a movie database is as close as I had time to find. Good luck

Addition

Looking further I found the answer, It is Grand Central Terminal NYC Here is the link to answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrFSS said:
GG-1 said:
Looking further I found the answer, It is Grand Central Terminal NYC Here is the link to answer.
I went to IMDB first, before I posted here, so I saw both the location list and the opinion on the "goofs" page that it was Grand Central Terminal. Whoever posted that on IMDB clearly believes that neoclassical train station = GCT. :rolleyes:

The building used for the exterior shot was definitely not GCT, not by its size or its appearance except for it being generically neoclassical. Also, unless they used some smaller waiting room off the enormous main hall at GCT, the interior room wasn't remotely big enough. As I stated in my original posting:

The main hall or waiting room was about the right size station for a city of New Orleans's size; that is, it's not a huge space like Grand Central in New York or Chicago Union Station.
(Underline added).

MrFSS said:
GG-1 said:
I went to IMDB first, before I posted here, so I saw both the location list and the opinion on the "goofs" page that it was Grand Central Terminal. Whoever posted that on IMDB clearly believes that neoclassical train station = GCT. :rolleyes:

The building used for the exterior shot was definitely not GCT, not by its size or its appearance except for it being generically neoclassical. Also, unless they used some smaller waiting room off the enormous main hall at GCT, the interior room wasn't remotely big enough. As I stated in my original posting:

The main hall or waiting room was about the right size station for a city of New Orleans's size; that is, it's not a huge space like Grand Central in New York or Chicago Union Station.
(Underline added).
Aloha Again

Well your comment challenged me. I located the Locations manager that worked on that movie and called him to ask about the movie. The exterior was the Court property at toulan(spelling based on Davids accent) & Broad. the Platform was built as a set on a siding and the train was from The Louisiana Steam train Assoc. the interior of the waiting room was also a set

MrFSS said:
GG-1 said:

(Underline added).
Aloha Again

Well your comment challenged me. I located the Locations manager that worked on that movie and called him to ask about the movie. The exterior was the Court property at toulan(spelling based on Davids accent) & Broad. the Platform was built as a set on a siding and the train was from The Louisiana Steam train Assoc. the interior of the waiting room was also a set
Now THAT'S dedication to this forum!! Great job, Eric! :)

"Toulan" ? ? ? Based on the other information in your post, I would guess that this would also be a place in Louisiana, but, I have worked in South Louisiana and have a fairly good ear for the accent and I still cannot guess what the real spelling and name of this place is.

Aloha Again
Thanks! Googling "New Orleans courthouse Tulane Broad" got me a picture of the former courthouse in question, and it's definitely the "station" in the movie.

And as jackal said, you definitely went above & beyond! I just thought someone on this forum who lived in or was familiar with New Orleans would have seen both the movie and the building. I didn't expect actual research, other than the internet kind.

Aloha Again
Thanks! Googling "New Orleans courthouse Tulane Broad" got me a picture of the former courthouse in question, and it's definitely the "station" in the movie.

And as jackal said, you definitely went above & beyond! I just thought someone on this forum who lived in or was familiar with New Orleans would have seen both the movie and the building. I didn't expect actual research, other than the internet kind.
Is this it? I haven't seen the movie yet.

Here's a Google Street View.

Is this it? I haven't seen the movie yet.Here's a Google Street View.
Yes, that's the place. The view in the first link emphasizes the Art Deco-ish end(s) of the building, while the movie focused on the long neoclassical facade facing Tulane Avenue. For good reason: the station in the movie is supposed to be a brand-new station in 1918, so a little early for Art Deco.

Is this it? I haven't seen the movie yet.Here's a Google Street View.
Yes, that's the place. The view in the first link emphasizes the Art Deco-ish end(s) of the building, while the movie focused on the long neoclassical facade facing Tulane Avenue. For good reason: the station in the movie is supposed to be a brand-new station in 1918, so a little early for Art Deco.
Ok, I "cruised" down Tulane in"street view". Got to see the movie one of these days...

"Toulan" ? ? ? Tulane. Of course <slaps head>
Aloha

And at first I thought David had said 2 lane and Broad. But then I realised he had not paused and I thought it was one word.

BTW I have never had the chance to visit NOL other than passing through on the Sunset Limited.

John Bredin said:
Only made 3 phone calls and one was to the wrong office (stage hands instead of Studio mechanics) The correct union Office referred me to the Locations Manager David. David And I have never met but we both worked with the Hawaii 5-0 Locations Manager so it was a pleasant conversation, So I had fun with it also.

Eric

John,

To answer your question, that is New Orleans Courthouse located on Tulane ave. It is located between Claiborne and Broad. It was never a train station, but they certainly were able to make it look like one! It is truly a beautiful building and I am fortunate to see it almost everyday. hope this helps!

idk if anyway cares about this but im from around the new orleans area and the house that served as the nursing home is on the corner of fourth street and coliseum street. its off of st. charles av. i passed by it today :)

idk if anyway cares about this but im from around the new orleans area and the house that served as the nursing home is on the corner of fourth street and coliseum street. its off of st. charles av. i passed by it today :)

also, i forgot to say the scene where daisy dances and benjamin watches is in audobon park right across from the zoo. its a nice little freestanding canopy facing a pond. i saw that today too :D

Back