Moynihan/NYP update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the Crescent now, heading back to Baltimore after my loop trip on the LSL across Massachusetts. My Empire service train arrived from Albany on time. Wayfinding signs for Moynihan are on the platform, you have to look down. I do think there are more of them than there were last April. We arrived on track 5 or 6, the escalator spit us out right near the entrance to the Metropolitan Lounge. They've eliminated the Covid contract tracing stuff and temperature check. I stowed by bag in one of the unlocked lockers and retrieved it when I left with no problem. I sampled the "chicken Caesar power-roll" and a garden salad. The wrap was OK, the salad was pretty nice, the veggies were fresh, but I think there was only ranch dressing packed with the salad. Then I went out and got a New York slice at Pizza Suprema across the street. Be advised that a cheese slice is $4, a pepperoni slice is $5, and the fancy stuff is $6. But it is really good pizza, and the slices are pretty big.

Be aware that there appears to be no more pre-boarding from the lounge, which negates one of the advantages of being able to use it. When they announced the train in the lounge, they were already announcing general boarding. This wasn't just for my train, but all of the trains that left before mine. I had asked for a redcap in an attempt to board even earlier. They didn't even call for us until after they announced general boarding. If you are in a sleeper, and all you want is help with your bags, I guess it doesn't matter, but facing the prospect of being the last person on ,and having a roller bag, I cancelled my redcap request and went to the gate.

When I got on the platform, there was a crowd near the only entrance two the two coaches being carried on the Crescent today. The attendant was assigning seats at the door, which made the line back up. Actually, two lines, as there was also a crowd coming from the direction of the escalators from the old Penn Station, and from the look of the line, more people were boarding from the old station than from the new Train Hall. Just when I got to the head of the line to get my seat assignment, someone came form the inside of the car and told the attendant that someone was sitting in his seat. So I was left cooling my heels for a few minutes while that was taken care of. Then I got my seat assignment, went into the coach and found that some was sitting in MY seat. :) So I called the attendant, and after some discussion, he told me to sit in the empty seat pair behind the seat I was originally assigned, even though it was reserved for people with disabilities. (The person in my initial seat was claiming a disability.) So in the end, I have 2 seats to myself, at least to Trenton, which we are now entering. Look, I understand why the attendants want to assign seats, but why don't they just issue seat assignments when you make the reservations? They clearly have the IT capabilities as demonstrated by the Acelas and NER business class procedures. Why not extend it to LD coach, too? Station dwell times a re much longer because of this fussing around on the platform assigning seats.

Well, as I suspected they needed my seat for someone boarding at Trenton. However, the attendant said I could just go into the next car and find an empty seat, which I did.

Well, it's an experience, and at least the train is running well. And I have a nice roomy Amfleet 2 LD coach seat for a NEC ride. But it looks like they still have a few kinks to iron out at Moynihan as passenger loads increase. In fact, I think they're going to need another ticked passenger general waiting area, as the current one was already full when I checked it out. Another reason the Metropolitan Lounge would be worth it, even if they sderved no food.

Strange to hear about the lack of preboarding and the seating issues. I wonder if it was unique to long distance trains that are *trying* to do seat assignments. As you said, they should either assign it at purchase or make it free choice. Don't know why they had to go crazy assigning seats in two coaches.

As mentioned before, when I was there a few weeks ago, the lounge people pretty much told me personally to head on down, and I wandered down the escalator and directly onto an Acela with no one even around to glance at my ticket. The ticket and seat were confirmed by the extremely helpful car attendant who also brought me a drink. My friend and I had two single window seats (our preference). I asked if we could move to an empty table for dinner, and at first she said that she'd have to have the conductor "move" our tickets, but later she just said to go for it, as long as we moved if someone boarded with those seats assigned.

At least one thing to be said for the old NYP Amtrak (ticketed) lounge, it may have been busy but it was huge and I never had a problem finding a seat.

As mentioned before, when I was there a few weeks ago, the lounge people pretty much told me personally to head on down, and I wandered down the escalator and directly onto an Acela with no one even around to glance at my ticket. The ticket and seat were confirmed by the extremely helpful car attendant who also brought me a drink.

That was pretty much my experience when I went in April. But, being an Acela, preboarding isn't such a big deal, as all the seats are assigned anyway.

At least one thing to be said for the old NYP Amtrak (ticketed) lounge, it may have been busy but it was huge and I never had a problem finding a seat.

The old waiting area is still there.

The waiting areas they have in Moynihan are nice, but I don't understand the trend of having a station consist mainly of a huge open space with no seats. Washington Union Station is probably the worst for this, but Moynihan isn't a lot better. I saw a lot of people sitting on the floor, which shouldn't be necessary given how much money was spent.

The waiting areas they have in Moynihan are nice, but I don't understand the trend of having a station consist mainly of a huge open space with no seats. Washington Union Station is probably the worst for this, but Moynihan isn't a lot better. I saw a lot of people sitting on the floor, which shouldn't be necessary given how much money was spent.
Even though it's a Commuter Station now, GCT has the same problem.

With traffic picking up on the NEC again, I Amtrak needs to come up with a plan to handle the Waiting Crowds in the Beautiful New Moynihan Train Hall, the current Waiting Room seems too small if people are having to sit on their Luggage or Floor

Have they dismantled the waiting hall with seats next to the rotunda in the old Penn Station? Anecdotally a slight majority of the boarding is still happening from the old station because of its better connectivity to the NYC transit system
Even though it's a Commuter Station now, GCT has the same problem.

With traffic picking up on the NEC again, I Amtrak needs to come up with a plan to handle the Waiting Crowds in the Beautiful New Moynihan Train Hall, the current Waiting Room seems too small if people are having to sit on their Luggage or Floor
Truth be told, Penn Station never really had enough seating space for everyone that had to wait to board a train there. The situation only becomes worse with the advent of great amounts of Trans-Hudson Suburban traffic, which originally went to Jersey City - Pavonia - Hoboken and took the ferries.

I don't think LIRR ever had enough seating for its Suburban folks. It is arguable that PRR had enough seating for the patrons for all its trains either.

Last edited:
Have they dismantled the waiting hall with seats next to the rotunda in the old Penn Station? Anecdotally a slight majority of the boarding is still happening from the old station because of its better connectivity to the NYC transit system

It was still there in May

There was a portable red cap stand next to the waiting area when I was there this morning, although I am not sure if it is there all the time

I do also wish the trend of not having very many seats is unfortunate both here and elsewhere. Probably my least favorite thing on the current Acela sets is the lack of decent seating in the cafe. Of course you might have to deal with some people hanging out too long. So do city parks and subway stations and coffee shops, but they still have benches or tables.

I do also wish the trend of not having very many seats is unfortunate both here and elsewhere. Probably my least favorite thing on the current Acela sets is the lack of decent seating in the cafe. Of course you might have to deal with some people hanging out too long. So do city parks and subway stations and coffee shops, but they still have benches or tables.

Aren’t the new Avelia Liberty train set Cafe’s designed to have ZERO seats?

Also, am I correct in that from the current Acela first class, you can’t move about the train? I don’t remember having access to the café car at all from first class on my previous two trips on the Acela with rewards upgrades.

Aren’t the new Avelia Liberty train set Cafe’s designed to have ZERO seats?

Also, am I correct in that from the current Acela first class, you can’t move about the train? I don’t remember having access to the café car at all from first class on my previous two trips on the Acela with rewards upgrades.
You most certainly do have access from FC to the rest of the train. You just have to squeeze thru the galley to get there.

Uh-oh. That's not OK. My partner often needs a red cap due to mobility impairments.

I don't know if this would work for you in Chicago, but it worked for me at Washington.

I obtained the phone number of the Red Cap's Office at Union Station. I called that number to request a Red Cap while my ride was en route to the station. A Red Cap appeared shortly after I got there and while I was standing outside of the entrances on Massachusetts Avenue. Getting that phone number might be a challenge, however.

Back